GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ginny Quick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Feb 2000 19:32:16 -0600
Hello, Jabou, about the ignorance pertaining to Islam...
     I got this a lot just before my first trip to The Gambia.  I am blind
and have a guide dog named Abby, and planned on taking her with me when I
went to The Gambia.  Why not?  Abby didn't go through the training, and
valuable time and money was not spent on Abby so that I could leave her at
home with my parents when it became inconvenient for me to take her
anywhere.
     Anyway, when I told my family I'd planned on takingher with me, my
father, mainly, first said to me to check to make sure that they did not eat
dogs in Africa.  Which I reacted with astonishment that he would say such a
thing.  Then, he said to me that Muslims considered dogs unclean, and to be
careful with Abby.
     This upset me greatly not because I thought something would happen to
Abby but that my dad would say such things.  My father is someone who has
been to many places around the world, having spent 20 years in the Air
Force.
     I think that many people here in America have negative impressions of
Africa and of Islam as well.
     Take care, all, I'm going off line now, I amhearing thunder and this
computer has already been hit by lightning once, I wouldn't want it to
happen again.
Again, take care all and be safe!