GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 23 Mar 2007 21:23:18 EDT
Foroyaa Newspaper Burning Issue
Issue No.  33/2007,  21 – 22 March 2007

Editorial
THE HIV/AIDS ISSUE  AGAIN
Our Recommendation
Health has its preventive, curative and  rehabilitative components. Medical
Science teaches that the healthy human body  is capable of self rejuvenation.
In short, the body has its own protective parts  which fight parasites and save
the human being from many illnesses. This means  that even though the human
body may be exposed to many harmful parasites, the  capacity of the body’s
defence system to fight them can make the person to  maintain good health. The
immune system of the human being is the final line of  defence to prevent
illness. In addition to the immune system, knowledge of the  mode of transmission of
illnesses can assist human beings to prevent it. This  can come by either
cleaning the environment so that the parasites would be  destroyed or by
developing habits or protective gears that prevent contact with  the parasites. The
primary phase of ensuring good health is therefore the  preventive phase.
Suffice it to say, once the preventive line of defence  fails and the human
organs and tissues are involved, one must find the medicine  to destroy the
parasite or flush it out of the body. This is the curative phase  which is the
secondary phase of maintaining a healthy body.
Thirdly, once  cure is effected, tissues and organs may have to be restored
to normalcy. This  is the third phase of maintaining good health which is the
rehabilitative  phase.
The study of HIV/AIDS had revealed that the parasite destroys the  immune
system and leaves the body defenceless against other parasites. This  means that
the person can experience all types of illnesses aside from the  HIV/AIDS
infections.
These are called the opportunistic infections.
The  general approach to HIV/AIDS had been the preventive one since no cure
is yet to  have universal recognition.
On the other hand, attempts have been made to  counsel those that have been
infected to have good nutrition and avoid  discrimination and loss of self
esteem and the use of anti retroviral drugs to  prevent opportunistic infections.
Experiments are going on in many parts of  the world to find a cure. Since
there are patients now going through treatment  under president Jammeh, Dr Mbowe
and his team should stop the polemics against  critics.
Since different results are being given for different patients, what  the
scientific method demands is standardization in identification of patients,
treatment and periodic testing. If Dr. Mbowe wishes to take the heat off his
chest, what he should do is to involve the MRC in identifying the HIV/AIDS
patients. Those who volunteer to go through the treatment could be divided into  two
groups, that is, those who would continue to receive anti retroviral drugs
and nutrients purporting to be the medicine given by the President. The other
group will go through the treatment. MRC could then do the periodic tests
following the periodic phases of treatment. This will enable the MRC to validate
any claims of cure. Even if a cure is not validated, the actual
experimentation  will reveal how good nutrition and accommodation may prolong the lives of
those  living with HIV/AIDS.
Teaming up with an Independent Research Institution, so  that they do the
tests to identify the patients and then follow up with tests  after treatment to
verify effectiveness, is the credible way forward.

GROUNDNUT TRADE SEASON IN LIMBO
By Yaya Dampha
Foroyaa has  reliably learned that the 2006/2007 groundnut trade season is in
limbo Reports  have it that the Seccos are not functioning and this is
hampering the marketing  of groundnut..
This reporter contacted farmers across the country, in a bid  to find out
some of the problems they are currently grappling with.
A farmer  in Jappineh said Chief Yaya Jarjussey who represents the
Cooperative Union in  that area went to them and told them that a vehicle will go round
to collect  nuts and take them to Tendaba. He said those whose nuts were
collected, are yet  to be paid. Another farmer in Bureng said they have decided to
sell their nuts  at the weekly market (lumo). The farmer said most of them
have less than the  minimum quantity (five tonnes) that groundnut dealers buy
from farmers, noting  that those who have over five tonnes to sell are either
finding it hard to  transport their nuts to faraway depots or accept selling
their nuts on  credit..
A farmer in Geniere said that, a few weeks ago, a private buyer came  to
their village with trucks from Senegal and bought their nuts on the spot. He  said
that, almost, all the farmers around Kiang Central sold their nuts to this
buyer. Farmers   in Njai Kunda and Mamut Fana said their nuts were  bought by
private buyers. The farmer said many of them were unable to transport  their
nuts to Kudang.
Farmers in the South Bank of Central River Region said  they all have to go
to Kaur or sell their nuts at the weekly markets  (lumos).
Many farmers, elsewhere in the country have given similar complaints  in
selling their nuts.
The idea of centralized buying in the regions is  affecting farmers.
When contacted, chief Yaya Jarjusey denied his  involvement in this year’s
trade season. He said he is representing the  cooperative union in the region
which is not engaged in the buying of nuts this  year. He however said he was
aware of the farmer’s platform which is engaged in  collecting nuts for onward
transportation to Konkoba.
When I called the  chairman of the farmers’ platform, Mr. Musa Jawneh, he
said his association in  collaboration with the GGC took nuts from the (LRD)
Lower River Region to  Konkoba. He said those farmers were paid after the second
week of delivering  their groundnuts. He further informed our reporter that he
is also aware of  certain people going round the country collecting nuts from
farmers without  paying them on the pretext that they are taking the nuts to
the GGC deport in  Konkoba. He said he is going round the country so that he
can find out who these  people are and why they are not paying farmers their
monies. He promised to  inform Foroyaa of his findings.

SERGEANT BUBA JAMMEH HELD  INCOMMUNICADO
By Modou Jonga
Sergeant Buba Jammeh of the state guards is  still held in incommunicado
detention.
Readers could recall that Sergeant  Jammeh was arrested in June 2006
following  the “Freedom Newspaper  Scandal”.
While he was initially detained  at the National  Intelligence Agency
Headquarters, his family members were allowed to see  him.  Family members have
expressed concern about the state of health of  the detained soldier since he was
transferred   to the Central Prison  in November. They said they were not even
informed of his transfer.
These  family members indicated that they are still not aware of any charge
against  Sergeant Jammeh.

LETTER TO NADD EXECUTIVE BY EX-FLAG BEARER, HALIFA  SALLAH
Contd from Last Issue
I made it abundantly clear that no passport  or identity card exist in The
Gambia that is designed specifically for  Mandinkas, Fulas, Wolofs, Jolas,
Serehules, Akus or those who classify  themselves as members of tribes, in general.
What exist are a National Passport  and a National Identity Card. To focus
minds on the importance of National  Identity, I risked oversimplifying my
message by asking people whether they pay  taxes and duties into tribal treasuries.
The lessons were further driven by  asking whether the monies paid are
utilized to build schools, hospitals, roads  and render other social services to
strictly benefit members of specific tribes.  The people never hesitated to
respond in the negative.
Once the question of  National Identity was put to the fore I went further to
buttress our common and  equal ownership of the country which is embodied in
the concept of one person  one vote.
I took time to explain to them that it is that common ownership of  the
country which makes it obligatory for them to have equal say in determining  how
the country is administered. The possession of this will power to say how  the
affairs of the country are to be managed, is what gave rise to the
constitutional dictum that “The sovereignty of The Gambia resides in the people  of The
Gambia.” I emphasize that to be conscious of ones national Identity is to  be
cognizant of one’s possession of a “will power” and voice to say who should
manage the affairs of this country. This awareness that one possesses a
National  will power and a voice that are equal in measure to that of all other
nationals  is what makes each Gambian a custodian of the sovereignty and
independence of  the country.
Compatriots, I emphasized to them that no single Gambian has any  personal
power that was superior to the other; that the power exercised by  members of
the executive, legislature or judiciary are entrusted to each to  serve the
common interest. I conveyed the content of section 1 subsection 2 of  the
constitution in our various languages. It states categorically that “The  sovereignty
of The Gambia resides in the people of The Gambia from whom all  organs of
government derive their authority and in whose name and for whose  welfare and
prosperity the powers of government are to be exercised.”
I  stressed the point that power belongs to the people; that the authority of
the  president and the legislators are supposed to be derived from the
expression of  the will of the people. It was made clear that it is mandatory for
all those  entrusted with the power of the people to exercise it to promote
their general  welfare including the protection of their fundamental rights and
freedoms and  enhancing their prosperity. It was made evident that only a people
who are  conscious of their sovereign powers and are determined to exercise
their  sovereign will power freely to put public trustees in the office of
president  and legislators should expect them to be sensitive to and work
tirelessly to  promote their general welfare and prosperity. I further argued that a
people  whose will are bound by thousands and one chains of inducement and
intimidation  cannot express it freely.  Such people cannot he a sovereign people.
It was  put in the most unequivocal terms that, as long as people continue to
submit to  prejudices of tribe, intimidation and inducement of what ever
design or form,  the country will continue to be a sovereign nation without a
sovereign people. A  crisis of identity would lead to a clash of loyalties,
parochial sentiments and  interests. Ultimately, the national interest as chambered
in the pursuit of  social cohesion or unity, liberty, dignity, prosperity,
that is the general  welfare, shall be the casualty.
It was therefore made evident that the  creation of a society that can
guarantee the liberty, dignity and prosperity of  the people is irretrievably linked
to the free exercise of will and power to  make informed choice. Those who
failed to exercise such choice mortgage their  future and the future of their
children to a destiny of poverty and  degradation.. I did not only stop at using
the best traditions in our languages  to empower the people through fables
and proverbs, I went further to concretely  explain the functions of the
executive and the legislature.
I inferred that  if the country is taken as a bread basket, the role of the
executive is to  ensure that our material and human resources are put to work
to replenish the  basket so that each can reap his or her fair share in
investment or employment.  I have explained it, in not uncertain terms, that it was
the duty of the  executive to translate policies into action plans; plans into
programme ;  programmes in projects that could to address the multifarious
developmental  needs of the country. I told them that if there is hunger in the
country they  should ask the person they have put in charge of their National
bread basket. In  the same vein, it was indicated to them that responsibility
without  accountability provides a fertile ground for abuse of office and
misrepresentation and impunity in governance; that the principles of best
practice in managing the affairs of a sovereign people dictates that power given  to
one organ of the state should be subjected to scrutiny by another organ of
the state.
I emphasized that the National Assembly is created to scrutinize  the way the
executive and its Departments Manage the affairs of the country and  restrain
them from abuse of office or misrepresentation by exposing what is  going
wrong and indicating how to right it. I indicated that the National  Assembly
member must be able to analyse bills, international agreements,  policies and
programmes, as well as evaluate projects to be able to make a  meaningful
contribution to national development. Our platform for the National  Assembly
election sought to help the people to see the distinctions between the  roles of the
executive, the national assembly and the councils. The candidates  who opposed
me sought to blur the distinct functions to bar the electorate from  making
informed choices.
It is important to give you a graphic of the  campaign trail, the issues
raised by my opponents; the views I express to  respond to their positions, the
reactions of the electorate and what was  responsible for the ultimate outcome.
This should enable us to weigh initiatives  against results; gauge the whole
performance of NADD, in light of the objectives  that gave birth to it and map
out a way forward. In this way, I will be able to  situate my role in aiding
the democratic revolution forward so as to usher in an  empowered generation,
fully capable and committed to take charge of their  destiny.
To be continued

BEGGARS CHARGED FOR OBSTRUCTING TRAFFIC
By  Bubacarr K. Sowe
Superintendent Famara Jobarteh, the new spokesperson of the  Gambia Police
Force, has confirmed that eight beggars have been charged with  offences
relating to the Highway Act.
Jobarteh told Foroyaa on Tuesday that  they were arrested at diverse places
in the Kanifing Municipality. He said that  the authorities are concerned over
the presence of beggars on the highways,  which he said obstructs the traffic.
He also said that these beggars have  already been arraigned before a court,
recently, and one of them pleaded not  guilty.
Mohammed Korah, President of the Gambia Federation of the Disabled  (GFD),
has claimed that beggars were cleared from the Serrekunda Mosque last  Friday.
He added that the said beggars were detained by the police and released
shortly after the Mid-afternoon (Jumah) prayers. The GFD President said he  believes
the arrest of the beggars on Friday was to bar them from receiving  alms.
Mr. Korah also called on religious leaders such as Imams and Bishops to
appeal to the police to leave beggars in peace.
However, superintendent  Jobarteh has denied the arrest of the beggars on
Friday.

POLICE TO CHARGE  WIFE FOR ALLEGED MURDER
By Isatou Bittaye
Tabara Samba, the wife of Ebrima  Nian, will be charged with murder, said
police spokesperson, Superintendent  Famara Jobarteh. Ebrima Nian died on Friday
at the RVTH after Tabara Samba,the  wife, allegedly poured hot oil on him. The
police spokesperson said that Tabara  is under police custody at the major
crime unit and is helping the police with  their investigation. Superintendent
Jobarteh added that the matter will be taken  to court and Tabara will be
charged with murder.
Ebrima Nian was 65 years  old. He has spent most of his life in Sweden. He
returned to the Gambia in 2003  and later married Tabara Samba. Mr. Nian is
survived by four children, three  daughters and one son. The deceased’s sister,
Mam Sosseh Conteh, indicated that  on Tuesday 6th March 2007, at around 1.30 am,
his brother came to their home and  told them that his wife, Tabara poured
hot oil on him. She said the family  rushed him to Lamtoro clinic and upon their
arrival, they were told by staff at  the clinic that they would not attend to
him because it is a criminal case. Mam  Sosseh added that the wife Tabara
told them that she did not pour hot oil on her  husband. She said Tabara told
them that her husband came home with charred body.  Mam said that the late Ebrima
Nian was rushed to RVTH around 5am and was  admitted there, but during his
admission at the RVTH, they didn’t see any  improvement on him, noting that the
injuries were serious, and he finally  succumbed to death on Friday. Mam
Sosseh further stated that the doctors had  told them that if the health condition
of Nian did not improve, they would make  recommendations for him to be taken
abroad for treatment.
Mam noted that they  did not know the family background of Tabara; that she
is a Senegalese national  and who got married to Mr. Nian in 2004. She added
that they, (Family members of  Mr. Nian), are not aware of Mr. Nian’s intention
to marry another wife as  alleged. Mam Sosseh further said that Ebrima was a
diabetes and asthmatic  patient. She said that Mr. Nian was working in Sweden
and got pensioned, noting  that since his return to the Gambia, he has not been
working. Mam Sosseh  expressed sorrow over the death of their brother Mr.
Ebrima Nian.

AZIZ  TAMBA AND CO TRIAL IN CHAMBERS
By Fabakary B. Ceesay
OC Ebrima Dibba, the  prosecutor in the criminal trial involving Aziz Tamba
and two others, has  applied for the case to be heard in chambers on Tuesday.
When the case was  called for the fourth prosecution witness to testify, OC
Dibba stood up and  asked the court to hear the matter in chambers. He said, “
because of certain  issues, I want the case to be heard in chambers.”
Magistrate Jammeh granted  the application, but demanded that the prosecutor
should tell him why the case  should be heard in chambers.
As employees of the Kanilai Family Farm between  2005 – 2006, Aziz Tamba,
Famara Colley and Mustapha Bojang are accused of  stealing over D19 million
dalasi. Hearing continues on Thursday, 27th March,  2006.

ACDHRS CELEBRATE INTERNATIONAL WOMEN’S DAY
By Annia Gaye
The  African Centre for Democracy and Human Rights Studies (ACDHRS) in the
Gambia, in  collaboration with the Gambia Press Union, celebrates the 8th of
March  international women’s day in a form of a symposium held at the Paradise
Suite  Hotel on Monday 19the March 2006.
The theme for this year’s celebration was  “Ending impunity on Gender Based
Violence Against Women and Girls.”
In  chairing the symposium, Mrs. Hagar Fola Allen said the objective of the
symposium is to raise awareness on the issue of Gender Based Violence in the
country as violence exposes women vulnerability to HIV/AIDS, rape and sexual
harassment.
In his presentation Mr. Madi M.K Ceesay, the president of  The Gambia Press
Union (GPU), said the role of the media is in the area of  awareness creation.
He said women must go to the media and report cases of  violence. He noted
that the fight against impunity is a human right issue, as  everybody is a human
right fighter and it is not only against women, but to all  humankind. He
stated that in 2006, 55 journalists were killed world wide, most  of whom are
women. Mr. Ceesay called on the African Union to promote press  freedom and use
their tools against violence. He observed that several media  houses have been
closed which led many people including women to lose their  jobs. He said the
AU should try to end violence against women.
Sheila B.  Kettharuth, the executive director of African Institute for Human
Rights said  violence against women is one of the most prevalent and the
impact against women  is affected by various factors, such as rape, FGM and early
marriage. She noted  that the strategies to end violence against women are to
use creative methods  such as raising awareness, involving women in decision
making, create a facility  for women to have justice and  to make law
enforcement effective.
Lamin  Ceesay representative of the Women’s Bureau mentioned that violence
against  women prevents development. . Ceesay said we need a non violent
society. He  stated that the measure to combat violence is to be able to apply gender
 mainstreaming in order to create and deepen understanding. He said
co-operation  of religious leaders is very important so as to enlighten the society
about the  norms and values of the family. He observed that violence within the
family is a  human right issue and a social problem behind close doors and its
occurrence has  become invisible in The Gambia.
He concluded that normalization of violence  in the family should break,
especially in domestic violence. Amie Sillah a  Gender activist said violence
against women and girls is a global issue  throughout the world and said it
focuses on all forms of elimination. The vote  of thanks was delivered by Mrs.
Phillot.

FOCUS ON POLITICS
PPP’S  FRACTURE EMINENT
With Suwaibou Touray
Apart from the “Butut Scandal” which  dominated political gossiping during
the period, the issue of low pay for the  workers was also competing to be
noticed. Mr. M.E Jallow went to Tanzania to  attend the Sixth Pan-African Congress
and when he came back, he was full of zeal  to continue the fight for pay
increase for the low paid workers. He held a  meeting with the workers and
revealed that ministers have increased their  salaries by £40 pounds and said that,
as such, the salaries of the low paid  workers should also be increased
otherwise it was going to be an insult to them.  He emphasized the need for equal
treatment for all.
The parliament which was  dominated by the PPP could be said to have
supported the workers, but was it  genuine? Mr. Saikou Sabally, who was a member of
Parliament, said the difference  in salary structure was done by the
imperialists which he argued should have  been done away with. This statement of Sabally’
s was a surprise to many since it  was not clear what economic policy PPP was
to take.
What was clear, however,  was that Nkrumah’s campaign against imperialism and
Neo-Colonialism and Sekou  Toure’s Nationalism were making a lot of young
politicians to experiment with  their language, but as the demand for salary
increment increased, President  Jawara had to invite Mr. M.E Jallow to discuss the
issue. The workers by then  were so militant that any delay in dealing with
the issue of increasing the  minimum pay could easily spark a strike, even if
the Union leaders restrained  them. This was why a mass strike was staged by
The Gambia Workers Union on the  28th July 1975 even though the socalled Wallace
report gave recommendations on  the proposed salary structure.
From then on, the ruling party of Sir Dawda  had signs of infighting. Some
members felt that their party was being taken over  by what they described as
old “Political failures” of Bathurst going in with  their old habits of
gossiping and false stories about people they disliked and  gradually replacing what
they called the indigenous members of the PPP.
But  Gambia used to be a rumour mongering state, one rumour always followed
another  and this time, two things were about to happen according to ‘radio
kankang”  (rumour station);
1.         That a  new party was in the making and (2) that underground work
was being done to  unseat the President through constitutional means. The
latter was not taken  seriously, by observers, because of the fact that the PPP
had the majority in  the parliament and therefore it was seen to be extremely
remote for anybody to  conceive a “no confidence vote” against Jawara.
By 17th April 1975, a new  party was born. It was calculated to coincide with
this date which was an  anniversary of the death of Kwame Nkrumah, former
President of Ghana. The  spokesman for the party was no other person than Mr.
Cheyassin Secka, a  barrister at law. His first complaint was the refusal of the
public radio to  announce their rally. They met at Albion Place to inform the
general public of  their emergence and why they have decided to form a party
instead of joining any  of the existing parties. One thing was however clear,
the creation of the  National Liberation Party was motivated by the ideology of
the late Kwame  Nrumah.
Mr. Secka later toured the whole country to explain the manifesto of  the NLP
to the people. The people were anxious to know.
And by about July 3rd  1975, news of Mr. Dibba’s dismissal shook the country.
He was removed from his  post as Minister of Economic Planning and Industrial
Development.
Was it a  rift, the gap of which could be quickly narrowed, or was it a
split? That was  the question which was on the lips of many a PPP militant.
According to the  Progressive Newspaper, on 4th August 1975, Sir Dawda
stressed that “If there  were any divergencies of opinion between him and Dibba, it
must be on the  question of Tribalism and Regionalisation.” But Mr. Dibba said
he was not aware  of any reasons for his removal from office, and that the
decision was not in the  best interest of the country. He also asserted the
allegations were meant to  tarnish his image.
Mr. Dibba, however, said he was aware of a malicious  campaign being waged
against him by certain individuals with the sole and  nefarious purpose of
lowering his stature to the position of a selfish Gambian  only interested in
himself. He lamented that for 15 years as a parliamentarian,  he was never accused
of being a tribalist.
As the country waited to see  whether the rift could be narrowed or not, Mr.
Dibba convened a press conference  and told journalists that he was called by
the president but as he said   all what Jawara said was that a rumour was
being circulated in town about him  (Dibba), and that was why he sacked him
(Dibba). He said Jawara also told him  that “he (Dibba) was not ready to share
responsibilities with others,” reported  the Progressive Newspaper. He said he
could not understand that to mean that  matters discussed at cabinet level were
not subject to critical questioning and  examination before decisions are taken.
He however asserted that he still  considered himself a member of the PPP.
When asked if he was a co-founder of  another party, he said he was not aware of
that but added that only the course  of events would reveal his future
intentions.
By 9th August 1975, an  announcement was heard that the Central Baddibu
constituents were to hold a  meeting at Albion Place and subsequently a mass rally
was said to have been  planned there.
President Jawara also did not take the matter lightly. He went  on a
provincial tour to explain to the people the reasons for Dibba’s dismissal.  The
private press complained of being deliberately side lined from accompanying  him on
the tour.
At the mass rally, Mr. Dibba spoke lengthily. He spoke on  the “Butut Scandal”
 and said he had to surrender personal conviction to the  welfare of the
state during the smuggling scandal. He declared that he knew that  the conclusions
were not to his well being but that he had to vacate his Vice  Presidential
position for peace and stability of the nation.
He finally  called for the change of leadership of the country; that he was
ready to join  with what he called the “Progressive Forces” for the
advancement of the  Nation.
After this meeting, the National Convention Party was born, and a new
political landscape created.
See next issue on how the struggle unfolds  between the two personalities.