GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
omar joof <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Nov 2003 14:23:18 +0000
Mr Jallow,
We would wish to disassociate ourselves with your assertion pertaining to
the coalition efforts. Though we are dissatisfied with the state of affairs
in that regard, we strongly subscribe to the concept of a coalition to
unseat the Jammeh regime.
Thank you for calling our statement a manifesto. To be candid, we do not see
it in that light, but if you insist on giving it such elevated status, we
would not quarrel with you over that. We have no doubt that the mindset
which led you to make the former assertion, is also the source of your
unconsidered dismissal of our disposition as radical, marxist or leninist.
Pleased be informed that we are not apologist for any ideological standpoint
or block. Suffice it, however, to say that we find it fresh to indulge in
rhetorics which do not have anything to do with the subjugation and
exploitation of our continent and peoples. As for the radical tone of our
statement (which you graciously called a manifesto), be rest assured that we
do not intend to compromise it. We are convinced that the Jammeh regime has
presided over the degeneration of our nation to such an extend that any
effort which can bring about the rejuvenation of national welfare, must be
radical. "Softly-softly" efforts will only play us into the devil's own
hands!
As regards you indication that Waa is not fit to comprehend the
"intrecacies" of  republican democracy or the complex electoral process as
obtained in the US, I do not have much to say. I simply wish to remind you
that you have no justifiable rights, whatsoever, to treat Mr Lamin Waa
Juwara with any form of intellectual/academic snobbery. His credentials by
far exceed yours and that of the entire top brass of the  A(f)PRC combined.
You have asked clarification as regards certain assertions in our statement,
and I hereby endeavour to render such.
(1) "mentally developed voter":--- Over the years, an obnoxious system of
political patronage has been established in the Gambia, which completely
distracts the voter's mind from the issues that are supposed  to be
paramount in determining which party one votes for. When voters are
liberated from such shackles, one can consider them competent to make free
and fair political decisions. The term has no biological connotations;
(2) "Critical juncture of world politics":---- In NDAM we believe in
"thinking globally and acting locally" in a radical way. This has a lot to
do with our present global realities;
(3) The extent of our liberation struggle:--- I refer you to two above.
Finally, your cautionary statement has been noted, and we wish to assure you
that we do not have a hidden agenda. NDAM is seriously in the business of
constitutionally providing an alternative political leadership to the
misrule of Yaya Jammeh. In carrying out this legitimate task, all our
pronouncements and actions will be tailored to effectively counter the
politics of banditry, brutality and criminality of the dictatorial A(F)PRC
regime. In this regard, be rest assured that NDAM shall never shy away from
taking appropriate action.
I thank you for your reaction.
Omar Joof.

http://join.msn.com/?page=features/photos&pgmarket=en-ca&RU=http%3a%2f%2fjoin.msn.com%2f%3fpage%3dmisc%2fspecialoffers%26pgmarket%3den-ca