GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ebrima Sall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jan 2004 04:03:02 -0800
Friends,

The first paragraph of the article below from the SG of the Pan African Movement reminds me of the debate among the people of Futa, in the Senegal River Valley, about whether or not to send their children to the 'foreign schools' introduced by the Europeans who were technologicaly strong enough to conquer and colonise them, a debate that Cheikh Hamidu Kane recounts in his nouvel 'Ambiguous Adventure', first published in seventies.

As the story goes, in the end, the Diallobé people of Futa decided that they needed their children to learn from the Europeans 'the art of winning without being right' (they won the battles, but were not right in conquering and dominating the Diallobe), and 'how to link wood to wood' ...

Best wishes for 2004 and beyond,

Ebrima.