GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sanusi Owens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 May 2001 09:46:07 +0100
KB

No need to apologise for the change of title, in fact
it gave it some spice to start with.

You have raised some interesting points but to be
honest with you I have to properly explain my previous
proposals and from there we can resume this
interesting debate.

(1)WHY THE UNITED OPPOSITION SHOULD RULE FOR NOT MORE
THAN TWO YEARS

I still advocate for a Coalition Government that
should rule for not more than 24 months. Perhaps I
will be considerate here and say they should rule for
a minimum of 18 months and a maximum of 24 months.
I believe that the only way forward for a successful
Coalition government is to review the transitional
programme fraudulently hijacked by the AFPRC regime.
All of us should admit that the First Republic was
born on 24 April 1970 and suddenly died on 22 July
1994 when our so called defenders of the constitution;
the PPP Cabinet surrendered power to the AFPRC-what a
tragic way to relinquish power.
Coming to the Second Republic, I still believe that it
is in its pregnancy. The issues which should have been
dealt with under the Second Republic have still not
been delivered yet. We have a constitution that is
totally been abused by its architects. We have a
constitution that has made our leaders elective
dictators. In order to resolve the situation, the
first task of the Coalition Government is to honestly
review the Second Republican Constitution.

When one looks at the way the Second Republican
Constitution came into effect, there were several
provisions which wrongly incorporated in it. In fact,
we have just heard news from the Gambia that the APRC
Government  have introduced the Constitutional
Amendment Act without consulting the people who
initially endorsed it by way of vote in a referendum
held on 8 August 1996.

Our current constitution is typically designed in line
 with the American Presidential system of Government.
With this in mind, the President of the Coalition will
have enormous power to do what he likes. I don't need
to enlighten you on how Yahya has been hiring and
firing Secretaries of States. If one looks at the
provisions of the First Republican Constitution, the
President had to rely on his parliamentarians to
choose a cabinet. Imagine therefore if either Sidia
Jatta, Bah or Darboe were made leader of the
Coalition, based on the provisions of the current
constitution, he may appoint who ever he likes as
Secretary of State with the exception of the elected
MPS.There are bound to be problems in this area,
unless the parties in the United Opposition have
formulated a pre-election/victory agreement.

(2)THE NEED FOR A TRUTH AND RESTITUTION COMMISSION

It appears we seem to be agreement in this area, my
only reservation is the level of amnesty to be granted
against the perpetrators. I strongly believe that in
order for us to certain who was responsible the gross
abuses of human rights abuses, some will have to be
granted amnesty, so as to assist the Commission in
ascertaining the truth. If you could recall during the
Treason Trials of September 1981, Appai Sonko a fomer
member of Kukoi Samba Sanyang's Supreme Council of the
Revolution was granted amnesty in return for him to
testify as a principal witness. His testimony to the
court was of significant help to the prosecution in
establishing the role played by the alleged coup
plotters of July 1981. Just recently, we have seen
Nigeria through its Oputa Commission using the
services of Sergeant Rogers. Sergeant Rogers though
regarded as the one responsible for the brutal murder
of Kudirat Abiola and many other political figure has
freely given detail evidence on why and how these
political figures were executed. Now lets take a look
at the situation in the Gambia, the likes of Fabakary
Kolior a former member of the July 22 Movement has now
defected to the UDP. Don't you think he could be of
enormous help to the commission, if he is granted
amnesty ? There are so many others who will fall under
this category.

(3)NULLIFY THE DECISIONS OF THE COMMISSIONS OF THE
INQUIRY

Sorry to say but I should have said REVIEW rather than
Nullify. To be candid with you, I must admit that the
PPP Government was corrupt. However, the Commissions
of Inquiry set up to investigate failed in most cases
in establishing the actual degree of corruption. In
most cases, these Commissions were mere kangaroo
Courts, only few of them acted fairly. Most of the
powers granted to the Commission were obnoxious to
start with. Having attending some of the Commissions,
I realised that the Chairmen/Chairperson in most cases
acted as player rather than a referee. In other words,
they were never independent to sart with.  Since some
innocent people have either lost their jobs or
properties, Don't you think there is a need for the
decisions of these Commissions to be reviewed
honestly?

Awaiting your views on my proposals and its reasons

Have a wonderful day

Sanusi

Sanusi, sorry I could not get back to you yesterday.

=== message truncated ===