GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Feb 2000 13:32:08 EST
Ebrima,

thanks for your posts and the timely topics you raise, always enjoyed and
appreciated.
Regarding the U.S presidential elections, you hit it right on the nail when
you say that  in this race, money talks, and that George Bush Jr certainly
has it. Goerge has the monied Republican machinery behind him, and this is a
machinery that has become desperate in their effort to put a Repulican in the
White house in these recent years. This desperation has brought out the worst
in the Repulican party, such that their fangs have ben bared in public and
they do not even try to conceal this ugly side of them anymore. This
desperation has led to the Paula Joneses, the smearing of Clinton appointees,
and the impeachment hearings. They want to take over the White house any way
they can. At least, paula got a free nose job and a whole new wardrobe in the
attempt.What a cheap way to go!
McCain touts his Vietnam war experience as a trophy that will land him the
job, and George says he will bring dignity to the office, all these remarks
aimed at Bill Clinto and the Democrats, but i think the way the American
public has voted in the past few  years, and their support of the Clinton
administration even in the face of all these cheap shots, should tell these
guys a thing or two.
George Bush Jr thinks he can ride into the White House on his Texas horse
becuase of the Bush name and big bucks.
Both of these guys are the same old Republican wolf in sheep's clothing. One
good look at Bush's record as governor of Texas will tell any sane person of
colour that this guy is not someone they need to cast a vote for. One of the
latest controversies is the presence of a monument to the Confederacy  at the
Texas supreme court. Black Texans consider it an affront, and a sign that
they cannot hope for impartial justice at the Texas supreme court, and that
this monument should come down. Bush's answer: he says the monument should
not come down just because the Confederacy is synonimous with slavery in the
eyes of Black folks in Texas and around the counrty, becuase he says, the
Confederacy stood for many family values that should not be thrown out just
because these people feel this way.Instead, the monument should remain, and
an explanation added to the inscription, and i wonder what he proposes that
inscription should be.
In his preparation for the South Carolina primaries, Bush also gave a major
cmpaign speech at Bob Jones University, where interacial dating is banned,
and where they have refused to admit people of colour for many years. The guy
is showing his true colours, and i hope the people are paying attention.
You are right, Keyes seems to be much more coherent, but i just cannot
understand why any person of colour in this country can call themselves a
Republican and be taken seiously.
My opinion? America as well as the rest of the World cannot afford to have a
Republican president in the White house, and worst still, if that president
is George Bush Jr. I think the best that Georgie can do for everyone is to
stay right there on his ranch in big sky country. Me? I am for Albert Gore
all the way, and infact, putting in my quota to help his campaign any way i
can.

Jabou Joh

In a message dated 2/16/00 12:43:29 PM Central Standard Time,