GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sanusi Owens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Jun 2001 10:16:02 +0100
Joe

Thanks for your reply

I entirely agree with your explanation but have one
reservation;

If I was a member of the ALD organising committee, I
would have suggested to UDP whether Mballow could act
as their delegate in this symposium.

Although you may describe it as unprofessional, I
think it would help in erasing fears that the UDP are
not interested in such debates. If UDP had to turn
down the offer of allowing Mballow to represent them,
then a prima facie case would have been established
against them for not taking this symposium serious.

Well Joe, we are all human beings and are bound to
make mistakes. I only hope all of us will learn from
it when planning future symposiums.

Credit can not be taken away from Latjorr Ndow, James
Gomez(Jr) and others for organising such a great
occasion.

On that note I shall not continue debating on this
issue as we have to discuss other issues of enormous
significance eg The fall of Yahya Jammeh through the
ballot box.

Come October 2001, Gambia must be free as Yahya must
go. Amen

Chi Jaama

Sanusi
--- Joe Sambou <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
<HR>
<P>Sanusi, thanks for your post and good to hear you
raise your concerns.  This way, all stakeholders would
resolve the issue through dialogue.  You are right, I
was amongst the people that cried foul when the UDP
announced that they would not be able to attend the
conference, and your quote below are my words.
However, for you to say that the Mr. Mballow was
treated with contempt by the organizers is a bit
misguided.  Actually, it is the UDP that treated Mr.
Mballow with contempt.  The UDP knew that Mr. Mballow
was in New York and they knew that their last minute
change of heart would make it impossible for them to
arrive on time for the conference.  Why did they not
designate Mr. Mballow as their spokes person if that
was their wish?  Why did they opt for Karamba to read
Ousainou's letter to the audience (which was not
allowed), instead of Mr. Mballow?  In fact, Karamba
is not an official of the UDP, but was chosen to say a
few words as to Ousainou's whereabouts.  You also
spoke of people obsessed with hearing party leaders
give speeches.  Again, I think that is a stretch on
your part.  All we asked for was an official rep., of
which Ousainou is one.  Actually, the only
presidential candidate that was present was Hamat Bah,
and that was his party's choosing.  </P></DIV>
<P>You stated the following: "Mr Saihou Mballow was
elected as an Executive member of the UDP during its
first annual congress held at Brikama on 29 May 1998.
Moreover, he was a UDP candidate for the last
parliamentary/National Assembly elections held on 2
January 1997. The question which one has to ask is why
Saihou Mballow was not given the go-ahead to represent
UDP at this Symposium?"  No, in my opinion, the
question you should ask, should be directed to the UDP
hierarchy.  Knowing all this, why did they not
delegate Mr. Mballow to represent them, that is the
question.  In fact, you recalled when the party
announced that they where not sending anyone, was'nt
Mr. Mballow around?  If so, why was he not asked, or
why did Mballow not ask the party, to represent them?
So, you see, the burden of proof is on the UDP and not
the organizers.  All the parties that were contacted
sent in reps at the choosing of their governing
council.  Why was the UDP the exception?  People are
not interested in heavyweights as you stated, any
designated official was sufficient, and Mr. Mballow
was clearly not designated by the UDP.  If so, bring
out the proof.  </P>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>I had the opportunity to meet Mr. Mballow and he is
clearly a fine individual and could have represented
his party well.  Why his party did not accord him that
trust could only be answered by his party.  I hope
this clears the air for you, and thanks for your
contributions in this matter.</P>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>Chi Jaama</P>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>Joe Sambou<BR></P>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>From: Sanusi Owens <[log in to unmask]>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Reply-To: The Gambia and related-issues
mailing list <[log in to unmask]>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>To: [log in to unmask]
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Subject: Re: ALD Symposium-IN DEFENCE OF
SAIHOU MBALLOW
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 09:52:07 +0100
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Fellow Colleagues
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>I think "critics" of UDP should now take
note of the
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>fact that they treated Saihou Mballow with
contempt.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Prior to the ALD symposium, they were
indications that
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Mr Darboe and his delegation won't be
attending. From
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>that moment, we received series of emails
questioning
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>UDP's seriousness in debating issues of
national
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>interest. Moreover, some even asked why
UDP can't send
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>a delegate, they even question whether UDP
was a one
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>man party-OUSAINOU DARBOE AND NO ONE
ELSE.To justify
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>my comments, here are some of the remarks
which were
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>posted on the "L"
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>(1)Joe Sambou- UDP delegation postpones US
trip
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>"How many people are in the UDP
governing?" posted on
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>23/05/01
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>(2) Bass Ndow-UDP delegation postpones US
trip
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>"What happened to the principle of
delegation? Is UDP
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>a one man party? Why not delegate other
officials or
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>UDP NAMs?" posted on 22/05/01
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>(3) Lajorr Ndow-UDP delegation postpones
US trip
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>"Mr Jasseh-Conteh , I do not understand
how we can
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>have you represent the UDP at the event
when we have
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>no way of ascertaining if you are the
official
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>representative of the UDP or not."
24/05/01
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Well after careful consideration, I find
it difficult
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>to accept that UDP have to explain the
reasons for
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>their absence. According to very reliable
information,
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Mr Saihou Mballow was elected as an
Executive member
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>of the UDP during its first annual
congress held at
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Brikama on 29 May 1998. Moreover, he was a
UDP
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>candidate for the last
parliamentary/National Assembly
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>elections held on 2 January 1997. The
question which
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>one has to ask is why Saihou Mballow was
not given the
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>go-ahead to represent UDP at this
Symposium? Are we so
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>obsessed with seeing leaders of political
parties
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>giving speeches. By the way, the APRC
never sent their
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>"heavy weights"-the likes of Yankuba
Touray APRC, Buba
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Baldeh , Tamsir Jallow and many others
were not part
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>of the delegation. Since UDP had a
executive member
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>currently "residing" in the US, then
surely the ALD
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>oraginising committee should have used him
as a
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>substitute to Mr Darboe. The decision to
deny Saihou
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Mballow that opportunity makes it
difficult for me to
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>blame UDP on their non-attendance.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>The blame should therefore be split
equally between
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>the ALD organisers and the UDP National
Executive
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Committee.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Apart from that I would like to commend
the ALD
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>organisers for spear-heading such a great
occasion.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>I therefore wish them all the best for
future
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>symposiums
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Thank you
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Sanusi
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>--- saihou Mballow
<[log in to unmask]>wrote: > On
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>behalf of the UDP i would like to thank
the ALD
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> > organising committee for disallowing me
to speak for
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> > over 147,000 Gambian people who support
the UD.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> > I must thank all the ladies and
gentlemen who took
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> > their time and made to the ALD
conference.Mr Gomez
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> > must know that i am not a dictator who
force himself
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> > to lead the people.I am an official of
the UDP and i
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> > was democratically elected to represent
the interest
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> > of the party at a UDP congress in
Brikama on the
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> > 29th
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> > May 1998.I was not hand pick by any
mamber of the
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> > party and secondly i scored over 4000
votes in the
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> > last National Assembly Elections which
today some
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> > people who talk nonsense in parliament
didn't
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> > scored.Today there are members who
representing only
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> > 500 votes and i think i have more voice
than those
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> > APRC MPs.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> > I will report more on this when i am
ready.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> > Saihou
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> > --- astrid christensen-tasong
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> > wrote:
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>
<HR>

<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>
<P><BR><BR></P>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>
<P>Mr Jassey:</P>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>
<P>With all due respect, you are not setting the
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> > record straight by saying that the ALD
organisers
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> > did
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> > not reach out to The Gambian community
in the Metro
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> > area and beyond. On the contrary, EVERY
ONE
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> > was
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> > invited to participate in the planning
of the ALD
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> > but
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> > as usual, everyone likes to take the
back seat and
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> > "nit pick". Give credit where it's
due...if
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> > you
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> > feel that the ALD was a two man
show...well that's
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> > because YOU know of two people giving
their all to
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> > make it a success.
<DIV></DIV>
<P></P>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>
<P>Please criticize constructively!</P>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>
<P>Astrid Christensen</P>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>
<P>From: MLJ Conteh <[log in to unmask]></P>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Reply-To: The Gambia and
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> > related-issues
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> > mailing list
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>To: [log in to unmask]
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Subject: Re: ALD Symposium
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 17:29:57 -0400
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>James:
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>I hereby repeat that the ALD
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> > symposium
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> > was a two-man
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>initiative and that Mr. MBallow had
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> > requested to represent the UDP and you
turned him
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> > down. I hope Mr. MBallow had read
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>your posting, so that he can set
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> > light
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> > to your denial.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>I am not here to personally attack
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> > you,
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> > but to set the
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>record straight. I hope you will
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> > reach
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> > out to more
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Gambians in metro DC area to be part
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> > of
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> > next year's events.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>You indicated that Dr. Nyang was
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> > going
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> > to participate and
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>you never explained why he did not
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> > show
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> > up. You have a
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>right to sit on the fence. It is
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> > disturbing that you
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>work for an organization that is
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> > fighting fearlessly for
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>the rights of African Americans.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>I hope you have a good year and I
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> > look
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> > forward to working
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>with you next year.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Naphiyo,
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Comrade ML Jassey-Conteh
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>------Original Message------
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>From: "James Gomez Jr."
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> > <[log in to unmask]>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>To: [log in to unmask]
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Sent: May 29, 2001 8:23:14 PM GMT
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Subject: ALD Symposium
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Let me start by thanking the entire
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> > participants in the ALD celebration
this past
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> > weekend.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> > I thank you for taking time out of your
busy
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> > schedule
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> > to join us during our annual Gambian
ALD reunion.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>I want to set the record straight
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> > regarding the ALD symposium last
weekend. The ALD
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> > organizing committee is a non-partisan
organization
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> > and the symposium was NEVER intended as
a campaign
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> > event for a united opposition. This was
communicated
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> > to all parties (APRC, UDP, NRP, and
PDOIS) well
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> > before
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> > their confirmation to participate in
the symposium
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> > without objects.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Our goal was to provide all parties
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> > an
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> > opportunity to present their agenda for
the Gambia
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> > and
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> > to have a civil conversation with the
audience on
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> > Democracy, Human Rights, and the up
coming election.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> > All parties and members of the Gambia-L
were
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> > informed
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> > about the invited participants and
there was not a
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> > single objection from any party. The
question then
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> > was
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> > the possibility of convincing all
parties to
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> > participate and we succeeded.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Comrade ML Jassey-Conten's statement
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> > on
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> > the ALD being a two-man initiative is
absolutely
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> > nonsense. Gambians on the L and around
the D.C. area
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> > were invited to meeting in preparation
for the ALD.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> > Their decision not to participate for
whatever
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> > reason
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> > (s) is beyond our control.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>We were communicating directly with
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> > Mr.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> > Ousainou Darboe regarding his
participation. We
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> > learned of his decision to pull out of
the symposium
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> > from the Gambia-L. When we called and
talked with
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> > him
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> > that night, he never mentioned any
replacement for
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> > him
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> > and I'm sure Mr. Darboe knew that Mr.
Saihou Mballow
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> > and other UDP officials including
Ousainou's brother
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> > were in the U.S. In fact, Mr. Dardoe's
brother was a
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>> >
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>=== message truncated ===
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>____________________________________________________________
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Do You Yahoo!?
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Get your free @yahoo.co.uk address at
http://mail.yahoo.co.uk
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>or your free @yahoo.ie address at
http://mail.yahoo.ie
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>----------------------------------------------------------------------------
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>To unsubscribe/subscribe or view archives
of postings, go to the Gambia-L
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>Web interface at:
http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/gambia-l.html
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>You may also send subscription requests to
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>if you have problems accessing the web
interface and remember to write your full name and
e-mail address.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV><br clear=all><hr>Get your FREE download of
MSN Explorer at <a