GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
TOMBONG SAIDY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Feb 2001 10:34:27 -0500
Karamba wrote,

I'd like to suggest we take Tombong up on his proposal. If list members
agree, GRTS sounds like a great place for us to start both for the crucial
role that it plays in reaching the biggest chunk of the population and the
fact that Mr Saidy runs it.

Well Karamba and co. we can start with GRTS. I have gone through your
postings and I will start with training GRTS staff since a debate on it has
already ensued and then I will address the neutrality or balance reporting
of GRTS. Karamba said:

I just don't understand why Mr Saidy flies around the world
buying syndicated shows of soap operas with the very scant resources he has
instead of investing in the training and proffessionalisation of the small
pool he has at the department to increase their talent to produce better
programming that actually reflect our own realities.

Karamba, the above statement is baseless. One dose not have to fly around
the World in order to buy "syndicated shows of soap opera". We get pilot
programmes sent to us and we would decide on buying them in The Gambia. I
have never flown out of the country to buy a programme. This is
unimaginable. How can one do that when one can get programmes sent to them
from anywhere in the World. We use the internet, broadcast magazines and
other means to look for programmes. Half of my travels are financed by
organisations outside of The Gambia because of the various positions I hold
in various international broadcasting organisations.

Training is the number one priority at GRTS and our MUST valuable resource
is our Human Resource. GRTS has even spent money to train staffs of private
station such as Radio One FM, Sud FM etc by inviting to attend our locally
organised training workshops and we even pay them allowances at that. We
have critical role to play in developing the broadcasting industry in The
Gambia. GRTS is a young institution and by any standard and also by taking
in to consideration size of our budget, we are doing well in sending staff
for training, to attend workshops and seminars abroad.

Currently we are paying for three of our staff at the University of The
Gambia and one graduated last year and they are:

Fatou Sanneh
Ya Abbis Njie
Flora Richards
Haddy Badgie (Graduated Last year)

Currently we have the following students overseas and they are being
financed by GRTS:

Rodine Renner (3 years BSc programme in Engineering - UK)
Famara Dampha (3 years BSc programme in Engineering - UK)
Isatou Bojang Sissoho (3 years BA in Production - UK)

Haddy Badgie (6 months course (programming) in Egypt)
Lamin Camara (6 months course (programming) in Egypt)
Mass Senghore (6 months course (engineering) in Egypt)
They are due back at in March.

Since we cannot pay for everybody to go for overseas training some members
of staff have used their own initiative and secured their funding for over
seas studies and in most cases we would offer them study leave with salary
or without salary. The following are some who are on study leave:

Jesica Sowe - study leave with salary (4 year BA in Communication - USA)
Neneh Macdoual - study leave with salary (1 year Masters programme in the
US)

Sabeh Jeng - Study leave without salary - UK
Sainabou Jobe - Study leave without salary - UK
Harona Drammeh - Study leave without salary - USA
Abimbola Bello - Study leave without salary - UK
Saihou Hydara - Study leave without salary - UK

Those with study leave without salaries have their positions in the
institution reserved for them and they are guaranteed employment when they
return. Their positions will not be filled by any one else until they return
and will always be reflected in the Manpower Budget.

The following were sent and returned after their training:

Tombong Saidy (twice in Taiwan and Switzerland (International Academy of
Broadcasting)
Jainaba Nyang (three times - BBC attachment and Taiwan)
Edrissa Bahoum (2000 - BSc Engineering - UK)
Kemo Jatta (2000 - 6 months course in marketing - UK)
Safiatou Jallow (2000 - 6 months course in marketing - UK)

This is just to show you how much emphasis we place on training. Every year
we would organise local training whereby we have trainers come from Germany
(Deutsche Welle), Commonwealth, World Bank, Ghana etc. These local training
saves us some funds and the trainer trains them on what we have on the
ground. We have organised training even for the community radios at our own
cost.

Training is a priority at GRTS and will continue to be so for a very long
time. Sending one person for a degree programme especially in the UK cost a
lot of money. We do not only pay tuition and fees, but room and board as
well, plus an allowance and at the same time paying them their regular
salaries back here. I am quite sure you can imagine the amount of resources
spent. This year we have in our budget a substantial amount for training.
There is not essential GRTS staff (production and engineering staff in
particular) that has never benefited from training. They are either trained
locally or abroad or both. By essential staff I am excluding the cleaners,
watchmen etc. Even our cameramen are sent to Dakar on attachments.

I gave the names so that some of you can do your own investigations. I my
opposition, etc.

PEACE

Tombong