GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Yusupha C Jow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Aug 2001 15:02:11 EDT
Hamjatta:

Good thinking brother.

Like you said, I agree that the Alliance (preferably one involving the NCP,
PDOIS and NRP etc etc) should carefully study all the issues which the
Gambian voters need to be concerned about.  They should then encapsulate
their findings into an effective slogan.

The issues to be considered are clear: the economy,  the many human rights
abuses, corruption on a massive scale, the harboring of war criminals (per
the UN) by the governernment, the collapse of our groundnut economy, monopoly
of business opportunities by businessmen with ties to the regime, the
subversion of our judiciary by the thugs in power, the undertaking of white
elephant projects which will not improve the lives of average citizens, the
failure to electricize the country as promised, etc etc.  The list goes on
and on...

I must also say the stumbling block to such a strategy is the dearth of
instruments of media which are far reaching or impartial enough to carry this
encapsulation to our citizens.   This probably means that this strategy might
not be totally effective in its desired impact.

 The Alliance should also be willing to invest the resources to come up with
a slogan which will resonate powerfully with Gambians on the ground.  This
will require a great deal of dedication and careful analysis of events which
have transpired over the past 7 years.

Anyway, I think you might have hit a cord here.  Keep it up!

Yus