GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
malik kah <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Jan 2002 16:48:21 +0000
Phew, Ngorr, your conclusions on PDOIS borders between naivety and catatonic
stupidity. If failure to perform in an electtion is the only yard stick you
can use to pass judgement on PDOIS, well then you are politically immature.
One fundamental thing that distinguishes PDOIS from other parties is its
realisation of the fact that the struggle they have embarked upon is a
protracted one, hence desirable as it may be for electoral results, it might
not be realisable in the immediate future. The PDOIS leadership has
reconcilled to the fact that they may never be elected by the people,
nonetheless this does not ditter them from dispensing their civic duty as
highly educated and well enlighthened politicians. I hope, instead of
distracted such people from such a noble mission we give them at least the
moral support. To accuse them of being Jammeh apologist is both futile and
insincere after all the entire nation can bear wittness that they have been
offered miniterial positions in the APRC but because they are principled
people they decided to shun it. If they were really aspirants as is the case
with many inconsistent politicians they would have jumped at the opportunity
and argue that they were doing it for reconcilloiation and national intrest.
But because they are who they are selfless and dedicated people they opted
for the rough ride, a ride that is difficult and perilous. If they were not
intrested in the welfare and enlightenement of the Gambian people they would
not have sacrificed all their resources, time, energy and knowledge. After
all you and I are sitting comfortably in the west and passing judgement on
their efforts. I feel that is wrong and unfair, PDOIS has always been
consistent, in fact I assisted them during the Jawara era to establish how
corrupt the electoral process was, after a lengthy investigation and a court
case at African Commission, they were vindicated as being right, that the
process was flawed. They choose the judicial route because this is the only
way one can question the legitimacy of a regime. If a government fails to
take cognisance of a judicial ruling it dents both it democratic credentials
and image and no civilised government would want to be described as
autocratic and none law abiding. I this route to justice may be long
nonetheless as democrats it is the most viable. Elections could be boycotted
in circumstances where every method of reddress is explored and the
government fail to comply, in such a scenarion it would be apparent and
desirable. But jump of deck without any notification to the crews will
certainly be suicidal and that is what UDP, PPP, did. I feel that they were
ill-advised to take such a decision and leave a vaccum in the political
landscape. In as much as I do not agree with UDP, I feel that their act of
self omission will do more harm than good in the long run. After all Jammeh
is given a free hand for the next five years, what can UDP do now except
snipe at him from outside. It would have been better to fight from inside
than outside, after all you cannot cook rice outside a pot. I we all realise
that PDOIS participation is very consistent, only sceptics will try to make
a meal out of it. If UDP was honest and true to their word this whole issue
could have been resolved before the elections, after all it was PDOIS who
never wanted to accept the legitimacy of the IEC due to the procedural
violations that saw the appointment of the current chairman. Had UDP heeded
this saga could have been avoided, for it would have been more meaningful
then than now. If you want to kill a snake you don't wait until it's gone
and you pursue its path, that would be futile and irrelivant and this is the
position UDP has find itself.