GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ginny Quick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Jul 2001 14:56:48 -0500
Hi, everyone.  I was trying to stay out of the whole discussion between
Ousainou Ngum and KB regarding Chongan, but I feel I have to say a few
things...
     First of all, really what purpose is this serving in your cause to
unite to get Jammeh out of office?  I mean, all this is really doing is side
tracking you.  And all this is doing is causing you to lose sight of the big
picture...
     I think that all Ousainou was trying to say in the first place was that
although it was commendable for Chongan to come on the L and give his side
of things, he should also not forget that he has committed wrongs also.  And
that is fine if KB doesn't agree with that.  But then to have people going
back and forth on the issue, when it is clear they are not going to agree
with each other, I think is counterproductive.
     Not only that, then you have other people coming on the list and saying
that some people are just mad because Chongan and others stole their
girlfriends, or something to that affect.  Now that is really childish.  And
I don't think it is helping anyone's cause, whatever it is...
     I guess my point is, let's just move on.  If you guys can't even put
your small differences aside to unite in order to throw Jammeh out of
office, then how can you expect your comrades back home to do it?
     I usually stay out of political matters on Gambia-l, because I don't
feel it is my place to comment on them.  Because I really don't know what is
going on one way or the other.  But it would seem a sizable number of you
guys want Jammeh out.  So if that is what you want, even though you might
have differing opinions on other things, put those aside and try to get the
bigger goal accomplished.  The same goes for those of you who want Jammeh in
office for 5 more years.  All I'm saying is that you can focus on your
differences after the bigger goal is accomplished...
     All of this childish bickering, though, is not going to help you win
elections.  And it is July, guys, October isn't far away...  Three months,
in fact...
     So just agree to disagree on this, and please move on.
Ginny