GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Yusupha C Jow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 May 2001 18:27:04 -0500
Dampha:
The main cause you highlighted was vote-buying: plain and simple.  For you
to deny this right now, is simply dishonest.  This has been the main theme
of your argument from day one.  Look at what you wrote here:  I am
convinced God was with me when I found this..  Are you a liar or did you
just forget what you wrote? I'll give you the benefit of the doubt

"My personal view is that the majorculprit here was vote-buying. You see,
if one has that view, one will notthen turn around and blame the UDP
leadership for not putting forward a goodmessage or not being up to the
job. That was where I was coming from when Isaid that we should not be too
hard on UDP (in this instance). I do notbelieve it was their fault that
they lost the election. This is my personalview. You may disagree with
that. Fine. I will try and convince you if Ican, if not, I will just let
you be."

On the following long winded argument, I can't believe that you think I am
not aware of the difference.

<<How many times did I have to tell you that you have to distinguish people
that
did not vote for UDP because they did not vote at all from people that voted
for APRC instead of UDP. The first set of Kiangkas that did not vote at all
could have eradicated the victory margin. I frankly cannot figure out how
can I simplify this further for you.>>

Also, in my last post I stressed to you that I analyzed the parliamentary
elections of 1997.  Kiang East was one of the constituencies then.  The
2001 by-elections was held top replace those who perished during the
unfortunate car crash.  Now tell me how analyzing voter turnout levels by
comparing statistics from the two is wrong?  This, unless it is you who
does not know the difference between a by--election in Kiang and a
parliamentary elections in Kiang:  They mean exactly the same thing.  The
fact that I painstakingly took time to forward the statisticss from
parliamentary elections to you should be ample evdidence that I did use the
right information.  The mistake was simply a typo and it would be honest of
you to point out your mis-statement.  I never used general election
results. Yet you try to slight me for making a typo.

Have a nice day!