GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Asbjørn Nordam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 May 2002 09:20:03 +0200
Friends,
twice a year the gambia-l have a debate on who should or should not be
banned, delisted, alternative lists, who has the right to manage the list
etc etc. We also discuss rules and regulations, who should or should not
manage such rules, and who is offended or not.

For  four years I repeat : the more rules and regulations the more debate on
it. We donīt have the same upbringing, social or moral standards, and
therefor we donīt interpret rules the "same way around".

And I repeat that my standard on this list is "what is possible in a normal
gambian bantaba back home under the mango-tree, where your families, the
elders, the scholars are all attending". What can you say, not say. What
language can you use ? Itīs not what is common in New York or Copenhagen
suburb, but it is what is a respectable tone in the gambian village, thatīs
my standard here.
With my upbringing I have limits, which are passed every month on this list.
And every secon day where I live. Here in Copenhagen I often hear kids call
each other things like "your sister is a whore", "your mum should be
fucked", kids who donīt even know what a whore is. Thatīs is "just" how they
are taught to smear your "worst enemy" . And even I know that they donīt
mean exactly what they say, I find it not tolerable and I stop it every
time. I would never accept this, no matter it is "just how you say-I donīt
mean it".

So no matter how much you could try and say that "dickhead" is not to worry
about, I see it as a decline of the communication between people, to a lower
and lower standard. Which in the end shows how little we care about each
other. When "dickhead" is not strong enough, what will the next term be ?

Over the years I have also said that I donīt think we need to delist people,
I voted against the rules, but I accepted that the majority wanted rules and
regulations, which also gave the "poweres" to the list management. I feared
that the managements time was spend on too many debates on what words or
smears are over or under or on the line.

That said I think that the management are doing a fine job. I wonder you
would spend hours every day to make the list running. From my corner they
need a "thank you" that they make this list possible. Iīm sure many of you
out there could also do such a job, and maybe we should put you on trial.
Let make a rotate-system, so some of the managers could be off 3 months and
some of you out there stand in ?
Regards from Asbjørn