GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Jun 2001 14:59:43 -0400
Class Act. I have no doubt in my mind that you in particular and the Bank in
general mean well. The Bank might have had a lot of dead wood before Kabbaj
showed up, but from my perspective, the Organization has made a lot of
improvements that Africans should be proud of. It is by no means perfect,
but according to 'African Standards', the Bank is doing a superb job. I joke
with my friends that maybe the 'non-Regionals' have a good effect on us
Africans; AfDB being the most successful 'African' Organization. Of course
we all know that that is NOT true. Given the opportunity, Africans like your
humble self can do a superb job even running mammoth institutions like the
World Bank.

Having said that, I am sure we also realize that having Rules in the Bank's
Documents is one thing. Implementing those Rules is something entirely
different. The Procurement Rules are great. But we begin to have problems
when we want to monitor the correct implementation of those Rules. How do we
for instance detect hanky-panky between Yaya and CSE when AfDB gives Gambia
a loan to build a road from Brikama to WestField? Mental midgets like Famara
Jatta can present neat Procurement Rules to mirror what the AfDB wants on
the surface. Some AfDB official in Abidjan will look at the Famara Jatta
documents and the 'bids' presented to the Gambian government. The official
will even go to Gambia and talk to government officials and some of the
'bidders'.

What the 'investigation' (monitoring of the procurement process) will NOT
readily reveal, is that CSE is perhaps (at the same time of the bidding
process) building Yaya a mansion in Kanilai free of charge. What the
'investigation' will NOT reveal is that Famara Jatta is also building a
mansion from certain materials and manpower supplied by CSE. What the
'investigation' will NOT reveal is that Famara Jatta will show CSE the
'bids' from CSE's competitors so that CSE can 'under-bid' the competition.
What will also NOT be clear to AfDB is that even before the money is
disbursed to Gambia, CSE would have already put in their own money towards
the project thus tying the hands of our illegal government, forcing our
government to award CSE the contract. The investigators will not also know
that the other bidders would have been intimidated by NIA thugs to be silent
about the hanky-panky between the government and CSE.

The criminals back home are corrupt to the core. This same scenario plays
out in the energy industry as well. It plays out in the communication
industry. The Heath and Education sectors. Contractors will NOT be awarded
these contracts (funded by Aid Agencies) UNLESS they scratch somebody's
back. It is an open secret in The Gambia that if an 'Independent Contractor'
does not play ball with Yaya and his cohorts, the contractor will be paid a
visit by the NIA thugs. I forgot the name of some semi-illiterate guy a
friend told me about. Apparently, Yaya took this moron from no where and
overnight made him a dalasi millionaire by giving him one of our road
'projects'. Needless to say, the moron blew it. Could not perform the
contract efficiently and lost all the money that was given to him. Many
Gambians can come forward with similar stories of how inept and corrupt
people were granted government contracts while the NIA intimidate genuine
contractors. We all know that Yaya and Famara Jatta are up to no good. Let
Yaya explain how he got money to finance the villas and bunker CSE built for
him in Kanilai; and the artificial lake and the zoo; not to mention the
fencing around villages near kanilai. This is just one illustration showing
how difficult it is to help Africans. The Bank is NOT the problem. The
problem is the low-lives stealing from us.

Another way of looking at things is to examine the Books of The Gambia. I do
not know whether AfDB monitors the economic climate in Gambia like the World
Bank and IMF does. Suffice for me to say that IMF in particular that looks
at books from the Central Bank of The Gambia should be in no doubt that the
vermin are stealing from the people in order to lead 'flamboyant' lifestyles
while our farmers suffer in Kiang and Baddibu. Under normal circumstances
ALL foreign currency (in the form of aid or loans) coming into the country
should filter through the Central Bank. This procedure of course does not
include the brief-cases filled with the dollars from Taiwan. Those moneys
(cash) are transported by Yaya's cronies straight from the plane to the
State House. Granted that AfDB will not allow funds from the Bank be
transported by Famara Jatta in a brief case. My thinking is that AfDB will
transfer the money directly to one of the Gambia government foreign accounts
monitored by the Central Bank. That money is then commingled with other
funds in our 'Reserves' before it is credited to the government's local
dalasi accounts. Now, because AfDB or the World Bank or IMF or the EU is
contributing towards the Reserves, is it asking too much to tell those
organizations to monitor the moneys Yaya (personally) withdraws from the
Central Bank? This is merely a rhetorical question that does not demand an
answer from you.

Let us, for a moment, forget about the stage when the AfDB dollars are
converted to dalasis and paid to contractors in accordance with your
Procurement Policies. The hanky-panky begins long before that stage. Let us
first of all examine why on earth Central Bank should transfer  millions of
dollars to a private Swiss Bank account opened on behalf of Yaya. If Aid
Agencies cannot solve that conundrum, i.e. cannot explain why money meant
for the Gambian poor is finding its way in Yaya's personal coffers, should
they still allow their aid money to be commingled in an account where Yaya
can just pick up a phone and transfer millions of dollars from? This is
another rhetorical question.

But the point being made is that: is it moral (not to mention smart) for aid
agencies to continue giving to tyrants like Yaya when everyone knows that
the money is not reaching the people it is meant for? Our debt burden has
sky-rocketed during Yaya's watch, yet our people are poorer. To me, this
shows that the money is not going to the right people. My beliefs are
confirmed when I see Judgments from Swiss Courts categorically stating that
Yaya ordered Central Bank officials to transfer millions of dollars to his
personal bank accounts. As I said earlier, institutions such as yours and
the World Bank are beginning to take this vice more seriously. We can still
do a better job. We should endeavor to balance the desire to punish the
criminals with the need to help our poor. We should come up with innovative
ways of ensuring that our pro-poor policies help the poor people. Let us try
and remove the tyrants from the equation.

I thank you again for your invaluable contributions.
KB