GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kristen Velyvis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kristen Velyvis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Jun 1999 13:32:04 -0500
Hello All,

My apologies for the last, forwarded message I accidently sent without
comment. I was trying to erase the codes and decided to abort the effort,
but sent it instead!  Sorry!

I wanted to respond to Michael regarding the school trip to The Gambia.
It sounds like a wonderful educational opportunity for the students!

However, I'm wondering if I can be allowed to be somewhat provocative.
I'm wondering if it wouldn't add to the excitement of the children in the
UK to correspond with the school they will visit and perhaps ask *them*
about the proposed gift?  I'm wondering if the students, teachers,
administrators and/or parents there might not have a better idea of what
would be beneficial than those of us outside The Gambia?

I'm coming at this from a background in development.  I think of all the
well-meaning gifts that are given that aren't needed or wanted or don't
meet the priorities of the people to whom they are given.  I also think it
is somehow disempowering to constantly be the recipient of aid, especially
unrequested aid. Therefore, I wonder if the students or teachers who will
be visited could be contacted, and as equal correspondents think of a fun
project for all to do together?  Perhaps we'll learn the school wants the
library painted, or a new latrine built, or a basketball court
constructed, or new uniforms sewn.  Who knows?  I guess that's my point.
Only they know.  Maybe it would be fun to set up a dialogue between your
two schools to identify something they would like.

I am also a proponent of looking at the positive and building on that,
instead of looking at the negative.  I wonder if your students would like
to learn about the best things about the Gambian school they are about to
visit.  What are the students/teachers/administrators/parents there the
most proud of?  What do they do really well, enjoy the most, etc.  And
what can your students work with them on to make their school better?  No
matter the condition of that school, I have no doubt there are plenty of
things those kids are proud of - they're the best spellers around, have
the best soccer team, whatever!  I'm sure they'd like to share that with
your students and your students can be excited that whatever project you
do, it'll be used!

While that process might seem more burdensome, imagine how dismayed your
students would be to learn later that their new desks are not used because
the students can't come to school because the roof leaks!  There are so
many reasons well-intentioned "gifts" are left rusting and rotting
throughout Africa.  Maybe your group can try something new.

Apologies to all for getting on my soap box!  And best of luck with the
trip!  It sounds great!

Best wishes,
Kristen

Kristen Velyvis