GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ebrima Ceesay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Jan 2003 00:17:36 +0000
Gambia-L:

As usual, the unedited e-mail below came from a source at State House.

Ebrima

Hello Coach,

First of all, let me re-send an important portion of one Kebba Dampha's
brilliant articles on Gambia-Post.

KB wrote: "Instead, he (Yahya Jammeh) is ENSLAVING villagers working for him
at his farm. He is exploiting the poor villagers preaching to them that it
is ‘patriotic’ to break their backs at ‘his farm’. Meanwhile, he (Jammeh) is
NOT adequately paying them. He LIES to the people working at his farm that
the proceeds of their sweat go to ‘his foundation’. But, when we corner him
about his Swiss Bank accounts, he says that he has a farm. Which is which?"

Coach, the other day, George Sarr had requested a status report on the
so-called national reconciliation consultations etc.

Well, Coach, it appears that the "consultations" between the APRC government
and some former PPP ministers are still going on.  Several former PPP
cabinet ministers and senior officials were invited to State House to give
their views on the economic disaster, created by the despotic A(F)PRC
regime. And many of these personalities did come to State House.

Some granted interviews to the press, notably M.C.Cham. Others however,
refused to comment on their discussions with Vice President Mrs. Isatou
Njie-Saidy and Mrs Susan Waffa-Ogoo.

The last time I saw the duo (i.e. Isatou and Susan) they were hurdled in the
Conference Room at State House - doing a synthesis of their consultations
for Yahya Jammeh. So we await their recommendation(s) to Yahya Jammeh, but
most importantly, what Yahya Jammeh is going to do with their
recommendation(s).  However, one thing is clear and that is: there will be
no "Government of National Unity" in The Gambia that will include the
Opposition.

This conclusion is based on what the majority of those politicians said to
the Vice President and Susan Waffa-Ogoo. In fact, my conclusion is also
confirmed by APRC Chief Jaliba Yankuba Touray who hinted that the former PPP
ministers were unwilling to join them.

In short, Coach, the majority of those consulted essentially told the APRC
that, "You messed up the economy, called us all kinds of names, considered
us corrupt and inept - so now you have got to fix the damn thing or get
out." One of those invited to State House did not mince his words when he
was quoted as saying that the authorities know very well the problem of the
Gambian economy.

This gentleman proceeded to name the names of those who are now referred to
as the "Gang of Five" and how they continue to siphon-off our foreign
exchange, which they will then give to the money changers who are seen in
broad day-light trotting in and out of the Central Bank with sacks full of
money.

The majority of those former PPP ministers consulted did not go there to
sell their souls.  In fact, most of the former PPP Ministers, in their
opening remarks, stated categorically that they were not interested in
positions within the APRC Government. More and more people are being
convinced that the APRC government cannot survive the economic disaster they
have created and something will give. The debate now is when?

And, in fact, there are those who are even advocating for the resignation of
the Jammeh government, followed by an early election.

Coach, earlier on, I quoted Kebba Dampha on the use of free labour at the
Kanilai farm, because I have two couples currently residing at a friend's
house who 'escaped' from Kanilai where they spent two years and had nothing
to show for it.  They were fed while in Kanilai, but they were not
compensated, remunerated financially for the toils of their labour.

My next report will be on the week-end UDP Rally at Tallinding where
M.C.Cham took the stage and declared his full and unconditional support for
Ousainou Darboe and the UDP contrary to what the APRC folks had  expected.
Why? Because M.C. had spoken about restitution by APRC at another forum
which was interpreted as a condition for his joining the APRC gang of
theives. Doubts have been put to rest with his declaration.  Meanwhile, the
PPP will be holding its Executive Committee meeting next week Sunday to
select their Leader. OJ Jallow appears to be leading the pack.