GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ndey Jobarteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jun 2000 05:30:32 PDT
Jabou & co.

The Gambia government's so called women's empowernment gesture is mere
tokenism because the neccesity of empowering women is the new international
agenda. For this reason, the Jammeh government cannot afford to plot this
grand deception. The fact that a large contingent of women were sent to the
Bejing+5 meeting does not detract from the fact that these are a group of
women in fraternity with the government to pursue an elitist/government
agenda.

Again, the high number of women in public office has not impacted on the lives
of the mass suffering Gambian women. THeir antecedents since coming to office
is a reflection of what they truly are. What did they do when a young girl was
raped by an agent of the state? Did we hear them condermn this heirious crime?
What was their reaction when school children were murdered by the agents of
the state? We heard some of them when they blamed the victims. We also heard
how they blamed the victims Mothers' for being irresponsible parents, that
they brought up children who could demonstrate against the government.

Tombong and his sponsors should realise that women empowerment is not about
the number of female bodies occupying public offices. Women empowerment is
about equity and sensitivity to the plight of suffering women who derserve a
responsible and accountable government not murderers.

The Struggle Continues!!!!
Ndey Jobarteh

Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Well tombong,

They empower women but then they shoot our children in the street, and abuse
the civil rights of our citizens who were brought into this World by women.
Where is the logic?

Jabou joh