GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Hamadi Banna <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Apr 2000 13:19:46 PDT
Gambia-L:

The amount of mail coming in regarding the Monday massacre even from the
silent subscribers is just impressive!

The pressure does not have to begin and end in demonstrations and petitions.
President Jammeh's government is recalcitrant, fool-hardy and suicidal to
say the least.  It has to go! It is the duty of every Gambian to exercise
his/her civic right and vote the APRC out. Nothing personal; we're all just
getting tired of the debates. I still cannot fathom how Mr. Jammeh has in
less than a decade turned the clock back to the old political debates of
freedom of assembly and of association, bribery and corruption.

The cowardly shooting of rock-throwing children tells us the level of
paranoia he has succeeded in putting his security forces. I'm at a complete
loss as to who is who among them, anyway: Police, Fire-fighters, Police
Intervention Unit, Paramilitary Unit, oh I almost forgot, the dreaded July
22nd Youth Wing...

Every one of these forces has at one time or another abused, intimidated,
abducted, tortured or killed a Gambian citizen. And this with impunity!

Unless if I'm day-dreaming, I cannot see any justification for the APRC's
continued stay in power.

Hamadi.