GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joe Sambou <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Dec 2004 18:30:24 +0000
Folks, I hope Gambians are not lulled to sleep with this nonsense from
Amadou Janneh.  Deyda Hydara was murdered by the state and Yaya Jammeh is
ultimately responsible, just as he ordered for our young brothers to be
murdered on April 10.  This is also no different from the murder of Koro
Ceesay and many others.  Our cousins from over here have a saying: "Ain't
nobody gon ride your back, unless you bend over".  Gambians have been
bending over and Yaya has rode us all along.  IF we stop bending over, none
will ride us.

Just as Yaya is making the stakes higher for us by plucking lives away, we
need to reciprocate in kind.  Unless we go for his juggler, he shall
continue to murder us.  A brute will never give you your liberty, you got to
rip it form him.  This has never been a child's play.  If Deyda is murdered
for having the bone to stand against a criminal Media Bill, what do you
think will happen to the alliance if they come together?  He already
promised them that some of them will not witness 2006.  Mark my words, Yaya
Jammeh will attempt on one or two of them if we continue to bend over.  The
alliance need to get their act together now and realize that their neck is
on the line with this beast.  In order to hedge against these murderers, the
coalition need to have a task-force to mobilize the grassroots into a ready
force for mass upheaval.  Yaya has to understand that his head will be lost
if he attempts anything and that will start with this murder of Deyda.  That
also applies to all around him.  They have relatives, friends and spouses
and all are and will be game.  I do not want to hear "Nyunn Hamung Lee"
(this is not our tradition), that is what we say when we are afraid and want
to continue to bend over.  Yaya is murdering us left, right, and center and
all we can come up with is "Nyunn Hamung Lee".  We have our brothers in the
military who are equally abused.  Why are they not liberating themselves?
I'm sure Deyda has relatives, friends, and conscientious Gambians in our
Armed Forces that can put something in motion and those folks need to be
part of our struggle.

Folks, do not be concerned with the myth that Yaya has supernatural means.
He ain't got shit.  There is no such thing and a clear testimony to that is
Africa is where it is today because we were defeated in our last battles by
our conquerors.  Where were our means.  Did you not think the same of
Jawara?  Where is that coward today?  Had it not been for his cowardice, we
would have been concerned with other things and not to deal with a beast
today.  Thus, Gambians have to take matters in their own hands.  We either
die standing up or we are murdered because of our lack of bone.  Please read
below.

Government Condemns Shooting As 'Cowardly Act' Media Fraternity Says It Was
'Murder'

  Email This Page

Print This Page

Gambia Daily News (Banjul)

December 22, 2004
Posted to the web December 22, 2004

THE Gambia government has condemned as 'cowardly' the shooting to death of
Deyda Hydara the managing editor and co-proprietor of The Point newspaper.

An official press release dated 17 December stated as follows: 'The
Government of The Gambia is saddened by and concerned about the shooting to
death of Mr. Deyda Hydara, proprietor of The Point newspaper. 'The
Government vehemently condemns this cowardly act and pledges to do its
utmost best to apprehend the culprits and bring them to book.

'The security agencies are already conducting investigations, and the public
is urged to provide any information they may have on the incident to see
that justice is done.

'Government extends its sincere condolences to the Hydara family.' Deyda
Hydara, a correspondent of Agence France Presse, was reportedly shot to
death in the street on the night of Thursday 16 December, hours after a
reception he hosted to commemorate the 13th anniversary of The Point, which
was established on 16 December 1991.

Thousands of persons, expressing shock and disbelief, attended the funeral
prayers for the deceased at Banjul疄 Independence Drive mosque, and the
burial of the body at the Old Jeshwang cemetery on Friday evening.

Relevant Links

West Africa
Press and Media
Legal and Judicial Affairs
Gambia
Crime and Corruption

Deyda Hydara, a past president of the Gambia Press Union, was a leading
member of the media fraternity in The Gambia and west Africa. The media
community in The Gambia on Monday issued a press release in which it said
Deyda's killing was murder.'

To show their outrage, the private press in the country, beginning on
Monday, embarked on a week of mourning during which all the independent
newspapers will not be published. Deyda (1946-2004) is survived by his wife
Mariam and several children, including an adopted daughter.

中中中中中中中中中中中中中中中中中中中中中中中中中中中中中

中中中中中中中中中中中中中中中中中中中中中中中中中中中中中