GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Alpha Robinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Apr 2000 18:19:09 +0200
Tombong,

To dare to throw your analysis at us is really an insult to your intelligence
and ours too. I do not have time to deal with the dust that you are trying to
throw at us, but I hope someone will take all your contentions one by one apart
and expose the dishonesty, hypocrisy and ignorance so present in what you wrote.

Let me nonetheless remind you that this forum has reliable information about
what transpired and is still receiving reliable information. Saiks was in the
Gambia and was right there on the scene. FOROYAA had people on the scene through
whose observations they were able to compile a report which formed the basis of
a letter entitled " The state of the Nation-Letter to the President" sent to
Jammeh. I would suggest that you read this letter and Saiks' narration.

Here is an excerpt from that letter for you to think about:
"Hence, two phases of the confrontation with the security forces proved to be
fatal. The first one was events at the GTTI which gave the other students who
were far away from the scene the impression that their other colleagues were
being shot. The  second incident is near the headquarters of the paramilitary
forces when real live bullets were used."
"The fact that the students did not fire any live ammunition is precisely the
reason why no one has heard the death of a security officer........."

Really reading through your last paragraph one could see how ignorant you
consider the Gambian people to be. Talking about the things Jammeh did for
GAMSU. Now, let me remind you that I know Jammeh personally from our school days
at Gambia high school. Those were the days when Jammeh had to be helped
financially to get on with his schooling. Let me quickly say that I am not here
to belittle or ridicule him, that would be petty. The question that you should
therefore ask is: how comes that that poor student turned army officer has now
got so much wealth to dish out to buy all the things you have listed for GAMSU,
build Kaninlai, buy cars for Government departments, afford to buy all those
animals parading the state house and simply live the life of luxury he is known
to be enjoying, send people to Mecca and so on and so forth. Think about it for
a while Tombong. You know I know you too from our school days and I am sure you
will not find it difficult to find something wrong here, or have you erased the
memory stored in your brain?

Now, that aside, even if Jammeh was born rich and there are no reasons to doubt
that this wealth he is throwing at people belongs to the Gambian people, does
that mean that GAMSU should become subdued and kill their conscience, keep their
eyes shot, just because Jammeh is supporting them or because they are not
directly affected.

Let me leave you with Pastor Martin Niemoeller who lived in Germany under
Hitler's rule. This is what he wrote:

They first came for the Communists
And I didn't speak up
because I wasn't a Communist.