GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Mar 2001 10:37:45 -0500
The article below was culled from the Independent. The anguish Ebrima
Barry's father is going through must be devastating. And through all this,
this patriotic Gambian is still also thinking about the plight of the
victims of the massacre of April 10 and 11, 2000. What the government did to
this family and the families of the victims of the April Massacre, is a
classic illustration of the Wollof saying 'Doma leka-la beh pareh jaleh-la'.
These animals murdered innocent and defenseless children in broad daylight
and are now mocking the families of the victims by letting the perpetrators
of those heinous crimes walk the streets of Banjul scot-free. This is simply
disgusting. I pray that this man and his family stay strong and not let
these animals win the battle. At the end of the day, the good forces will
conquer evil of this nature. That is just the way it is. Good will always
thrive over evil. All these criminals will pay for their crimes.
KB

"I will follow my son's case till death"
Late Ebrima Barry's father vows
Alieu Barry the father of the late Ebrima Barry has said that death would be
the only obstacle to stop him from pursuing justice for his "murdered" son
Ebrima Barry. Mr. Barry who said he would appeal against the order to free
the seven fire brigade officers who were incriminated in the death of his
son Ebrima Barry said "I will pursue the case until I die". The murder trial
against the seven fire officers who allegedly beat Alieu's son to death were
acquitted and discharged last week by the High Court, causing consternation
from him. Alieu Barry who upon hearing the news of the acquittals and
subsequent discharge of the fire officers said he was shocked and dismayed
at the outcome.
According to him the news caused him to be taken ill. Our reporter said
Alieu Barry who was said to be very sick following the verdict burst into
tears in the course of the interview. Mr. Barry said that he had stopped
going to the court as his son's murder case progressed "because if I
continued going to the court, the whole hypocrisy of it all will case me to
kill or be killed". Noting his profound dissatisfaction he said it was
better for him to stay away to avoid the temptation of reacting dangerously
against those who he believe were standing in for the men who killed his son
in broad daylight. He said it was unbelievable that those who killed his son
were allowed to go scot-free and said if he were present he would have
reacted out of hand.
Although Alieu said his confidence in the dispensation of justice in The
Gambia has been shaken by the experience of "corrupted justice" he would
still pursue the matter at the courts to the end to ensure that justice is
done against what he believes was the unprovoked murder of his son last
year. Ebrima Barry's death was one of the main causes of last year's student
unrest in which more than ten students died when members of the security
force opened fire on them. Meanwhile Ebrima Barry's father was "emotionally
edgy" in the course of the murder trial. "In one of the sittings I told the
defense lawyer Mr. Jobarteh that he is a lawyer but should know that there
is life after death and that his actions will reflect in his file on the day
of judgment and that no iota of a deed will be left untried" he quoted
himself as saying during one of the court proceedings.
"I suffer no illness more than the thought of Ebrima's untimely death at the
hands of the fire officers" he explained. Mr. Barry said although lawyers
are powerful "God the creator and the developer of the universe is more
powerful than all and he is not a sleeping God and by his wish the truth
shall prevail soon". He said since many students died, demanding justice in
his son's murder it would be dishonourable on his part if he fail to show
abiding interest in the case.
He demanded that the government's stance on the Commission's report should
be reviewed. "This is in respect for the families of the student-victims
still mourning the deliberate killing of their defenseless children" he
said. Mr. Barry appealed to The Gambia Students' Union and all those who he
said believe in "true justice" to assist him in his "fight" against what he
called "the callous injustice of his son's death". He said Gambian students
have shown their concern over the "deliberate" beating and killing of
students by the security forces.