GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Deyda Hydara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Jan 2002 14:05:42 +0000
Good Day, Mr. Gassama

Your reply contains some inaccuracies.
You mentioned The Patriot, which is a political organ of the regime. As for
Jeggan, he was the editor of The Spectator that you said was owned by Joseph
Joof.
On Decree 70/71, what I said was limpid. In its haste to cripple the private
press, the government forgot to mention in Decree 70 that we were to
Re-register. Decree 70 only highlighted the increase of the amount for the
Bond thus: " Section 7 of the Principal Act is amended by deleting the words
"One hundred Dalasis by the words "One hundred thousand dalasis".
When they realised that the re-registration aspect of the Decree was missed
out, they came up with a Rectification Decree, Decree 71 with a Section 7 A:
" All bonds executed under Section 7 of the Principal Act in the sum of One
Thousand Dalasis are hereby cancelled and every newspaper previously printed
or published with such bond shall not be printed or published unless a bond
of One Hundred Thousand Dalasis is given and executed.
Now it took them days to figure out how to change the manner the bond used
to be executed. From colonial times to 1994, bonds were just a formality;
anybody brought by a publisher could sign the bond.
But for the regime, they asked us to provide landed properties whose value
must not be below D100, 000 Dalasis. One property was to guarantee the bond
and the second one was to guarantee the former.
All newspapers then hired valuators and came up with this unwarranted
requirement which was not in fact specified in the decrees.
You mentioned a D50, 000 bond; as I said the Decree's fines range from D10,
000 to 50,000.
Now I must say that I do not agree with you that newspapers should be closed
after paying fines.
I must pay homage here to the late AA Njie and Theophilus George who pledged
their properties for The Observer as Kenneth Best had no property in The
Gambia.
Foroyaa also re-registered under the new terms as a newspaper and no longer
a party organ. Therefore, The Patriot is the only party organ in the country
now.
Now you are equating 3 trials and 2 detentions for a period of 30 years
against 2 trials and 34 detentions for the last 7 years. I was the only One
arrested by the NSS not journalists on many occasions as we said.
I forgot the last time to respond to your question on publications, when I
went to Ghana in 1992, I saw a newspaper whose lead was "Rawlings Is Naught"
and another "Rawlings The …". In 1996, I saw about three newspapers
published on June 4 with the photos of all slain generals with captions such
as "their blood ask for revenge". And you know what? Rawlings did not detain
or arrest anyone one of them.
Our machine is now OK, can I go back to work and leave Gambia Lers do what
they do as I used to do?
Thanks