GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Oct 2001 16:49:42 -0400
I hope by the end of the day today President Darboe would have succeeded at
his final rally before the election in communicating to the Gambian people
that his government will be very different from the Dictatorship that led us
the past seven years. The magnanimity Darboe showed Yaya yesterday by
arranging for the latter’s safe passage through a crowd comprising of
thousands of Alliance Supporters, have to be repeated when Yaya is finally
defeated on Thursday. There is no honor in beating a man that is down, let
alone an immature boy like Yaya.

Having said that, the vermin should NOT be given safe passage to Cuba as he
is planning. Yaya has to face the Gambian justice system and answer for his
crimes. Under no circumstances should an Alliance government engage in a
witch-hunt. We need to move FORWARD. Just like I opposed the kangaroo courts
Yaya formed, I vehemently oppose any kangaroo courts to railroad the vermin
and his cohorts. Granted that criminals will NOT be ignored and mediocrity
will be eradicated in the system. But no one should be punished simply
because they were misguided enough to support child murderers blindly. It is
NOT a crime to belong to a Party that is even led by child murderers and
thieves.

I am happy that the Alliance unequivocally CONDEMNED Yaya’s irrational
utterances threatening people that are NOT going to vote for him. I am glad
that Gambians are going to REPUDIATE Yaya on Thursday for being the most
divisive politician our country has ever seen. Yaya would be REPUDIATED for
unashamedly telling Gambians in no uncertain terms that he will only take
care of APRC supporters if he is voted in. Yaya would NOT stop at neglecting
Opposition voters, but he said that he will actively go after them and
slaughter innocent people simply because they did NOT support his candidacy.
Clearly we do NOT want such a loose-canon be unleashed in our midst.

Sycophants that are following Yaya around should realize that the evil that
comes with Yaya is NOT confined to staunch Yaya critics alone. The moron
does NOT even care if he kills the spouses of his supporters. So those
people that are supporting Yaya should realize that their support of the
vermin does NOT even insulate their families from Yaya’s evil. Just ask
Fatoumata Jahumpa whose husband was unceremoniously sacked by Yaya after
accusing him of being a liar and disgracing him in broad daylight. But this
man was among the lucky ones that only got dismissed. People like Sana
Sabally and Sadibou Hydara and Almamo Manneh and Koro Ceesay would have
willingly traded places with Fatoumata Jahumpa’s husband. Look at people
like Buba Baldeh. Few days ago the moron was shouting at the top of his
voice supporting Yaya. Where is Baldeh today? Yaya fired him and Baldeh is
in hiding. So, why support a man that would turn around and abuse you or
abuse your family?

It makes no sense. Yaya and his cohorts ran a pathetic campaign
characterized by gaffe after gaffe. Instead of convincing people to vote for
him, the moron is just throwing stolen cash at some and threatening others.
He has clearly shown that he does NOT deserve the votes of the people.
Moreover, Ousainou Darboe has shown that he deserves to be elected
President. Darboe ran a fine campaign with the help of luminaries like Femi
Peters. During that campaign Darboe tackled ALL the difficult bread and
butter issues affecting our people. He has shown Gambians that he is NOT a
vindictive man. He is the only Opposition leader that succeeded in putting
together a coalition that comprised of members from all the political
parties that operated during the former region. NCP stalwarts like Dembo (By
Force) Bojang stand on the same platform with PPP stalwarts like Sam Sillah.
Assan Musa Camara and his supporters are supporting Darboe. Yesterday we
heard how GDP also gave their support to Darboe.

Like GDP, every Gambian that cares to open his/her eyes will see that Darboe
is clearly the strongest Opposition leader with the best chance to defeat
Yaya. And he will indeed defeat Yaya. I am glad that the grass-roots
supporters of Parties like NCP also recognize the futility in pursuing a
Dibba candidacy and will eventually support Darboe. It would have been an
icing on the cake had Dibba came out and did the decent thing by endorsing
Darboe openly. Granted, Dibba saying that he harbors no ill-will for Darboe
and also pointing out that Darboe lifted him up when he (Dibba) was down,
sends a positive message to NCP supporters about Darboe. But this falls a
little short of telling Dibba supporters to vote for Darboe since Darboe is
clearly stronger than Dibba. I hope before Thursday Dibba will finally
recognize in public what everyone knows to be the reality on the ground.

Needless to say, before Darboe can give Gambians a bright future, Gambians
have to vote for him in the first place. Darboe will NOT and CANNOT usurp
power. He needs the mandate of the people. Darboe needs to beat Yaya in a
convincing manner to avoid any controversy. It is disingenuous for
Opposition supporters to waste their votes voting for candidates that CANNOT
win Yaya and then turn around and castigate Darboe. In a fight against evil,
people MUST take sides. At this eleventh hour, matters have boiled down to
Darboe against Yaya. Everybody (including other Opposition Parties) MUST
take sides. At the end of the day history will NOT judge kindly any person
that blatantly sided with evil and voted for Yaya or wasted his or her vote
by staying home or depriving Ousainou Darboe the vote one way or the other.

Decent Gambians that want Darboe to treat ALL Gambians fairly when he
becomes the President of ALL Gambians, should first of all ensure that they
also do their part by helping to elect Darboe. One MUST NOT sit on the fence
until after all the heavy lifting is done and then come and start laying
conditions. The moral authority will NOT be there.
KB