GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Amadu Kabir Njie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Aug 2004 20:25:50 -0500
Issue No. 62/2004, 5-8 August, 2004

Editorial

FOROYAA /CENTRAL BANK DIALOQUE

Foroyaa has received a memorandum from the Central Bank on the comments
made by the paper on the Press Release of the Monetary Policy Committee of
the Central Bank. See Page2 for the details of the memorandum. It says that
the primary objective of the monetary committee is to achieve and maintain
price stability; that the MPC will carry out its function by setting short-
term interest rates.

We understood the content of the Press Release. It is the central bank,
which should understand the thrust of our arguments. Public sector policy
is not formulated in a vacuum. We thought that was the reason for holding a
press conference when the Monetary Policy Committee was established. We
appreciated the strategic thrust for setting up the committee and we called
for an enlargement of its role based on the requirements of the objectives
of the West African Monetary Zone and the West African Central Bank was
building its administrative structures so as to engage in strategic
thinking in advance. Unfortunately, the Central Bank is telling us that it
aims to limit its focus to what has always been the target of Monetary
Policy but which had never been achieved. In short, since the first
republic the main focus of Monetary Policy has aimed at the lowering of the
rate of inflation and the maintaining of exchange rate that is competitive
and stable.  Of course, there is a definite link between Interest rates,
exchange rates and prices of commodities. Economic factors of supply and
demand can also determine inflationary trends. There are primary and
secondary Monetary and economic factors which determine the prices of
commodities and exchange rates. In some instances mere Monetary regulation
cannot impact on inflation. This is why the primary focus of the Monetary
Committee should not be the mere achievement and maintenance of price
stability. The committee will never have the authority to do this. What it
has capacity to do is monitor and give accurate information on inflation,
exchange rate and interest rate factors and tenders. It is the duty of the
Department of State for Finance and Economic affairs to analyse such
information to formulate macroeconomic policy. We wish the authorities at
the Central Bank will understand where Monetary policy in particular stops
and macroeconomic policy in general starts. This was illusive as far as the
press release was concerned. Infact, we were generous with out critical
appreciation of the press release. We wanted to be constructively critical.
We are disturbed that the Central Bank separates the aims of the West
African Monetary Zone among which is the achievement and maintenance of
price stability as different from their own to main price stability. Why
build another structure to operationalise the aims of the WAMZ when the
Committee should infact take the lead in West Africa in being a permanent
structure that will not only handle short term monetary issues of the
country but our long term monetary concerns. In rejecting our observations
and taking the posture of clarifying what is already understood the Central
Bank is missing the essence of calling for a press conference whose
objective is to get the public to validate their initiative. All comments
should be taken in good faith. This is the people centred approach.

State Challenges Verdict On Dumo & Co Treason Case

The state has criticized the judgment delivered by Justice Ahmed Belgore in
respect of the treason trial involving Dumo Saho, Ebrima Barrow and Ebrima
Yarboe in the strongest possible terms. The scatting criticism of the
judgment is contained in a four ground of appeal filed by the state on
Monday. The authorities have described the decision of the trial judge as
one that is outrageously perverse.

According to the appeal, the learned trial judge erred very seriously in
law when he held that Franchesco Casso’s testimony in court was not
corroborated by other evidence, whilst noting that Justice Belgore had
himself overruled the submission of no case of the accused, which meant
that the prosecution had adduced sufficient evidence to warrant a defence
by the accused. The state argued that a case can be established by the
evidence of even a single witness or it can even be based solely on the
accused’s confession, whilst pointing out that the prosecution is at
liberty to call such number of witness or witnesses as will enable it
adduce sufficient evidence to link the accused’s with the commission of the
offence.

“A party is not bound to call relevant witnesses. There is no irreducible
minimum number of witnesses that must be called. It is in evidence on
record that the other actors including Abdoulie Sanyang that would have
been used as a witness were at large having fled the jurisdiction,” the
state argued.

The state argued that the trial judge subjected the testimony of Franchesco
Casso in court and his statement to heavy attack, whilst noting that the
aforesaid judge made reference to every imaginable discrepancy in
Franchesco Casso’s testimony to discredit him. The appeal further stated
that the existence of some discrepancies and inconsistencies in the
testimony of a witness does not render the totality of his testimony
unreliable, whilst stressing that the discrepancy must be on a relevant
fact. It further went on to say that even if Franchesco Casso is viewed as
a villain, his testimony must be given appropriate consideration within
legal confines, whilst noting that the proper way to test the credibility
of a testimony on a relevant fact is to relate it to other evidence on
record and see if it is possible. It further stated that the learned trial
judge erred in law when he concluded that Franchesco Casso’s evidence is a
fabrication and riddled with contradictions.

Bansang Hospital Gets New Interim Chief Executive

The new Chief Executive for Bansang Hospital is Mr. Ebrima Dampha, a
retired civil servant who has been appointed in the interim. Mr. Ebrima
Dampha was a trained nurse by profession and headed various units in the
health sector, attended several training programs outside and within the
Gambia. Before retiring Mr. Dampha was the Administrator at the Kanifing
Divisional Health Team Office (D.H.T) K.S.M.D.  He took over office on
Monday 2nd August 2004 from Dr. Musa Philly Jobarteh who served in the
position since 1994, from Dr. Sanyang.

According to the staff, they are still not satisfied with the change,
because they indicated that what the authorities told them was that the
position of Principal Accountant, administrator and Public Relations
Officer (PRO) would be advertised immediately. They indicated that they
were told by the authorities that these position need to be filled with
urgency. Some sources went on to say that the reason why some of these
positions were not still advertised is because the former administrator Mr.
William Jarjue and the former accountant Mr. Marcel Njie were not
dismissed. Sources went on to indicate that since the suspension of these
people, these positions remained vacant up to date.  According to the
representative of the workers they will write to the board chairman and the
SoS to explain why these positions have still yet not been advertised, and
that this time around, they expect a definite answer; that otherwise they
will resume the strike and this time they will continue until their demands
are met. They indicated that they couldn’t allow this thing just for
personal reasons but for the benefit of all Gambians. This reporter went to
the new interim chief executive officer to talk to him but was told that he
is busy. According to Sheriff Badjie, Secretary to the Staff Association,
the authorities should not play a game on them. This reporter was also told
that the commissioner who is the board chairman travelled to Banjul and
could not be reached for comment. Mr. Badjie later told me that Mr. Dampha,
the interim chief executive would be here for only a period of two months.

More Problems For The People

Should It Continue Like This?

Looking at the economic situation of the country and how difficult things
are, people are thinking of what to do to feed their families. Now there is
this problem of vehicle or transport difficulty from Brikama to Serrekunda
which is adding more to the predicament of the people.

One coming from Brikama area and going to Serrekunda has to pay double
fares for transportation.

Last Tuesday a crowd of people coming from Brikama and its surroundings
found themselves stranded opposite the Bundung Police Station waiting for
vehicles to go to Serrekunda.

No one can tell what the problem was but what the drivers were saying was,
that now that is where their garage is. Can you imagine what will happen?
How many people will be able to pay double fares to come to Serrekunda?
Even the drivers complain that this is not favourable for them.

One Adama Badjie who plies the Lamin Serrekunda route said he doesn’t know
the reason why they are now stopping at the Bundung Police Station. He said
he was even trying to help his customers who were complaining that he
should take them up to Serrekunda and they refused to get down the vehicle.
By doing so, he said he was about to turn to take his customers when the
police came and parked his vehicle.

“You see now this is a great loss to me and now I have to suffer for it
because I have to pay before I get my vehicle again,” he complained. He
stressed the need for things to go back to normal.

Another driver Buba Badjie also plying the Brikama – Serrekunda route has
this to say; “This actually is not good for us the drivers and the
customers as well; each will suffer. You see how I am right now I have to

He appealed to whoever is responsible to try and return things to normalcy.

Ansu Sanyang a passenger coming from Bakoteh said that he stood at
Serrekunda garage for two hours waiting for a vehicle to go to Brikama
before he was told that vehicles now stop at the garage opposite Bundung
Police Station. “This means that I have to pay triple fares just to go to
Brikama, which is not easy at all,” he remarked.

One Sally Ceesay also a passenger from Sinchu Alagie to Serrekunda has this
to say; “You see us, we were quarelling with the driver to return us our
money. My baby is sick and I am taking her to the hospital and there is no
extra money here with me, so I have to fight to get back my money to save
my baby,” she said.

I went to the officers who were at the scene but they referred me to their
licence officer and when I went to the officer, he indicated that he does
not know anything about it.

Whatever the case might be this is a great cause for concern to all which I
think should be reviewed if we want the country to proceed because
transport is already expensive which people are complaining of and now we
are seeing that fares are being doubled. What is the average Gambian to do
now?

Baba Jagne Electrocuted

The National Water and Electricity Company (NAWEC) lost one of their staff
Mr. Baba Jagne. The late Mr. Jagne passed away in the early hours of
Tuesday morning whilst on an active duty.

Reports from NAWEC said the late Mr. Jagne was trying to switch on the
feeder in Wellingara-Nema-Kunku line and unfortunately for him there was a
live line hanging on the switch which he did not notice because the place
was dark by then. The live line got in contact with the switch when he was
trying to switch on and it was at this time that he got shocked of his life
and died instantly. NAWEC officials said this kind of death of a NAWEC
staff is the first of its kind happening but they said they are right now
reviewing the safety standard to ensure that such an occurrence would not
happen again.

The late Baba Jagne was working under the NAWEC branch at the Serrekunda
tank.

He was laid to rest on Tuesday evening at is native village in Njawara in
North bank Division.

THE BELGORE COMMISSION

GAMTEL’s MD Testify

The presidential commission into The Gambia Telecommunications Company
Limited’s (GAMTEL) Fibre Optic Cable Project with SEIMENS of Germany and
BEFAG AG1 of Switzerland kicked off on Tuesday.  In its inquiry the
Commission will probe into the missing $3 Million.

Testifying before the Commission on Tuesday, the managing director of
GAMTEL, Omar Ndow, told the Commission that his institution depends on
SIEMENS, a supplier of telecommunication equipment for the supply of
equipment and service. He noted that BEFAG of Switzerland was introduced to
GAMTEL as financiers by SIEMENS of Germany. He said a contract was entered
into by GAMTEL, SIEMENS and BEFAG. He stated that the then managing
director of GAMTEL, Bakary Njie and the aforesaid company’s counsel, Lamin
Jabbie signed on behalf of GAMTEL. He said the whole contract was to last
for a period of ten years and it has a grace period of one year. He said
GAMTEL did not sign any contract with Standard Chartered Bank. However, he
was quick to point out that the two aforesaid institutions signed what he
referred to as a facilitating document for the bank to provide his
institution with a collateral of ten million dollars. He said the then
managing director of GAMTEL Abdourahman Mboob and its finance director
Foday Ceesay signed on behalf of GAMTEL.

BEFAG was to provide GAMTEL with ten million dollars for the financing of
the former’s fibre optic project, but GAMTEL was supposed to provide a
collateral of three million dollars.

Mr. Ndow stated that he has not received any report indicating that the
board of directors of the company has given approval for the project. He
said the board was not initially aware of the project but the management
was aware. Mr. Ndow testified that the contract was to provide fibre links
from Basse to Barra, and to provide access to sixty villages on the North
Bank on the fibre link. He said the contract was prepared by SIEMENS and
given to GAMTEL for amendments. Testifying further, Mr. Ndow said some of
GAMTEL’s projects are financed from revenue generated by the aforesaid
body. He said Standard Chartered Bank was supposed to provide the bond
needed whilst BEFAG was supposed to provide finance for the project. He
said BEFAG was supposed to provide ten million dollars for the fibre optic
project. Mr. Ndow pointed out that GAMTEL partly fulfilled its part of the
agreement because it paid some amount of money to SIEMENS through the
latter’s bank account at Standard Chartered Bank.

Mr. Ndow stated that BEFAG did not provide the ten million dollars meant
for the financing of the project. He said GAMTEL paid fifty thousand
dollars to BEFAG on the 12th November 2001. He pointed out that the Cheque
is signed by Bakary Njie, former MD of GAMTEL, and Foday Ceesay, the
latter’s financial director. The witness testified that he is not aware
whether GAMTEL’s management queried the format of the bond it entered into
with BEFAG. Mr. Ndow said the management of GAMTEL was informed by one
Bernadette Mendy of Standard Chartered Bank Gambia Limited that they
(Standard Chartered Bank) have been informed by Standard Chartered Bank UK
that the money has been cashed. The money was cashed by one Mr. Wypkema. He
said it is not up to his knowledge that GAMTEL instructed Standard
Chartered Bank to issue a bond. The witness said he did not know who
authorized the payment of the three million dollars. He said the management
of GATEL has issued a formal protest to Standard Chartered Bank over the
three million dollars. However, he was quick to say that he did not know
whether the protest letter written by Mr. Mboob, the then MD of GAMTEL has
been sent to Standard Chartered Bank. He said the protest letter was dated
15th April 2003. He said the money was cashed on 12th August 2002. The
witness further stated that GAMTEL’s Management was informed of the
aforesaid payment and it subsequently brought it to the attention of the
latter’s board.

Footnote: You will be informed in our next edition which institution or
individual urged Mr. Wypkema to cash the three million dollars in issue.

The Paul Commission

Vice President, Isatou Njie Saidy

Testifying before the commission on Monday, Vice President and Secretary of
State for Women Affairs Isatou Njie Saidy indicated that before July 1994,
she was the Executive Secretary of the Women’s Bureau; that from 16th July
1995 to March 1997, she was SoS for Health and Social Welfare. She said
from 1997 to date, she has been the Vice President and Secretary of State
for Women Affairs. She acknowledged receiving an asset declaration form
from the commission, which she filled and returned to the commission. She
indicated that the only addition she wanted to make on the form is her per-
diem from 1994 to 1997, which could not be traced from PMO due to the long
duration. She however indicated that she would try to supply the commission
with her travel per-diem in 10 working days. She pointed out that most of
her travels are sponsored by UNDP. VP Njie Saidy indicated that the
president is not involved either directly or indirectly on how her travel
expenses are disposed. She said that this is wholly the responsibility of
the protocol and spending officers. She said that during her tenure in
office, she applied for land allocation once and that was the last. She
pointed out that she was allocated land in Bijilo but that no development
has taken place yet because they keep on changing the plot from plot 10 to
6 and from 6 to 1.

Continuing her testimony, VP Njie Saidy indicated that her siblings have
never applied for land allocation and that they were never allocated any
land. She pointed out that her siblings only inherited land from their late
father. She indicated that other than her emoluments, her other source of
income is farming which has already been reported in her declaration of
asset. She indicated that she has no foreign account, but that her siblings
have foreign accounts. She said she has no assets outside the Gambia. She
said she had one private car before 1994 and that car is now parked. She
pointed out that she got a sound system after 1994. She also indicated that
her late husband bought 2 TV sets, one before 1994 and the other after
1994. She indicated that she could not remember the value of the land in
Bijilo because it was leasehold. She said she has no property in Kotu. She
pointed out that she doesn’t go out because of her position.

Further testifying, VP Njie Saidy indicated that the major investment she
made is at her Kerr Serign property. She said apart from the loan of D970,
000, she also spent D200, 000 due to some defect on the structure. She said
she acquired the land at Kerr Serign between June and July 2002 and
construction started there off. She pointed out that constructions were
completed in April 2004. She said the house is a storey building. She
highlighted that she has a salary account in Trust Bank and a loan account
in Arab Gambia Islamic Bank (AGIB). She indicated that her daughter has an
account in Standard Chartered Bank but not her personally. She acknowledged
putting in money in that account and also pointed out that her daughter
puts in whatever she got from her father and friends. She pointed out that
even though she is the trustee of the account because her daughter is
underage, the account was opened by her late father for her. She promised
to furnish the commission with the statement of account of her daughter’s
account with Standard Chartered Bank. VP Njie Saidy said that she has no
cause to open business for people. She however pointed out that she
received people who have interest to invest in the Gambia and in that case,
she does not recommend; that instead, she refers them to the relevant
department of state. She acknowledged receiving complaints because “My
office is for lodging complaints.”

Continuing her testimony, Njie Saidy said she has received gifts by virtue
of her office but that whenever she received such gifts, she would call the
press and do it in the open because the gifts are pubic and not privately
to her. She indicated that she has never received gifts from anybody in
appreciation of a service she has rendered to the individual either in cash
or in kind. She indicated that the gifts she received and which everyone
does, is in appreciation of government and that is natural. She said they
received this nationally and internationally. She indicated that she is not
servicing any loan; she said she paid all her loans when she joined the
executive. She said she is not maintaining or responsible for the education
of anyone outside the Gambia. VP Njie Saidy indicated that no one is
operating a business on her behalf. She said she received queries like the
Auditor’s Report when she was SoS for health, and ghost workers and many
more. She indicated that two of her siblings are out of the Gambia and she
sends them money generated from the properties they inherited from their
late father as indicated on her declaration. She said that she personally
sends them money when she sees somebody reliable or if she happens to be in
that country. She pointed out that she sometimes sends £1000.

Further continuing her testimony, VP Njie Saidy indicated that she does not
know the amount of investment in her Faraba Sutu Farm but indicated that
she planted 1,900 cashew trees. In the same vain, she could not also say
the amount she spent on her Old Yundum farm. She said she engaged in
farming to respond to the president’s back to the land call. At this stage
Emmanuel Fagbenle applied for the witness to step down since he obtained a
lot of information from her in writing. The next witness to testify was
Yankuba Touray.

Testifying before the commission, Yankuba Touray pointed out that his last
appointment was as SoS for Communication, Information and Technology from
October 2003 to December 2004. He said from 1994 to 1997 he was SoS for
Local Government and Lands and that from 1997 to 2000, he was SoS for
Youths and Sports. He pointed out that from 2000 to 2003, he was SoS for
Tourism and Culture. He acknowledged that he received an assets declaration
form, which he filled and returned to the commission. He said he wanted to
add on page 6 of the form his salary from 1999 to 2003, which was D111,
786. 12 per annum. He indicated that from 1994 to 1999 he is not sure of
the amount of his salary but that it will be between D72, 000 to D80, 000
per annum. He indicated that he does not think that his appointment letter
will contain his salary but then he said between 1994 to 1999 there was
salary adjustment. He pointed out that from 1994 to his last day in office,
apart from his emoluments, he had no other source of income. Yankuba
indicated that he has no business establishment but that his wife is
engaged in business before 1994. He indicated that his wife is engaged in
international trade before 1994 and also engaged in commercial transports.
He pointed out that his wife has one tipper truck that transport sand and
gravel. He also pointed out that the wife has two trucks that transport
goods and also one 16-seater bus. He pointed out that the commercial
transports were established in 2001.

Continuing his testimony, Yankuba said that his wife established a beauty
saloon in 2003 worth a total investment of D250, 000. He categorically
pointed out that he does not contribute anything in the purchasing of the
transports and does not commit anything towards the capital of the beauty
salon. He indicated that he does not control any of the businesses and does
not spend anything on them. He indicated that he does not operate a joint
account with is wife. Yankuba indicated that between 1994 to 2003, he has
not applied for land allocation but that he was allocated. He however said
that he applied for an extension of his allocated plot at Kotu East Layout.
He said neither his wife nor his siblings have applied for land allocation
during the period under review. He indicated that government gives 90 days
notice for re-entering of land and the same practice obtains for the TDA.
He indicated that even though his original plot in Kotu East Layout is one
with the extension, it is put in a different lease. He pointed out that the
new lease does not contain the particulars of the old lease and the same
practice is extended to TDA. He indicated that he started developing his
plot in Kotu East Layout and completed it in 2004. He said he committed
D3.2 million in his Kotu East compound. He indicated that the wife was
allocated a plot at Bijilo but added that the one in Banjulinding was
purchased by her in 1999, which was provincial leasehold. He said the
commissioner of Western Division is responsible for issuing provincial
lease. He indicated that he was not involved in the process but that his
wife told him that she bought the plot at a price of D19, 000. He said the
plot in Bijilo is not developed by the wife.

Continuing further his testimony, Yankuba pointed out that even though he
bought a plot of land in Brufut in 1998 for D36, 000, he disposed off it in
2004. He said he has no other land in the name of his wife, children or
friends. He said he has no farmland and does not engage in farming. He said
he is not holding any property in trust for any one and that no one is
holding any property for him. He also indicated that he is not holding any
business for any one and that no one is also holding any business for him.
He indicated that his Kotu East compound has started generating income. He
said one of the buildings is three-bedroom storey building and the other
one is a luxury house. He said that the two sets of jewelry indicated in
the assets declaration form were purchased by his wife and himself. He said
between 1994 to date, he has not purchased any jewelry for his wife. At
this stage, the chairman of the commission said that he is amazed with the
attitude of Gambian men. He said any time you asked them about jewelry,
they said, I do not buy jewelry for my wife. “They are not fair with them.”

Continuing his testimony Yankuba pointed out that his television sets are
big screen 21 inches. He said he bought his furniture from the Mariatu
Beach Hotel for D10, 000-. Yankuba said that he has a ford car BJL 4899B
but that the Mercedes Benz car BJL 8400B and ford probe car BJL 0813 belong
to his wife. He indicated that the ford probe car was a gift from Ebrima
Nyang a family friend to his wife. He said Ebrima Nyang lives in Bakau but
presently he is outside the Gambia. Yankuba pointed out that Elysium
enterprise was registered in 2003 for real estate business and multi
purpose centre. He said the multi purpose aspect deals with day care for
many other things. He said te real estate aspect Elysium has started
operating but not the multi purpose aspect of it. He acknowledged buying a
Mercedes Benz 300 for his children. Elysium has near packaged any real
estate on behalf of government or any parastatals. He said he has never
referred Elysium to do any real estate for government during and after his
tenure of office. He said he is not a shareholder of Elysium and has not
contributed any finance towards the establishment of Elysium. He said the
only thing that he has done for his wife was to help her register the
enterprise. Yankuba pointed out that Elysium does not have an office. He
said the business is presently done at her father’s residence at Sir John
Mahoney Street in Banjul. He said Elysium has no account. He said the
income generated from the beauty saloon is about D140, 00 per annum. He
said the wife does not keep record of her income generated from her
international trade but keeps an account in the Bank. Yankuba categorically
said that he made no contribution towards the capital of his wife’s
business. Her said the wife spends on feeding, school fees for the
children, medical bills and naturally when he needs money he asked her and
she gives him. He said the smallest amount he received is D5000 and the
highest amount is D20, 000. Yankuba said he has an account with Guaranty
Trust and two accounts in IBC. He said one is a savings account and the
other current account. He promised to furnish the commission with the
statement of accounts. He said neither his wife nor him has a foreign
account. He pointed out that he has never received any gift outside the
Gambia during his tenure of office as Secretary of State. He said he is not
responsible for the maintenance or education of anyone outside the Gambia.
He said he is not involved in the salt mining business but that his
children are involved. He said he is not responsible for financing the
business on behalf of his children. He said the business was first owned by
his wife’s father who invited her in mortgage financing from Trust Bank. He
said the wife and father secured D300, 000 from Trust Bank using her
property in Banjulinding and her father’s property in Banjul. He said in
2001, his wife transferred her shares to the children. He said no income is
derived from the company yet because anything generated is put back to
business. He said he does not know the total investment in the business
because apart from the D300, 000 loan, the shareholders contributed an
amount which he cannot recall but promised to furnish the commission with
the amount within 7 working days. He also said that he would furnish the
commission with the name and addresses of the other four shareholders
within the same 7 working days. He said the company has not secured a plot
of land and that Elysium enterprise has neither purchased nor allocated a
plot of land. He pointed out that no one had either benefited from a gift
of land from him as SoS for Local Government and Lands. He indicated that
he has never opened a business outlet for anybody. Continuing his testimony
further, Yankuba said that he acquired the loan in 2002 and that he used
his Kotu East plot 3210 as security for the loan. He pointed out that the
loan was in connection to the development of that property in Kotu East. He
said other than the housing loan and his emolument; he received help from
his good friends in kind (i.e. materials). He said the amount he received
from friends in money terms is about D80, 000 and in addition, supplied
sand and gravel, which he was not paying for. At this stage, he was given a
piece of paper to list the names and addresses of his good friends and the
amount each contributed. He did that and submitted it to Emmanuel Fagbenle.
After looking at the list, Emmanuel Fagbenle expressed surprise that
Yankuba’s best friend, Lang Conteh is not among the list. Yankuba said Lang
Conteh did not contribute that’s why he is not listed. He said he has not
finished servicing the loan from the home financing company and indicated
that the loan is a period of 19 years. He said he does not know the
majority shareholders in the home finance company but that he knows that it
is established by some Ghanaians and Social Security.

Continuing his testimony Yankuba Touray said that the US$8, 000 was a loan
given to his wife by Camelot and that the loan was in connection to the
beauty saloon. He pointed out that the Chief Executive of Camelot is Lang
Conteh who is a family friend. He also acknowledged that Global Finance and
Assets Management also gave loan to his wife, which he indicated in his
declaration. He said that he does not know who was the Chief Executive of
the Global Finance and Assets Management but that Lang Conteh has a hand in
it. He pointed out that the loan from Camelot does not bear interest but
the one from Global Finance and Assets Management does bear interest.
Yankuba indicated that his wife did not give any personal guarantee for
these two loans. When asked to supply the commission the breakdown of his
per-diem from 1994 to 2003 when he left office, he indicated that, that
will be difficult because he is no longer in government. He said the
attitude of public officers is that if you are not in government they feel
afraid to associate with you. He asked the commission to help him get the
record of his per-deim from PMO. The chairman indicated that the commission
would help but that the request must come from him (Yankuba). At this
stage, the commission was adjourned till Tuesday for the witness to
continue his testimony.

Sitting of Tuesday 3rd August 2004

“I Am Not A Poor SoS” Manlafi Jarjue Tells Commission

As President Jammeh’s Commission of inquiry into the properties, assets and
activities of top government officials intensifies at the department of
state for Trade Industry and Employment in Banjul, on Tuesday 3rd August
2004, the Secretary of State for Local Government and Lands, Mr. Manlafi
Jarjue continued his testimony.

SoS Jarjue denied creating any housing layout or estate since his inception
as SoS except the one in process. He admitted that he received layouts when
he assumed office, stating that when he assumed office, he found the
National Intelligence Agency (NIA) investigating illegal allocation of
plots of land in Bijilo, Tanji and Brufut. He further denied that his
friends, wife and himself were allocated plots of land when he was
appointed. SoS Jarjue said that the documents of his properties tendered
before the commission were acquired after his appointment. Responding to a
question regarding re-allocation or re-entry of a lot of land at Kotu, he
answered in the positive, but stated that re-allocation and entry are not
the same. The re-allocation and entry are recorded in documentary form. The
way it is allocated is by giving out one plot of land per Gambian. The re-
allocation and entry do not violate the rules or Acts, he posited. Mr.
Jarjue denied that he is not aware of any arrangement between the lands
department and Social Security and Housing Finance Cooperation (SSHFC) in
allocating estates stating that SSHFC is responsible for planning and
allocation of plots of land on their own properties. He said he doesn’t own
any property from SSHFC as gift or sale. He admitted that he knows that the
Tourism Development Authority were selling and allocating plots of land but
doesn’t know the area, because he is not responsible; that the Gambia
Tourism Authority (GTA) were given land before his appointment and that the
said land is the responsibility of the Tourism Department for them to sell
or do otherwise with the approval of cabinet. He further said that when
they (GTA) were selling plots of land at the TDA he applied with a view of
paying by installment but could not because he had other financial
commitments to make.

SoS Jarjue denied that the Bijilo land was reserved for Government Civil
Servants who did not have plots of land before. He also denied that he has
a plot of land in Tujereng and Lamin, but admitted that he knows all the
Alkalos in the Greater Banjul Area, because he once met them a few months
ago, but that they never offered him any land. He said that the 2
properties he owned in Sanyang Village are known to everybody because they
are not hidden properties to anybody. He stated that one is leased whilst
the other is freehold. He described the allegation of him having interest
in Bijilo area completely unfounded and baseless; that he bought a plot of
land from Ebra Faal in Bijilo and he produced the sketch plan of the said
land to the commission but could not recall any dispute after buying the
land. He explained that Ebra Faal is the son of the late Bijilo Alkalo and
believed that he inherited the said land from his late father. He said that
he acquired all his properties before his appointment as SoS for Local
Government and Lands. He denied that any of his close associates or family
members has re-entered of plots of land in Cape Point. He said he has re-
entered of plots of land in Cape Point, Brufut, Tanji, Bijilo and Kotu. He
further said that he has approved the allocation of re-entry of rented
plots of land and this is free of charge but further indicated that you
must be a Gambian, aged 18 years and above and will be able to build it
immediately.

SoS Jarjue denied threatening any of his staff not to declare his
properties. He challenged any of his staff or anybody to declare and prove
his plots of land, which he did not declare before the commission and he
will come again before the commission and declare that he lied in his
testimony. He said he is not a poor SoS who steals from government coffers
because he was working in the USA for several years as an engineer. He said
he inherited his ancestors’ farmland in the Fonis, which is in Kilometer
and two plots of land in Bato Kunku.

He finally said that he has a black Jaguar car, Might Max, Red Mitsubishi
pickup and one Nissan patrol as his private cars.

 Yankuba Touray

In continuing his testimony, the former outspoken AFPRC/APRC man and former
Secretary of State for several departments, Rtd. Captain Yankuba Touray
brought details of his children’s school fees receipts since 1994 to date,
particulars of shareholders of Ellison Company and letter of appointment
dated March 1997. He said the TDA area was allocated to people free of
charge. He said he did not receive any payment from anybody on the TDA area
allocation. He also said that he did not recall anybody giving him any gift
either in cash or kind for the TDA allocations and cannot recall anybody
levelling allegations against him on the allocation of land at the TDA. He
said he could remember Lang Conteh, former Central Bank of The Gambia Forex
Bureau given a plot of land, whom he described as his friends; that apart
from Lang Conteh’s application of land on that particular plot there was no
application; that the said land is situated on the highway which was shown
in a publication of the Daily Observer of July 1999 and August 30th 2001
about the controversy between Tijan Barry and Salma Swiss on the said plot
of land. He said the editions on the Daily Observer about this land were
about a pitch concession and he did not require any approval from anybody
as SoS. Mr. Touray denied discussing the said land with Dr. Taal, Hon. Nai
Ceesay, Muniru Darboe, Fatoumata Jahumpa Ceesay and Baba Jobe and could
recall that after the allocation of the land, Halifa Sowe came to his
office to talk about this land to him; that from there he knew that Halifa
owns the said land, but the concession between him and Lang Conteh was
already done.  Mr. Touray explained how land was allocated under his
ministry stating that there are 2 ways; that one way is to rent which deals
with beach bar concessions and this is annually rented by the TDA. He said
that the second is the ninety days notice, which is to remedy the bridge,
and it relates to the hotel and business industries. He further said that
beach bar concession contains a proto type which shows the feasibility to
build big buildings or not and the concessions are based on some
characteristics. Mr. Touray referred the commission to the Tourism
Department for the copy of the said concessions. He said that allocations
of land does not go along with friendship; that they do their job
officially. Mr. Touray told the commission that the Salma Swiss allocation
is a re-entry allocation it was not developed, citing the land along the
Bayba express Office in Tourism Industry Area.  He said he could not
remember the year it was re-entered.  He revealed that the Abdoulie Ngum he
knows was allocated one based on concession and he is the proprietor of
Teranga Beach; that since 2001 to date the allocation process of land at
the TDA has been under the Gambia Tourism Authority (GTA) Board of
Directors; stating that this was done by an Act of the National Assembly.
He denied being a member of that board but said that the Permanent
Secretary at the Department of State for Lands is a member.  Mr. Touray
denied that the allocation of the Ngum and Elysium plots were not the same;
that the terms and conditions of allocating the two plots were completely
different.  He further said that he did not play any role in Mr. Ngum’s
acquisition of his land.  He further revealed that the GTA has a deposit
and processing fee of Twenty Thousand Dalasis (D20,000) and the interested
person will be issued a payment receipt.  He also said that he could recall
in 2002 the Elysium paid the same amount of money and promised to bring the
said receipt in three days.

Mr. Touray said he does not control the GTA, NCAC, Roots and the
Departments Offices, because according to him they are independent bodies,
empowered by an Act of the National Assembly.  Mr. Touray denied having any
close associate of his, accused or arrested for transferring 9,000 Pounds
Sterling from the Gambia to the UK; and that he was not aware of any close
associate of his, transferring money from the TDA and was arrested; that he
was not aware of any transfer made at the Tourism Department.  He said he
did not read any newspaper about the looting of funds from the Roots
Foundation and has never received a letter in that effect about it.

He indicated that he doesn’t know whether the matter is still on or not but
said that he heard that there was an investigating committee and they have
submitted their reports to the relevant authorities.  He denied that his
wife has any shop in Serrekunda.  He said he does not have any bungalow
building in Manjai but admitted that he has a brother who travelled not
long ago and has a property at Busumbala.  He stated that the property is
just fenced according to his knowledge and that he was allocated the
property in 1989; that the brother was working with the Department of
Agriculture and then Central Bank of The Gambia before he travelled.

Mr. Touray said he once visited Kubuneh when he was the SoS for Tourism.
He said he has built a three bedroom house for himself in his family
compound in the Nawleru village (NBD) and that the construction started in
1998 and was completed in 2000.  He revealed that he spent about Two
Hundred Thousand Dalasis (D200,000) on that building.  “I don’t own any
property in Bakau and plot 148 in Fajara Pipeline.”  Mr. Touray stated
further that he had one in Brufut Heights and this was in 2003.  He
explained that he was given a deadline on that plot and was to pay
D45,000.00 but could not make it.  He said that if the said plot no. 16 is
in his name he would be interested in it.  He said he never exchanged any
plot for another one and that if somebody alleges that he has properties in
Bijilo “this is not true.”  He indicated that Mariatou Beach Hotel was
disposed off when he was SoS for Tourism and was sold for Millions.  He
denied that he did not assist in how it was sold; that he did not receive
any benefit or commission in the disposal.  He said he doesn’t have any
investment in the Gambia Tourism and Petroleum Sectors in the Gambia.  He
said he did not express any desire of acquiring a Petrol Station in
Latrikunda.

He said that none of Sun Beach, Sun Rise and Sun Set Hotels acquired land
when he was in office.  Mr. Touray explained that his wife doesn’t have any
source of income apart from the business she is doing.  He said he did not
have any Bureau de Change and has no personal investment in Camelot.  He
further gave the commercial vehicle numbers of his wife’s as: Bjl 1310B,
Bjl 1325B, Bjl 1320B and Bjl 8444B, which he said brings D3,000, D10,000,
D8,000 and D800 respectively per day.  Saying that at the end of the year
their annual gross income will be D1.6 Million and 10% of it goes to
expenses.  He said that he knows all his wife’s source of income.

Mr. Touray finally explained how his wife started her business saying she
has a brother in the USA who is a High School Coach and when she travelled
there she discussed with her brother about her desire to set up a business;
that the brother helped her.  He said she once had a contract from Golden
Beach Hotel in October 2002 and she earned D235,000.00 at the end of the
contract; that she also started interstate business in 2000 to the USA,
Britain and Europe where she sells smoked fish; that at the end of each of
her trips she earns about US$9,000.