GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Alieu .K. Jammeh" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Dec 1999 04:53:23 PST
It is now less than a week before the dawn of the "next millenuim." Wether
it is a day which on body will live to see,is an absolute statement to make.
It is nevertheless breathtaking these days to come across a plethora of very
wild assertions proclaiming the imminent end of the world. Theories about
the apocalyse; the danger of soon to hapen hitting of the earth by an
asteriod that will extinguish life on earth similar to how the dinosaurs
were faced out from its surface; deadlier and catastrophic conflicts in the
next century - conflicts more devastating than the combined aftermath
effects of the two world wars of the 20th century; Y2K and its consequences
for all non-compliance Y2K appliances; and, at least, this one on a positive
note: that the next millenuim will usher in remarkable period of peace,
progress and happiness. (I'm a well wisher of that one)

All of these are possible scenarios that could occur on any single day even
before the clock ticks up closer to Dec. 31st 1999. For Allah (SWT) says
that, and I quote: "And they say: 'There is nothing but our life of this
world, we die and we live and nothing destroys us except Ad-Dahr (time). And
they have no knowledge of it: they only conjecture." Surah 45:24.

In fact why specifically on Dec. 31st? Why all the noise about a new
millenuim? Certainly the muslims, according to their own counting method,
have their new millenuim way far off. The Chinese calender would probably
indicate something different. The Iranians as well run a different calender.
Anyway, for the whole world to be gripped in fear based on such projections
from the West only seems to confirm how vulnerable we are to their heinous
manipulative powers. It is evidence of the existence of the hegemonization
of the world by the West deep into  our psyche. What if all these theories
turn out to be a mere gambit? Whatever happens, it is likely probable that a
lot of things, if not all human activity on earth, will come to a standstill
on this very day. Yes, that alone should be something fantastic to witness.
The impact is even felt now as people rush to stockpile food and other basic
things. Wow! What a boom for the stores. On the other hand, it is as well a
nightmare for a lot more others. Th Gambia's tourist season has not started
off well as people fear to travel. Imagine the effect on our economy. I ask.
What the hassle. It could all be a trick. Or, perhaps one mad scientist will
just detonate a nuclear warhead in order to prove their hallucinatory
speculations and as a result destroy the world. In fact, huamn being may
ultimately be responsible for his own destruction. We have irrationally
invested into and accumulated methods and mechanisms that could kill all of
us many times over or capable of annihilation comparable to regression to
darkness, gloomy and hopelessness.

My only hope is that the Y2K problem will attack only nuclear warheads to
make them unfunctionable and redundant for good. Then and after then can
meanful peace reign on earth, for a world of equals, a world free from the
atrocities in Checyna, a world free from the arrogance in Kosovo, and a
world free from the numerous wars in Africa, dictatorship and manners of our
own humilation in the eyes of te world.

Allah blesses us all

Alieu