GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
OMAR DRAMMEH <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Oct 2006 23:19:13 +0200
Brother Sidibeh,

This debate has inspired some diverse view points and I am enjoying the exchanges. I?m glad you are familiar with the work of Stiglitz. It is alarming how the policies designed by the International Financial Institutions (IFI) leave African economies so impoverished. The Ethiopian example is common elsewhere like in Nigeria in 1986 when IMF/World Bank prescriptions prompted a spiral of inflation and economic stagnation. A host of other African countries also experienced similar downward trends that paralysed their economies, consequently hindering development. The transformation of the social, cultural and economic structures of these African societies are often a result of myopic and chequered development planned and implemented through weak local institutions (e.g. post-independent leadership) by the powerful institutions in the global arena. Stiglitz`s revulsion and discontent is understandably inspired by this Western economic dominance lamenting ?I saw first hand the devastating effect that globalisation can have on developing countries, especially the poor within those countries?. It is therefore evident that the IFIs contribute in the remarkable deprivation that leads to the mass exodus of these migrants. That I believe is indisputable.

Having acknowledged the negative role of these institutions, African poverty is also a failure of human solidarity, especially in this world of opulence and plenty. The level of disparity in the world leaves the most powerful to expunge and appropriate the resources of the weaker ones as seen in cases where cheap labour is contracted, which creates an inverse relationship of development between the labourer and the employer. In such a setting, the poor are eternally condemned to be poorer. The example you gave on Gambian and Senegalese labourers on Spanish farms explains this disparity. If only the world can learn from the South African concept of ?Ubuntu? that played a significant role in reconciling the nation after Apartheid, a collective solidarity to fight global poverty can in many ways heal the wounds of the many deprived. May be then the number of boats leaving Mbour (Senegal) or the Mauritanian coastline for The Canary Islands will decrease.

Reversing this downward trend calls for a concerted effort, a ?Global Compact? as described by Jeffrey Sachs, but African governments should rethink social policy not as a way of doing a favour to the poor, but as a way of enhancing development. The real freedoms that people enjoy should be expanded in order to enhance their capabilities and free agency. Your catalogue of policy issues to Ginny are spot on. To add to those, it is also crucial to revisit local spaces so as to be able to respond positively to the felt needs of the people who are in a better position to decide their own development agenda, hence a bottom- up approach for a fair playing ground that fosters mutual economic, social and cultural interdependence in the heat of globalisation.

Good night

Regards,
Omar