GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Lamin Sanyang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Jun 2001 10:36:35 -0000
Dampha, you wrote:
>Sanyang, correct me if I am wrong, but I hope you are NOT trying to tell us
>that APRC 'scored some points' over the Opposition when the shameless
>Saihou
>Sisay 'defected' to the APRC from PPP (that does not exist anymore). I also
>hope that you did NOT buy into the GRTS/Observer propaganda that '600 UDP
>followers' defected to the APRC.

Yes, brother, that is exactly what i am trying to put across. Dampha, Saihou
Sisay and Musu Kebba Drammeh represent in the eyes of many ordinary gambians
'symbols of opposition'. By pledging their firm allegiance to jemus, they
are taking with them some numbers badly needed by the UDP, the PDOIS, and
the NRP. What you refer to as GRTS/Observer propaganda is yet to be refuted
by those on the ground. My point is  NOT hanging anybody's dirty linen by
zooming their shortcomings but refusing to give in to wishful thinking. As
an elections' proponent sympathetic to the Opposition i choose to
concentrate on trying to improve the weaknesses on my side of the fence than
burying my head in the sand with the hope that come october we will win. I
refuse to dream on. I abhor jemus and the aprc, i am happy to see them fail,
but at the same time i refuse to close  my eyes when they register progress.
And fact is they are harvesting bumper. Now, my worry is what are we doing
wrong in the opposition that is delivering platinum on jemus' lap? Their
latest strategy, one that is winning over electorates is cause for concern.
Dampha we all know the aprc shortcomings, no one is ignoring their crimes.
Reports are coming from all over; the Independent & Point newspapers, Ebrima
Ceesay's sources, the recent Ebou Colley narrative all speak volumes on the
jemus-aprc atrocities. These reports get the attention due them from
different List members. And Dampha i must say you speak/write well for most
of us. People like myself do not see the need to repeat the same things when
you are through. On the other hand, an area we consciously avoid is 'what
are OUR shortcomings and how can we improve?' .

Dampha, can you recall the PPP congress in mansakonko when Jawara declared
that he was going to retire? Video tapes captured all sorts of emotional
outbursts. In some clips the Saihou Saballys were dancing 'kingho' in
frenzy. On the ground, moaning, were the Aja Fatim Mbengas, not to mention
the Alhagi Abou Sallahs. On their return to Banjul at Mccarthy Square, a
more pronounced demonstration of sentiments was witnessed. 'Jawara, you
cannot retire. Baaba Jawara, this cannot be. Nna kebba, if you leave who can
take after you'. Jawara decided to stay, the disappointment of many and a
frustration to the opposition. Among the most bitter NCP stalwarts was the
slogan 'anybody is better than Jawara'. Jawara brought in senegalese
soldiers to massacre us claiming he was sending a message to Kukoi Samba and
anyone contemplating on a similar venture. July 22nd 1994 gave us jemus. The
devil reincarnated, banned the NCP and murdered our children in broad day
light. Reminds me of Arap Moi. According to Kenyans, Moi seldom comes after
an opposition directly. First, he sends 'a warning'. Armed soldiers raid
your compound. You are tied and pushed in a corner to be witness to the
murder of your family, with the children going first. Lord of the earth and
heavens, we will struggle, we want the best. No one is 'fantazing' that
Sidia Jatta , Hamat Bah or Ousainou Darboe are capable of being killers. My
slogan is 'only the best'. This does not mean that the person should be
short of human fallibilities, not a junior jesus. But simply the best. My
choice is the PDOIS and Sidia. Dampha, who is your choice?

For the rest of the analysis i refer you to Yusupha's response. Yus, my
brother, we are in sync on this one.

Joe Sambou, thanx for the address, you will get my $20. I will be proud to
have my name on the list.
Minos