GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 26 Sep 2006 21:19:37 EDT
FOROYAA Newspaper Burning Issue
Issue No. 81/2006, 26 - 26 September,  2006

EDITORIAL

THE BEGINNING OF THE END OF AN ERA IN GAMBIAN POLITICS

It is an irony that the APRC regime changed the constitution to eradicate
the second round of voting because of the fear that it could not get 50% of the
votes cast in the first round. Now it is said to have won 67% of the votes in
 the first round.
What is responsible for this?
In the 2001 Presidential  elections President Jammeh has 242,304 votes.
Despite the fact that 94,000  voters were added in the register in 2006 alone he
has managed to increase his  popular vote by 22,000 to 264,473.
Needless to say, the Register of voters  now contains 670,336 voters.
However, only 392, 685 voters voted.
NADD had  23,473 votes which constitutes 6% of the votes.
Despite the support of the  NRP and GPDP the UDP vote declined from 149,448
votes in 2001 to 104,808 votes  in 2006. This tends to give the impression that
UDP could not serve as a  vanguard for all the other parties to unite around
to dislodge Jammeh.
It is  now time for opposition parties to go back to the drawing board.
It is very  clear from the results that the voters were concentrating on UDP
and APRC. In  their campaign the UDP emphasized that if the voters in the
opposition cast  their vote for NADD they are casting it for the APRC meaning that
they will help  the APRC to win. The APRC also told their supporters that if
they cast their  votes for NADD they will help the UDP to win. Now that NADD
had only 6 percent  of the votes it could not serve as a decisive factor on
either side. Hence one  cannot say the NADD vote prevented the UDP from winning
the elections. The  Gambian people should now begin to look for a new
instrument to be able to bring  about change. The old instrument has proven to be
ineffective.
This is a time  for people to identify a sober leadership among the
opposition to unite around  to give direction and significance to opposition politics
and move away from  tribally motivated  notions.

ANOTHER FIVE YEARS FOR JAMMEH
By Baboucarr Ceesay

Gambians went to the poll on Friday, 22nd September 2006 to decide who to
entrust with their sovereign power to preside over the affairs of this  country.
As the third Presidential election under the Second Republic, this  election
is one of the most talked about red letters day of the year. The three
aspirants for presidency were Mr. Halifa Sallah of the National Alliance for
Democracy and Development (NADD), Lawyer Ousainou Darboe of United Democratic  Party
(UDP) and the incumbent Yahya Jammeh of the Alliance for Patriotic
Re-Orientation and Construction (APRC).
Voting commenced at 7.00 am. During  the electoral process, reports reached
Foroyaa that the Electoral Codes of  conduct in certain areas are breached.
This reporter went to the Senegambia  Garage in Dippa Kunda to investigate the
matter and he found a man  who  seemed to be in his 60s and a young woman
(confirmed to be APRC members) were  sitting near polling station B100 as if they
have an influential role to play in  the casting of votes by the electorate. A
party agent intervened, but the man  resisted until the NADD patrol team
arrived and convinced him of the  unconstitutionality of his presence on the voting
ground. He said that he was  waiting for his party chairman and ‘Yai compins’
to meet him on the ground; that  he was the one who provided chairs for the
polling staff. But the young woman in  accompany cunningly vacated the premises
whilst the man kept a distance away  from the polling station.
At this juncture, the police officers at the  polling station in
collaboration with the Presiding Officer started to prevent  people hanging or loitering
around the polling station.
In a similar case, a  van wagon, Mercedes Benz numbered BJL 4905 D was found
parked at a junction  between polling station B98 and B99in Dippa Kunda with
an APRC flag. The flag  was untied from the mirror of the transport upon the
intervention of the NADD  vigilant patrol team.
However, voting went smoothly in Farato  and Brikama despite apparent signs
of voters apathy. There was a low turn out of  voters in polling station like
C162A Brikama Neema Geebungoto, C62 Brikama Neema  Geebungoto IEC and C163
Brikama Neemataba Girl Guides Center. In some stations  there were few or
virtually no person in queues before Friday Prayers.
This  reporter met four young women on the way from Brikama Gidda Bantaba
polling  station C165A. These young women were loudly complaining about threats
made by  the President during the campaign. When interrupted with questions by
our  reporter they all indicated that they are definitely intimidated by the
statements that the head of state made during the campaign that neither coup  d
’etat nor election can unseat him. The most out spoken woman among them (name
 withheld) said that her parents did not vote and advised her not to vote
because  Jammeh is capable of creating chaos in the country if he should loose
his  seat.
“Let’s leave the sleeping dog to lie; no matter what, let there be  peace,
if we can manage to survive the situation,” she melancholically remarked.
In Gunjur and Brufut during the voting the atmosphere was normal and
tranquil and voter turnout was considerably better. A presiding officer in a  certain
polling station in Gunjur revealed that there are several people whose  names
were neither in the counter foil nor in the voters list but hold voters
cards and were all rejected by his polling staff.
Foroyaa went to station C44  and C45 at Kafuta at around 3.40pm shortly
before the curtain of the election  was drawn but voters only turn up at random and
always in small numbers. The  presiding officers said that the turnout was
better only in the morning.
When  the ballot drums were sealed at 4.00pm, this reporter went to the
counting  center for Kombo East at the Baffrow complex in Mandinaba. Counting
started at  eleven to 2.00pm. Though the counting was transparent but the security
outnumbered the people at the counting center.
At the end of the whole  electoral process Yahya Jammeh of APRC scored
264,404, Ousainou Darboe of  UDP/NRP/GPDP alliance scored 104,808 and Halifa Sallah
of NADD polled 23,473.  President Jammeh got a 67.3 of the total number of
votes  cast.

DARBOE REJECTS ELECTION RESULTS

Ousainou Darboe, the leader of the UDP, has rejected the result of the
presidential election.
In an interview with the Focus on Africa on Sunday,  Mr. Darboe said that one
of the APRC National Assembly members had signed a  document on behalf of a
returning officer in one of the constituencies up  country.
Mr. Darboe said, “The military presence was very prominent. Some of  them
were well armed. All these were intimidating factors. We do not really  think
that the IEC was really in charge of the process.”
As to what his next  move will be, Mr Darboe said the Executive Committee of
his party will meet and  take a decision on the issue, pointing out that the
decision could be legal or  political.
The journalist further put it to Mr Darboe that the opposition was
fragmented and that is why he did not make an impact on the election.
He  remarked, “That would have been a valid statement if the NADD had also
polled a  considerable number of votes, but that is not the case. I have always
maintained  that a united front is meaningless without a level playing field.
However united  we would have been, the results would have been the same thing.
”
The  journalist further told Mr Darboe that he had contested three times and
lost  three times and each time he complained of flaws. He asked him (Darboe)
whether  people would take him seriously. Mr Darboe retorted: “Those people
who the  situation in The Gambia will take me seriously, but those who do not
the  situation in The Gambia will not take me seriously. Those who support the
APRC  will also not take me seriously. The 1996 election was not condemned by
me  alone. It was condemned by the whole international community. It was wrong
to  say that I am merely complaining. In 2001 I didn’t complain. In fact, I
congratulated the President, although subsequently I discovered that there were
 some flaws. This year I am complaining because I have reasons to  complain.”

HALIFA ON VOTER APATHY

A journalist working for the BBC Focus on Africa programme, yesterday
interviewed Halifa Sallah on the outcome of the presidential election.
Halifa  Sallah said, “We are seeing voter apathy. We are gathered to find out
what was  responsible for that. We have seen that President Jammeh has
received over  264,000 votes and the votes of the main opposition candidate who
contested the  last election is about 104,000 which is a drop from what has been
received in  the past election from Mr Darboe.”
Halifa posited: “We need to get an  instrument to prevent voter apathy and to
get votes from President Jammeh.  Jammeh had managed during his campaign to
show that he is a power that cannot be  removed. If you look at the campaign,
it was an issue of liberation. It is that  type of mentality we must remove
from the people.”