GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 18 Apr 2000 01:08:31 EDT
Rene,
 As you rightly pointed out peace should be the watch word. Some of us who
can
remember the tragic events of July 30, 1981, need not even refer to the
violence in
Sierra Leon; we had mass graves, we had massive looting, women were raped and
maimed. In that short period food was short and people no longer had a choice
of
food. So for those us who remember we know what peace is and what it is not.
  For the Gambia to degenerate to the Sierra Leonean civil war situation, may
God
forbit,is something all of us should guard against
. Like you said, the horror depicted
in that video recording will and should never be allowed to happen in our
beloved
country, I wish and hope that Gambian hearts are not hardened to that level of
callousness..
  We should be resolute on pursing our goals through peaceful means as far as
possible. Peaceful and non violent causes have won victories at a time when a

revolutionary medium like the Internet was not put in place.
 Talking about the internet,Jammeh and his cohorts are yet to comprehend the
might
of this media. Can you imagine how things would have been different in this
particular
situation without this instrument? All Gambians in various countries are
talking to each other like if we are all under one roof, this reality makes
all dictators an
obsolete species. Let us all use this opportunity to expose this regime and
make it
succumb to its knees.
   But before I end this write-up I want to call your attention to the
inherent violent nature
of Jammeh's regime. Since he came to power he has killed, abducted and
tortured
Gmbians to further his own cause. He is pushing Gambians to the wall every day
if they finally reach the wall, which is not far, anything can happen...I
just read a post-
ing on the list which mentioned that people in Mansa Konko have vowed to burn
down the town
if the police should go about arresting their children.
   But with all the volatility of the situation let us work hard and direct
the present movement on a peaceful path.

                      Gibril Gelajo Bah