GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Essau Gambia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 May 2007 08:48:13 -0400
There is a big pandemonium in Serre-Kunda this morning as people run helter
skelter trying to save their lives.  Angry youths have stormed the
Serre-Kunda police station demanding justice in the murder of a Gambian
youth who was shot dead Wednesday night at London corner by a personnel of
the Gambian National Army, the Freedom Newspaper can authoritatively reveal.
The London Corner/Bakoteh Bridge has been blocked by the protesting youths.
Local shop keepers in Serre-Kunda have closed their shops, as the
disturbances gripped the impoverished state. Details are scanty as to what
might have triggered the murder  of the Gambian youth man. The protestors
have gone wild with their attempts to storm the Serre-Kunda police station,
which is heavily guarded by armed police. The accused soldier is no where to
be seen. The people of London Corner are mourning the said young man, who
was a victim of trigger happy Gambian soldier.

An eye witness who spoke to the Freedom Newspaper said Serre-Kunda has been
Chaotic since the murder of the Gambian youth man. There is a growing fear
that the disturrbances might degenerates into an uprising. The protesters
could be seen throwing stones and other objects around the police station
and elsewhere across the Municipality. Traffic has been brought to complete
halt in Serre-Kunda. Travelers  have been rendered stranded for hours.

Meanwhile, a group of armed soldiers have been dispatched to Serre-Kunda to
doze the mounting tensions. Angry youth protesters had out numbered the
police. Local offices in the area had closed due to the disturbances. The
demonstrators say they condemned the murder of the youth in the strongest
terms as they moved towards West Field, Serre-Kunda police station and
elsewhere across the Municiplality.

The Freedom Newspaper local correspondent said many youths could be seen
chanting anti soldier slogans around the Municipality. The soldier was said
to have shot the youth to death without any cause. London Corner residents
have condemned the soldier's action.

The army command is yet to issue any statement regarding  this latest
incident involving  a member of their  staff.  The GNA in the recent past
has been accused of harassing and torturing Gambians with impunity.  As the
disturbances unfolds, many are worried about  what the protest might led to.
For more on this story stay tuned.

All rights reserved. Copying or re-writing our pieces without the expressed
permission of  this leading paper is prohibited. News Organizations and
Research institutions interested in using our pieces are free to contact the
editor before culling our stories. Such organizations must also give credit
to Freedom before using our materials. We thank you for your attention.

 The editor can be reached at the following
addresses:[log in to unmask], or [log in to unmask] If you know
that it's happening or is about to happen please contact us. It's easy. Just
type your info on our contact us file and  then click send. The Freedom
Newspaper is your leading and most authoritative  source of news. We have
the required professionals to serve you round the clock. Get your morning
breakfast news by reading Freedom. We have good stuffs  every morning. At
Freedom, we mean business.

Posted on Thursday, May 10, 2007 (Archive on Thursday, May 31, 2007)
Posted by PNMBAI  Contributed by PNMBAI
Return <http://freedomnewspaper.com/Home/tabid/36/Default.aspx>

   Copyright 2006 (c) Freedom Newspaper, LLC.   :  Powered By
PointClick<http://www.pointclicktech.com/>
  :  Terms Of Use<http://freedomnewspaper.com/Home/tabid/36/ctl/Terms/Default.aspx>

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい