GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 31 Dec 2001 15:43:44 +0100
Dyda,

Fanon wrote:

> "Sealed into that crushing objecthood,I turned beseechingly to others.Their
attention was a liberation,running over my body suddenly abraded into
nonbeing,endowing me once more with an agibility that I thought lost,and by
taking me out of the world,restoring me to it.But just as I reched the other
side,I  stumbled,and the movements,the attitudes,the glances of  the other
fixed me there,in the sense in which a chemical solution is fixed by a dye.I
was ingignant;I demanded an explaination.Nothing happened.I burst apart.Now
the fragments have been put together again by another self……"

It was not the African people who were looking for recognition from the White.
For them it was a question of the right to self-determination. It was the
responsibility and duty of the White to recognised and respect what is
different from them.
 However Seng, like many of his counterparts did fought to get this
recognition, one, their contribution in mastering and advancing the Culture;
the literature, the Lanuage, the philosophy etc of the White man, has been of
great significance, Seng will always be remembered for such a great role.
It was no accident, or intellectual inferior complex why Anta Jobe insisted
that had Seng understood the great African civilisations were built by men of
great minds he would not have attributed the ability to think to one race but
understand that it is human. Negritude lived to demand recognisation from the
White Man and this was not the agenda of the African people and thus this
Ideology as a political movement lived to exist only in the heads of its
founders.
Yes it is true that when we have to judge the importance of a political party
in terms of the number of seats they have in parliament then LDMPT,Ande Jeff,
etc will be of little significance. But if we are to see politics from a wider
perspective, away from that narrow definition then we will see the importance
of these parties in the political development of Senegal. After Seng, the
involvement of these Political parties, he banned, proved that Senegal was
denied the contribution of some of the greatest minds in Senegal.Infact if
they happen to be able to win only one seat, it is democratic for those who
voted for them to be represented by those they voted for. The fact that they
were invited to the reconciliation governement, with LDMPT having two
ministerial posts, shows that it is far from the truth that these were
insignificant political parties in Senegal.Ande Jeff played, perhaps the
greatest role in bringing and holding alive the coalition of opposition
parties that brought the PS government out of power. For almost 15 years Ande
Jeff have been struggling to hold this alliance together with all the
contradictions that were involved. This is the very reason why all these
political parties are over seeing important ministerial post as Works and
Communication.Seng had a great problem in handling his opponent, he was very
brutal, no compromise, he will also be remembered. The role and position of
these political parties, since after Abdou Joof lifted the ban on them proved
that there banning was undemocratic.
I never said that Seng was able stop the Gambia from getting independence, he
could never do so, there was no power on earth that could stop the Gambian
masses from gaing their Independence, and they were very determind. What I
said was that he worked against the Independence of the Gambia. That he was
more interested in having the Gambia been part of Senegal. Even the cross
boarder attacked on poor, defenceless Gambian farmers by the Senegalese army
was seen as a deliberate effort to provoke a military conflict that would give
the Senegalese army and explanation to invade the Gambia.
If the Senegalese army participated in the Liberation war in Guinea Bissau it
was not to help the PAIGC to liberate the conutry. The Senegalese army killed
and short at PAIGC arm forces. I have since been marking consultation on your
assertion that Senegalese forces were fighting together with the Liberation
forces without any success. What is known is that Seng have been given support
to the known anti PAIGC party who were based in Senegal, thanks to the efforts
of the Bissauian people, Savimbi never emerged in this spart of the continent.
In fact many are saying that the tension between these two countries are as a
result of the role that Senegal was playing in that war.
Wishing you and all at the POINT a happy new year.

For Freedom
Saiks