GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sheikh Tejan Nyang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Nov 2000 21:09:34 +0000
                                                           TOURISM- THE
WAY FORWARD

AS stockholders of the sector gather at the senegambia beach hotel today
and tomorrow, we sit and await the outcome of the workshop that will
determine the fate of the important  industry that has been neglected in
terms of investments and sustained attention.
BENEFITS; we see tourism as our biggest foreign exchange earner, creates
employment both directly and indirectly. It boost local production of
goods and services ,brings revenue to government and also  international
understanding among others.
PROBLEMS; the development of tourism goes with the provision of adequate
accessible and affordable services. we cannot exclude the power problems
as top priority and the high energy cost in the country which is also
considered as the highest in the world. The kairaba, senegambia, kombo
beach, siva sun beach pay each a monthly bills to NAWEC amounting to
between D200,000- D300,000. We have not calculated the cost of fuel to
run generators and the wear and tear of these machines. The sector
cannot operate with the outdated 1974 hotel and restaurant act nor can
it  operate under the lack lustre enforcement of the   labour act.
SEASONALLY; the gambia is traditionally a winter destination in the eyes
of our tour operators and it is now time to act and make it an all year
round destination. How ?
as the saying goes'''''''' money makes money'''''
CONCESSION S; need to be given to tour operators for the summer in form
of reducing  airport tax, handling and landing fees among other
incentives. By so doing most hotels will remain open and earn little to
enable them to survive , keep few people employed, reduce unemployment
and reduce social problems.
A trial of domestic tourism should be possible if we look at the low
prices given to operators during this period. The prices are affordable
and the question is who will take the lead ?
ORGANIZATION ; The present set-up of the ministry and department has
outlived its life span  and the proposed commissioning of a national
tourist authority by the secretary of state for tourism is a step in the
right direction. Much as we support the idea, the authority will not
serve it purpose if its not well funded to take care of its
responsibilities effectively. The authority need a hospitable leadership
that thinks and act positively. A leadership that sees eye to eye with
the key players of the industry.
THE PAST ; we cannot talk of the past without mentioning the five year
development plan 1995-- 2000 which has been an album of fine pictures.
NO action,  no tourist, no revenue. poverty increases with mass
unemployment and  more social problems i.e. bumsters, prostitution,
begging etc.
THE FUTURE; the future is bleak if we do not address the key problems of
high taxes, lack of commitment of government to act on time in providing
the necessary financial resources and taking key dices ions at the
appropriate time.Tourism is an action industry and any action delayed
today could wreck the  fragile industry.
We will stand firm in our dices ion at the workshop and take dices ions
that are beneficial and also move the sector forward. The sector
continue to pray for peace ,progress and prosperity

  Chi Jamma,
Bro Sheikh Tejan