GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jassey Conteh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 10 Sep 2002 02:55:58 -0700
Dear Mr. Ousainou N'jie:

Many of us fondly remember people who have been inspirational in our
developments.  Many would acknowledge that it was entirely their parents who
relentless provided the assets of their Successes.  Many further would
realistically meditate and ask, after graduating from high school, who gave me
the first chance of employment?

I fondly remember during an interview for a job at The Gambia Commercial and
Development Bank, you asked me about the political climate in The Gambia.  I
responded by saying that as a youngster, I hope the government would do more
for the Gambian youths.  You said, how about the National Youth Week?  I
replied, well that is only politics for the PPP.

After I was hired, I was shocked to learn that I shared the same phone
(368)with you.  I asked the late Mr. Habib Faye; should I answer your phone
when it rings?  Habib said: "Ousaninou never picks up his phone, but if he
gets a call
just tab the ringer."  You never got upset when I tried to use the telephone
while you were talking.

On one instance when the office was flooded with water, I took a mop and a
bucket to help the janitor.  When you came down from your office, you said,
"Conteh, you are not supposed to do this kind of work."  I replied by saying
that if the files were destroyed, it would take me days to replace them.

For one reason, your father, the late Alhagie Momodou Musa Njie would fondly
tell me in Mandinka to join the PPP.  Those were the days when we could
disagree in principle without being subjucated to political intolerance.  The
Gambia of yesterday is totally different from the Gambia of today.

You knew I was anti-PPP, but you never intimidated me.  You knew I was
planning to run as an opposition candidate in my constituency, but you never
threatened me.  When a former Minister of Economic Planning reported that I be
fired, you took the high road of political correctness by saying no.  When you
asked me whether I would be interested in going to
Ghana for a refresher course, I said yes and you smiled.  How could a PPP
supporter give an opportunity to an anti-PPP candidate that kind of
opportunity?  Those were the days of Sir Dawda, but the current dictator in
Gambia has depleted that kind of political will in our country.

Yes, Mr. Ousainou N'jie, I was just told of your illness 10 days ago.  I had
planned to visit you at the hospital in DC, but Allah took you away from us.
I am indeed in total shock, but I understand Allah's wish.  I know you are
with the angels because you have done a lot for many.  Abdoulie Karim Sonko
can attest for that.

I also know that we are in a position of understanding that life is sacred.  I
also know that it is our responsibility to shoulder those messages evoked to
us in our prime years.

I deeply thank you for suggesting that I stop at your daddy's shop before
leaving for the U.S.  In the White envelope that the elder Njie gave me, was
$300 U.S. as a thank you for prompt services that I rendered him.  I just
could not thank you in time.  But Allah understands.

Finally, Mr. Ousainou N'jie, some of us who worked with you at The Gambia
Commercial and Development Bank knew you as a man of integrity.  Your
constructive suggestions have indeed played a vital role in my development.

With tears, Mr. Ousainou N'jie, I treasure you and I am proud to know
and worked with you.

Finally, a word in Fula:  "Jarama!"

May Allah have mercy on you.

Sincerely,