GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 10 Apr 2007 22:44:54 EDT
Foroyaa Newspaper Burning Issue
Issue No.  40/2007,      9 - 10 April,  2007

Editorial
THE PRESIDENT AND THE SYSTEM OF
ADMINISTRATION OF JUSTICE
After The Words, Action Should  Follow

The judiciary is the last port of call for justice. The law  enforcement
establishments are transit points. The president took a critical  look at the
transit points and last port of call and indicated that there are  unacceptable
delays at all the centres which require rectification.
Foroyaa  will publish the encounter verbatim in subsequent issues.
Our point of  emphasis is to motivate all authorities concerned to march
words into action.
Action Recommended
It is necessary for the Secretary of State for  Interior to establish a task
force to look into all long detentions without  court appearance and all those
remanded in custody without diligent prosecution.  This task force should be
mandated to go to the prisons to discuss with the  prisoners or detainees
concerned as well as to receive complaints from their  families.
As we go to press the families of Mr. Ousman Rambo Jatta,  headmaster Tamba
Fofana, Chief Ebrima Manneh are concerned that since the  president’s speech no
action has been taken to release their loved ones. Action  speaks louder. All
those who treasure justice are waiting for action to  speak.

FATOU JAW MANNEH PLEADS NOT GUILTY
Lawyer Challenges  Jurisdiction of Court
By Fabakary B. Ceesay
FATOU Jaw Manneh, a Gambian  journalist based in the USA has pleaded not
guilty to three charges preferred  against her when she appeared at the Kanifing
Magistrates Court for the second  time on Wednesday 4 April 2007. Journalist
Manneh faces three charges.
Count  One alleges that she acted with seditious intention contrary to se
ction 52(1)(a)  of the Criminal Code. Count Two states: publication of seditious
words, contrary  to section 52(1)(c) of the Criminal Code. Count Three states:
publication of  false news with intent to cause fear and alarm to The Gambian
public, contrary  to section 59(1) of the Criminal Code.
The particulars of offence indicate  that “Fatou Jaw Manneh, between January
and March 2007, with seditious  intention, granted an interview contained in a
publication dated 23 October  2005, consisting of the following words, to
which is included, “Betrayal”,  Jammeh is tearing our beloved country into
shreds, he debunked our hopes and  became a thorn into every issue that is related
to progress in The Gambia, be it  social, political and economic. Worst of
all, he is a bundle of terror. There is  need to speak out . If you look around
The Gambia, particularly at the condition  people live in, you will see what I
mean, that Gambians are desperately in need  of an alternative to this
egoistic frustrated imam of APRC. Jammeh is full of  energy but very negative energy
and he totally lacks direction, what he needs is  to come clear to The Gambian
people and say that he has failed us all miserably,  that he will be doing
everything to revitalize his promises to The Gambian  people, excuse his ten
years in office, rather than forcing us to like him or  forcing us to recognise
the developments that do not exist.”
Jurisdiction of  the Court Questioned
Defence counsel, Lamin S. Jobarteh, raised objection,  pointing out that the
court has no jurisdiction to hear the case due to the fact  that offences were
committed outside the perimeters of The Gambian territory.  Jobarteh
submitted that the charge sheet did not include anywhere in The Gambia  where the said
offences are said to be committed. He argued that the charge  sheet indicates
“between January and March 2007” and that of “23rd October  2005”, which
clearly indicates that the defendant was in the United States of  America. “This
court lacks jurisdiction to hear a case which was committed in  the USA or
outside The Gambia.” He concluded that any matter which is committed  outside
the perimeters of The Gambia could not be heard by court. Citing the  law,
Counsel Jobarteh argued that offences should be within the local limits of  the
jurisdiction. He said that there was nothing in the charge sheet to indicate  who
the publication has been made to. He also cited section 57 of the CPC to
back his claims. Mr. Jobarteh argued it is certain that the act was in the USA
during that period. “Therefore, no court, not even the high court or the court
of appeal has the power to hear this matter. Under the circumstance and to
the  fact that the counts are uncertain that she granted an interview to whom,
not  here, we don’t know who to prepare our defence to, we are asking this
court to  rule that it cannot hear this charges for lack of jurisdiction,” he
emphasised.  The state counsel, NB Jones Nebu, asked the court to give her time to
respond to  the submissions made by the defence on a later date. Mr. Jobarteh
told the court  that his client should not even plead to the charges, but
that due to the fact  that her liberty was at stake he will let her take her
plea. He added that under  the circumstances of the case, he was applying for the
accused person to be  bailed in view of two reasons: (1) the counts are a
misdemeanour and are  bailable. He told the court that they are willing to
faithfully adhere to the  conditions. There was no objection from the state counsel
for the bail  application. Magistrate Buba Jawo later granted her bail in the
sum of D25,000  with a Gambian surety. The Magistrate ruled that the accused
person surrender  her travelling documents to the authorities unless they are
under the control of  the authorities. Jobarteh told the court that the
documents are already under  the control of the NIA. The case is adjourned till
tomorrow, 11 April 2007.
The case was heard in a crowded court room with relatives and friends
showing sympathy and solidarity to the accused person. Fatou Jaw Manneh was
arrested at the airport upon arrival from USA, on Wednesday 25th March 2007. She
spent six days in detention at the NIA, before being  granted bail by the  court.

JOURNALIST LAMIN FATTY’S TRIAL RESUMES
By Bubacarr K.  Sowe
The long drawn out trial of Journalist Lamin Fatty of The Independent, a
local newspaper shut down a year ago, has finally been assigned to Magistrate
Buba Jawo.
Mr. Fatty’s case was adjourned indefinitely at the Kanifing  Magistrates’
Court following the appointment of the former trial magistrate, Mr.  Kebba
Sanyang, as the Secretary of State for Justice, late last year.
Fatty  who is accused of false publication is expected in court today,
Tuesday April  10, for continuation of the matter under Magistrate Jawo.
Before he was  charged with the offence, the reporter spent sixty two days in
detention under  the custody of the National Intelligence Agency (NIA), which
followed the  closure of his paper in late March 2006.
Lamin Fatty was arrested exactly a  year ago, on 10th April 2006. He was
arraigned before the Kanifing Magistrates’  Court on 12 June 2007. The court
granted him bail in the sum of D50, 000 (fifty  thousand dalasi) with a Gambian
surety on 22 June 2006. The first prosecution  witness testified on 27 July 2006.
The second prosecution witness testified on 2  August 2006. The case was
adjourned till 31 August 2006 but the case did not  proceed because the
prosecution said its last witness had travelled. Since then  there were four other
adjournments for the same reason, the last date of  adjournment being 9 October
2006. At that proceeding, the magistrate vowed that  if the prosecution failed to
bring their last witness he would not only  discharge the accused but acquit
him, noting that there have been two many  excuses from the prosecution
regarding the case.
The matter was adjourned  till 25 October but the case did not proceed. On 7
November the prosecution  failed to appear and defence counsel urged the court
to strike out the case but  the magistrate declined to do so.
The case was then adjourned till 20  November but by then the then trial
magistrate was appointed as Secretary of  State. The case was adjourned till 5 and
19 December 2006 respectively.
On  the 19 December 2006 Lamin Fatty was told that the case was adjourned
indefinitely.

OMAR NDOW CHARGED WITH ECONOMIC CRIMES
By Bubacarr  K. Sowe
Omar P. Ndow, former Managing Director of Gamtel who was last week  arraigned
at the High Court is facing a six count charge of economic  crimes.
Appearing on behalf of the accused person on Wednesday, April 4th  before
Justice S.M. Monageng, defence counsel Sheriff Tambedou told the court  that he
wanted to file a submission before the accused person took his  plea.
The prosecutor, Marie Saine-Firdaus, told the court that the acting  Director
of Public Prosecution, Emmanuel Fagbenle will prosecute the  case.
Below are the six charges Mr. Ndow is facing: Count One, economic crime
contrary to section 5 (a) of the Economic Crimes (Specified Offences) Decree,
Number 16 of 1994. The particulars of the offence are that as Directors of
Gamtel, a public body, between 2004 and 2006 he willfully or recklessly entered
into a contract between Gamtel and Huawei, a Chinese company, at the cost of
eight million, one hundred and seven thousand six hundred and four US dollars
and fifteen cents (US$8,107,604.15) without GPPA’s approval, thereby committing
 an offence.
Count Two states that Mr. Ndow committed an economic crime  contrary to
section 5 (c) of the Economic Crimes (Specified Offence) Decree, No.  16 of 1994.
The particulars of the offence state that between 2004 and 2006, in  a manner
injurious or damaging or adverse to the Gambian economy, he paid eight
million, one hundred and seven thousand, six hundred and four US dollars and  fifteen
cents (US$ 8, 107,604: 15) to Huawei without GPPA’s approval.
The  third count states that Ndure contravened section 5(e) of the Economic
Crimes  (Specified Offences) Decree, No. 16 of 1994. Its particulars indicated
that  between 2004 and 2006 in a manner injurious or damaging or adverse to
the Gambia  economy, paid the same sum to Huawei without approval of the Central
 Bank.
Count Four also states that he contravened section 5 of the Economic  Crimes
(specified offences). Decree, No. 16 of 1994. The particulars show that  in
the same period the same sum paid to the same company is a breach of the GPPA
Act and Regulation, whereby financial loss or damage was caused to  Gamtel.
Count Five also states that he contravened the same section and  decree
intentionally or by omission in a manner detrimental to the economy of  The Gambia
by entering into a contract in the same sum and the same company  during the
same period.
Count Six states that Ndow was disobedient of a  statutory duty contrary to
section 115 of the Criminal Code. The particulars of  the offence state that
between 2004 and 2006, without complying with the  provision of the GPPA Act, he
willfully or by omission entered the said contract  with Huawei.
Mr. Ndow will be back in court on April 12th to answer to these  charges.

URR FARMERS VOW TO INCEREASE PRODUCTION
By Mamadi  Sanneh
Members of the URD Agricultural Commercial Farmers’ Association, on  Monday,
paid a courtesy call on the Deputy Governor of Upper River Region,  Momodou S.
Kah, to brief him about their activities. At the briefing meeting at  the
Deputy Governor’s office, the President of the Association, Alhaji Ba Jeja
Jawara, spoke about his Aassociation’s development plans that include empowering
farmers to take up commercial farming in order to increase food
self-sufficiency  in the region.
Speaking earlier, the Deputy Governor thanked members of the  URR Commercial
Farmers Association for their visit and assured them of his  office’s support
at all times. Mr. Kah told them of Government’s commitment in  attaining
self-food sufficiency for the rural Communities.
The  Divisional Agricultural Coordinator, Jereh Sanneh, also expressed his
office’s  support and called other farmers to emulate this bright example.
Speaking on  behalf of the Association, Alhaji Hammeh Jabu Kurubally, Alhaji
Buchineh  Trawally and Alhaji Amara Bajaha all spoke of their association’s
determination  in increasing food production in the region and called on other
commercial  farmers to join them.

LETTER TO NADD EXECUTIVE BY EX-FLAG BEARER,  HALIFA SALLAH
Continuation
I am not sure how many votes the APRC campaign  team received because of
their message. It appears to me that the hope many had  that if the seat is taken
they will receive rewards from the president compelled  many of the APRC
aspirants to the post and the candidate as well as their group  leaders to work as
a team and avoid the dangers of a split in their  ranks.
This was evident on the day of voting as the group leaders hanged in  the
wings with mobile phones to check whether the people they have mobilised  have
voted or not.
Needles to say, the absence of the youth in particular and  many people who
were decisive at the polling centres were also evident. What  made this a
possibility is still a mystery to me. This mystery has to be  resolved if any party
is to make headway in the future. The degree of induced or  voluntary apathy
is a indeed a threat to Gambian democracy.
The UDP campaign  team relied mainly on the support base of the party to
conduct their campaign.  Their criticisms were mainly directed at me and not the
APRC candidate. They  gave the impression that the APRC candidate was a poor
choice, which was done to  enable the UDP to take the seat. Some of the members
in their campaign team  would thank those they alluded to be in the APRC who
had done them a favour by  selecting that particular APRC candidate.
In explaining why I should not be  elected they claimed that I had done
nothing for Serrekunda Central but kept on  giving figures after figures of
different sorts that can never change anything.  They emphasised that what the
constituency needed was development and not just  figures and analysis. They
highlighted the lack of facilities in the  constituency and claim that I have done
nothing to make them available.
Some  of them took personal shots at me by saying that I look down on a
particular  ethnic group.
In the house to house and community campaign they told their  supporters that
I was responsible for the UDP’s failure to win the presidential  elections
and should be taught a lesson by making me to lose my deposit.
The  candidate argued that he was young and that I belong to the old guard
and cannot  be with the youth to enjoy cigarettes, clubs and ceremonies.
I don’t know  what impact their campaign method had on the results but it did
not help the  image of the UDP in Serrekunda central. Many prominent
personalities of the UDP  approached me to distance themselves from the UDP campaign
issues in the  constituency.
I was the incumbent. I had to give analysis in general but was  also
compelled to be accountable to my electorate in the face of claims that I  was not
delivering. As a personal philosophy, I have always associated the  promotion of
self with deficit in humility. This however is applicable in social
interaction but very much out of tune with the tennets of democratic  representation
which calls for accountability. I therefore had to do what I have  always
refused to be tempted to do, that is to put my record on the election  platform.
My campaign team therefore relied on both analyses of the general  functions
of a National Assembly member to try to prove that I am more competent  to
perform such functions than the others as well as present my record over the
five years for review.
On the NADD platform I emphasised to the electorate  that a Sovereign
Republic is a country own and by its people; that he or she who  is not conscious of
his or her ownership of the country cannot be considered a  sovereign citizen.
That the first chapter of the constitution establishes Gambia  as a Sovereign
Republic emphasises that sovereignty resides in the people; that  it further
went on to safeguard the power of the people by asserting that those  who are
managing the affairs of the state must derive their authority from the
consent of the people and must utilise the authority entrusted to them to  promote
the liberty and prosperity of the people. I argued vehemently that where  there
is deficit in liberty and prosperity the people should hold those they
entrust with power accountable and if they are found to be deficient in their
ability to safeguard public trust they should replace them with those who are
capable of addressing their needs and aspirations. I indicated that the voters’
card is an embodiment of the sovereign power of each citizen. That it connotes
 that each of us has equal say in managing the affairs of the country; that
each  sovereign person is accountable to posterity in how he or she goes about
entrusting his or her power to representatives.
I emphasised that anybody  accorded the will power to choose have a duty to
rely on reason to assess  options and make informed decisions. That the
progress of nations towards  liberty and prosperity or their lapse into poverty and
tyranny rests on the  choices the electorate make and the decisions they take.
I told them that  before they elect representatives they must know the
functions of public  offices.
I explained that there are three branches of institutions of  representation
whose functions the other candidates and their campaign leaders  have been
either unable or unwilling to distinguish, that is, the executive, the
legislative and the local councils. I indicated to them that the local councils  are
responsible for paving the streets, providing public taps, toilets,  urinaries,
parks, playing grounds, markets, council clinics, schools and other
facilities by taxing market vendors, compound owners, taxi drivers, companies  etc. I
told them that no one had paid duties from markets, garages and compound  rates
to me to provide them with services; that this is paid to councils; that  if
services are missing it is the APRC councillors who should be held
accountable for the underdevelopment of the area.
To be  continue

JAWARA TO HEAD OBSERVER MISSION
By  Sarjo-Camara-Singhateh
The President of the Economic Community of West Africa  states, (ECOWAS)
Commission, Dr. Mohamed Ibn Chambas, has appointed Former  President Jawara as the
Head of the ECOWAS Observer Mission to Nigeria for the  forthcoming
Presidential and Legislative elections.
The appointment of the  mission is in accordance with Article 13 of the
ECOWAS Additional Protocol on  Democracy and Good Governance of December 2001.
The mission will comprise  about three hundred and fifty observers from all
the ECOWAS member states and  will last from 10 to 25 April 2007.
Former President Jawara is expected to  depart Banjul today, Tuesday, 10
April 2007 for Lagos, Nigeria.
The mission  is tasked with monitoring the electoral process in Nigeria.

AT THE  COURT MATRIAL
“NO SALARIES FOR ACCUSED FOR 1 YEAR”-Lawyer Mboge
By  Fabakary Ceesay
Defence counsel Lamin K. Mboge, counsel for 2nd accused  Lieutenant Pharing
Sanyang and Corporal Samba Bah on Thursday 5 told the court  that the accused
persons have not been paid salaries since April 2006.
Mr.  Mboge told the court that his clients have informed him that they had
not  receiving their salaries since April 2006. “I have vital information and it
is a  fact that they are not having their salaries.” The judge advocate,
Justice  Akimoyae Agim, ruled that the court is not the right place to raise that
issue  because the accused persons are on a criminal trial. He said that they
can write  to the authorities to remind them about the matter. Counsel Lamin
S. Camara also  raised the issue of the confiscated items of the accused
persons. He said that  he had for a long time filed a motion to the court. Before
going further, Agim  ruled that, that matter would be addressed on the next
sitting date when he  (Camara) has would have filed his address to the court.
On the filing of  their written addresses to the court, state counsel
Emmanuel O. Fagbenle, said  that he had received the address on the 4th and 8th
accused persons. He said  that he had not received any other address concerning
other accused persons. He  said that he is ready to adopt this address which was
dated 19th March, 2007.  Fagbenle indicated that he was ready to go into the
address on the 4th and 8th  accused persons. Counsel Mboge also informed the
court that he had filed his  address on the 4th April, but added that he did not
know whether the clerk had  served the court. Counsel Camara said he was yet
to finish his report, but told  the court that this will be the last time that
he will ask for permission from  the court to file his address. He lamented
that the relevant part of his address  is ready. He added that he has a problem
in accessing some legal documents,  which he thought are absolutely necessary
to the determination of the case.  Camara indicated that he was writing
addresses on four accused persons who are  standing criminal trial at the
court-martial. He said that the charges against  them are very heavy. “It takes the
prosecution twelve days to file their  address. In the interest of justice, we
humbly asked this honourable court to  give us few more days to finish our
addresses,” he said. Mrs. Sainabou Wadda  Ceesay, a co-counsel for Captain Yaya
Darboe also told the court that they would  file their report by the next
sitting. She said that they were yet to finish  their address. Mr. Nene Cham Chongan
also asked for extension of time.
Justice Agim then granted the application, but warned that the defence
should file their addresses by Tuesday 10 April at the latest. He said they  don’t
want anymore delays in the case. The president of the court, Commander  Sarjo
Fofana, said that they would not allow anymore excuses for adjournment,
saying: “We are saying that today will be the end of war, we would not take
anymore excuses.” Captain Bunja Darboe, Captain Yaya Darboe, Captain Wassa  Camara
and Second Lieutenant Pharing Sanyang are standing trial at the  court-martial
on the charges of treason, while Captain Abdou Karim Jah, Captain  Paul J.
Mendy, Lieutenant Momodou Alieu Bah, Corporal Samba Bah, Lance Corporal  Babou
Janha and Private Alagie Nying are facing charges of concealment of  treason.
They have all pleaded not guilty. The case  continues.

9 JAILED FOR ARMED ROBBERY
By Fabakary B.  Ceesay
Ten alleged arm robbers were, on Tuesday, arraigned before Magistrate  Pa
Harry Jammeh. Nine of them pleaded guilty and were convicted and sentenced to
mandatory jail terms, ranging from seven to ten years with hard labour. The one
who pleaded not guilty was remanded in custody.
According to the offences,  the ten accused persons, in different groups, and
at different locations, broke  into people’s shops and houses contrary to
section 283, laws of the criminal  code of the Gambia. The particulars indicated
that on the 13th January 2007,  they broke into the shop of one Nicohlas
Prestine and stole an amount of D57,  000, 1,200 US dollars, Gamcel and Africell
Credit Cards amounting to D1, 400. On  the 24th March, they also broke into the
shop of one Alfusainey Bah at Kololi  with intent to steal. On the 15th
February, they again  broke into the  bureau de change shop of one Demba Dibba, at
Plaza Serrekunda, and dragged the  safe towards London Corner. The state
prosecutor, CSP Burama Dibba, told the  court that all these incidents were reported
to the police by the victims. He  indicated that an investigation was mounted
by the police and arrests were made.  Dibba told the court that the accused
persons were cautioned and statements were  taken from them. Prosecutor Dibba
indicated that they confessed that they were  responsible for the breaking in
of many shops in Serrekunda, Bundung and London  Corner. He said that one of
them, Soriba Conde, was very helpful to the  police.
When delivering judgment, Magistrate Jammeh said that armed  robbery is an
act which is unacceptable, unspeakable, abominable, barbaric and  cruel. “Your
actions have left people in panic. You went with all kinds of  weapons breaking
into peoples’ houses and shops. Your this enterprise needs an  urgent stop. I
will sentence you to a term so that people who are doing this act  or about
to do it can learn a lesson from it,” he emphasised. He therefore  sentenced
Ebrima Jallow, Muhamed Darboe, Malick Sarge and Mambiram Gaye to seven  years
with hard labour. Abdoulie Baldeh to nine years, Soriba Counde, Cherno  Jallow,
Abdoulie Jobe and Ebrima Suma to ten years, all with hard labour.  Magistrate
Jammeh also ordered that after their jail term, the non Gambian  nationals are
to be deported back to their respective countries. Amadou Camara,  who
pleaded not guilty was remanded and was supposed to reappear on the 11th  April. The
case was tried at the Kanifing Magistrate Court amid a heavy security
presence, including the PIU, police, plainclothes and immigration officers with  a
crowd of onlookers who filled the court room and the premises.

EX-GCAA DIRECTRESS GENERAL SHARED ALLOWANCE WITH HER  ASSISTANT
By Bubacarr K. Sowe
Maimuna Taal, former directress general of  the Gambia Civil Aviation
Authority (GCAA) used to share with her assistant her  allowance of $500 dollars from
the airport improvement project, a witness told  the High Court on Tuesday,
April 3.
Prosecution witness, Herbert Jaw who is  GCAA Finance Manager said this while
under cross-examination at the economic  crimes trial of Mrs. Taal.
Mr. Jaw responded to the defence counsel, Antouman  Gaye that Taal requested
for only US$350 and directed that the remaining sum be  given to her
assistant. He said that both members of the project team were  recipients of the
allowance, including himself. He added that their predecessors  in the project were
also receiving the allowance, which is coming from the 85%  provided for by
the Kuwaiti Fund. The project according to him was initially $21  million U.S
Dollars but increased to $46 million U.S dollars during Malick  Cham’s tenure as
Director General.
Mr. Jaw said that he is honestly and  legally receiving the allowance, since
the funding agency is still funding the  project and no one at the Department
of state for Finance and Economic Affairs  has ever questioned their
management team on the allowance. He also said that he  is not aware that GCAA’s Board
Members ever complained about it.
He  recognised his signature on a payment voucher and admitted making
payments,  indicating that it was part of his terms of reference.
In an earlier  examination by the prosecutor, Marie Saine-Firdaus, Mr. Jaw
said that he is also  doubling as financial comptroller of the airport
improvement project.
He said  the project comprises procurement of equipment, construction of
airport access  roads and the runway, refurbishment and rehabilitation of the
terminal building,  procurement of stand-by generator, among others.
He told the court that the  said project was in two phases; the fast track
and the normal scope. The fast  track phase which he said commenced in 2002 is
technically incomplete, as the  consultant still wants the contractors to do
something.
Jaw said that he  cannot remember when the normal scope phase started as they
were experiencing  funding shortfalls. According to him it is being
collectively funded by the  Kuwaiti Fund and BADEA at 85% and the GCAA under The Gambia
government at 15%.  The contract coordinators are receiving US $500 dollars
each, he said, while the  project financial comptroller and the project
coordinator earn US$350 as  allowances. They also have project vehicles, he added,
with the coordinator  getting 1000 dalasis for telephone allowance and the rest
of the team gets 750  dalasis.
Continuing his testimony he said that the payments were stopped when  they
were at the National Intelligence Agency (NIA) in January 2006, but resumed  the
following month. He could not tell the court when the accused person stopped
receiving her allowance, unless he consulted his files. He identified a
payment  voucher of the accused person’s last allowance which is dated September
2005 in  which she received 9,700 dalasis equivalent to $300 U.S dollars. He
also  recognised a July 2006 payment voucher of the accused person in which she
received 15, 000 dalasis equivalent to $500 U.S dollars.
Jaw identified other  vouchers paid to her in October, November and December
2003, and January 2004 in  the sum of D37,020 equivalent to $1200 U.S dollars.
The prosecution witness  told the court that apart from being the project
financial comptroller he plays  no other role.

Trial of Pa Sallah Jeng
“I don’t know whether BCC  receives subvention funds,” says witness
By Bubacarr K. Sowe
Howsoon  Semega Janneh, a prosecution witness in the economic crimes trial of
Pa Sallah  Jeng, on Tuesday said he does not know whether the Banjul City
Council (BCC)  receives subvention funds from the Government.
Mr. Janneh, the Director  General of The Gambia Public Procurement Authority,
made this statement under  cross-examination with the defence counsel, Lamin
S. Camara, before Justice  Monageng at the High Court in Banjul. He added that
he does not know whether it  is also a statutory requirement for the council
to receive subvention funds from  the central government.
The GPPA Director General said that public funds such  as rates, taxes,
subvention funds and funds from donor organisations, such as  the World Bank and
African Development Bank all require GPPA’s approval in any  form of
procurement, as stipulated by the Act.
Earlier on, in his  examination-in-chief, Mr. Janneh said that he began
working with the GPPA on  February 1, 2003 initially “as compliance Manager and
then as Acting Director  General as at now”.
Mr. Janneh said that the GPPA was established by a  National Assembly
enactment on December 24, 2000 and assented to by the  President on February 1, 2001.
It’s mandate, according to him, is to monitor and  approve procurement
activities of procuring organisations such as Departments of  State, Parastatals and
local government authorities.
He narrated that there  are different forms of procurement methods among
which are open tender,  restricted tender and signal source tender.
Janneh revealed that there was a  request from the BCC for purchasing a
towing ambulance on a single source basis  and the contract was approved because it
was already procured. He added that,  had the procedure been followed, the
supply of the ambulance would not have been  approved by the GPPA because there
are many dealers in second hand goods who  would have tendered bids. On the
request for the purchase of a garbage  compactor, the supply was not approved
since BCC did not follow the  procedure.
The request according to him was made by the council’s Chief  Executive and a
follow up letter was made by the Mayor. He said that he went to  the BCC to
enquire about the request but found that the garbage vehicles were  already
there even before they approved their buying. On the purchase of a  second hand
pick-up vehicle, he said that it was not approved, which was BCC’s  third
request. This, he said, was done by the Chief Executive Officer on a  single source
tender which did not qualify the method.
Mr. Janneh told the  court: “I do not know whether the garbage compactors
were valued for money and  they also would not have been approved if procedures
were followed,” stressing  that other dealers would have been invited.
He also went on to say that  before any procurement awards are made for any
contract, the contractor needs to  be registered with the GPPA.
The purpose of following its procedures, he  noted, is to minimize corruption
and ensure transparency and accountability  which ultimately benefits the
economy and tax payers.
Mr. Janneh continued  his cross-examination the following day, Wednesday,
April  4th.

FOCUS ON POLITICS
DIBBA’S FIRST ELECTION CONTEST  AGAINST SIR DAWDA
We have been focusing on the History of the Gambia from  pre-independence to
post independence era. Earlier on, we had shed light on the  N.L.P. (National
Liberation Party)led by Mr. Pap Cheyassin Secka in 1975. Let us  pick up from
where we had left. The forth coming general elections was slated  for 1977.
Mr. Dibba spent the whole period going up and down campaigning for the
presidency. He had on his side few members of parliament. Influential elders,
illiterates for that matter who had contributed tirelessly in his campaign.  People
like Pa Harley Jammeh of Bakau who left the PPP to Join him and Mr. Mass  Jobe,
Mr. Solo Dabo, a businessman and so many others, who left the PPP and Mr.
Gibou Jagne who left the UP to join the NCP. Elites like Mr. Bakary B. Darboe
also joined and so on.
All is not also well with the PPP. The workers  continued with their strikes
in protest of the break down of the talks between  them and the Government.
For example, the G.U.C electrical workers downed tools  but the G.U.C
administration intervened quickly to avert humiliating the  government because it was
done just the following day 19th January 1976 after  the return of President
Senghor from an official visit to the Gambia.They were  protesting over what they
called discrimination among workers in the Civil  Service in the various
departments.
The same year (1976) witnessed the  downing of tools by the Public Works
Department drivers and mechanics on 18th  October 1976 in demand of what they
called their “residue of Waller’s  recommendation. They claimed unfair treatment
in the award of their “back dues”  as was done to other workers in other
sectors of the department. Their Trade  Union backed them who later negotiated
with government.
The PPP and N.C.P  both criss-crossed often with hitches and skirmishes. For
example, during the  PPP rally in Sukuta, according to the Gambia Outlook
reporter, one Suntu Konta,  whilst speaking on PPP Platform, he used insulting
language against non PPP  members apparently dissatisfied with the low turn out
at the rally. He was  heckled by one Momodounding by shouting that “if you
people want others to  support your party, you cannot get them by abusing them.”
According to the  Outlook, Konta told him that it was none of his business as
he was not invited  to the meeting. It was reported that with the exchange of
words, Konta descended  from the platform and assaulted Mr. Nding which caused
an uproar, culminating  into a fight dispersing the crowd, leaving Yai Compin
women to run  helter-skelter.
1976 also witnessed the pilgrimage of Sir Dawda to the  Kingdom of Saudi
Arabia. He retuned on the 8th of December 1976. he was accorded  rousing welcome
at the Yundum International Airport by high ranking officials of  the PPP
diplomatic corps, heads of departments and other eminent personalities.  Such
occasions were utilized to acquire the required publicity stunt.
The NCP  also held a meeting in Brikama and a Kemo Jatta was said to be
severely beaten  by their members. According to Outlook Kemo was acting arrogantly
when the  Police arrived prompting his arrest and subsequent detention at the
Police  Station.
The U.P and the NLP stormed the news when the two held a joint rally  at Sam
Jack Terrace, and Mr. Sekou George acting as the Chairman informed the  people
that the U.P and NLP had formed a coalition. He said people were saying  that
the U.P was dead. He said the U.P was not dead; that it was maybe because
they were not seen campaigning when the PPP had already started its campaign. He
 said the three seats in Banjul were secured for the U.P and the NLP. He did
not  say anything about the NCP. That was the time, the people knew that the
NCP was  going it alone. Could the NCP win an election without other opposition
parties,  became the question of many observers.
But the NCP was struggling to convince  its members that they could win the
election. During his provincial tour, he was  given a white horse to ride on at
Toro Village which he did symbolizing victory  to the throne. At that meeting
Mr. Dibba was made so confident that he declared  according to the Outlook
that “It is self-evident that the NCP would form the  next government of the
Republic of The Gambia.”
The Gambia Outlook captured  the return of S.M. Dibba from the provinces when
he crossed from Nuimi and  Badibu. According to Outlook, he was given what
was described as a presidential  welcome on Friday 18th June 1976. the Outlook
said Kunkurangs danced, running to  and fro, in preparation to make way for
arrivees to enter their vehicles and to  allow him to enter in his Dibba’s car
and to proceed with the hundreds of lined  up motor vehicles. The reporter
described it as one of the longest carcades ever  seen in Banjul. The procession
went through streets in Banjul and ended at the  residence of Mr. Dibba at New
perseverance street, with slogans such as “down  with Jawara,” etc.
The NCP also had a rally at Bakau where Mr. Pa Mass Jobe  expressed optimism
that the NCP was going to win. Was the prediction based on  objective analysis
of the political scene at the time or was, it made just to  encourage other
people to vote for the NCP? He criticized Jawara’s pilgrimage.  He said Jawara
did not fulfil the obligations before going to Mecca such as to  see to it
that people were properly well cared for; that there was hunger or  Mal-content
in the country etc. referring to the hunger marchers protest. So he  asked, “
What did we have?” He said there was unrest in the country, referring to  the
worker’s strikes, people were dismissed from their jobs and the country was
left in complete mess. So he asked “Why the pilgrimage when your children are
hungry?” There was laughter and claps.
Mr. Dibba also spoke and said even if  the PPP won the election, it could
only accomplish 30% of the five year  development plan. He criticized the lack of
prioritizing things by the  government.
Mr. Demba Jawo who was a young Freelance Journalist, made his  prediction in
his focus on the electioneering at the time, that the anticipation  of some
people for a sort of a loose alliance of the three opposition parties to  put a
United Front against the PPP was rather unlikely, judging from the  difference
in approach to fundamental issues between the NCP and the U.P/NLP  coalition.
According to him, the PPP still appeared to be very strong despite  the
intensive campaigning launched by the opposition in some parts of the  country,
especially around Banjul and Kombo. According to him, the question was  whether
the PPP would get an absolute majority to form the next government, was  as he
said anybody’s guess.
Mr. Demba Jawo  in his letter to Outlook  analysing the different parties’
stand point said, there was not much difference  between them. He said apart
from the NLP which he opined advocated for what he  called Pseudo-Socialism, all
the rest appeared to be conservative capitalists.  He said their only opposing
views, he opined, were, who should head the  government of the country? He
concluded that neither of them (the opposition)  was likely to effect much
changes in policy, either foreign or domestic and said  only the approaches were
different.
Mr. Jawo also described the NCP as a one  man party which centred everything
on the shoulders of the party leader. He said  the PPP referred to them as
dissatisfied or disgruntled elements which he Jawo  agreed with.
On the U.P/NLP Alliance, Mr. Jawo opined that it was prompted by  ethnical
ties between the two leaders and not less so by the sense of  regionalism
because as he said, both drew support from Banjul. Their doing  better rest on their
combined strength, he opined.
On the PPP, Mr. Jawo  analysed it as bureaucratic in Outlook eventhough it
had managed to become a  truly nation-wide party cutting across both tribal and
regional  boundaries.
So as it stands now, The Gambia was poised to go into an election  having
parties almost of the same programmes. The nomination day for the  presidency was
done on the 14th March 1977. according to the constitution in  1977, the
party returning the most members to parliament would be vested with  the
unquestionable right to elect from among their ranks and file the person  they deemed
suitable to fill the exaulted post of Head of State of the Nation.
According to the Outlook, the PPP nominated Sir Dawda K. Jawara and Hon.
S.M. Dibba was nominated by the NCP, before Sir Philip Bridges at the Supreme
Court No.1. Each party must have over 100 registered voters supporting their
nomination. It was also reported that Mr. S.M. Dibba experienced difficulty when
 he wanted to enter the court premises because the PPP supporters refused to
leave the area after their nomination and his own supporters who turned out
in  large numbers which prompted Police Intervention.
See next issue for the 1977  campaign proper and elections.

Wallidan Thump Sait Matty,  Ports Wobble B/United
By Musa Barrow and Madiba Singhateh
Wallidan FC  produced a master class performance to beat Division 1 returnees
Sait Matty 4  goals to 1, on Wednesday at the Serrekunda West grounds.
It took Wallidan  only seven minutes to unlock their opponent’s defence,
Amadou Gaye received the  ball inside the 18 yard area and he rifled pass the
helpless Sait Matty Goal  keeper. The 2005 league champions cruised to the top of
the table at the expense  of Real who had game against Armed Forces did not
proceed due to the latter’s  engagement in the ongoing Walo football
competitions.
The remainder of the  second witnessed an intense battle between the two
sides as each side struggled  to establish their dominance. Both sides created
several goal scoring chances  but fine goalkeeping and poor finishing, ensured a
lone goal for the first  period.
When hostilities resumed in the second period, Sait Matty’s hope of  getting
back to the game were shattered as they were in the receiving end just 3
minutes into the second half. Pa Modou Ngum’s sublime free-kick doubled  Wallidan’
s advantage in the 47th minute and in 66th minute; substitute Sainey  Touray
made it three to the dismay of Sait Matty. At this stage the remainder  was
just a formality as Wallidan pass the ball round the length and breath of  the
park as Sait Matty chased mere shadows. However, Lamin Sanneh snatched a  goal
back for Sait Matty in the 88th minute and Wallidan complete the routing  deep
inside injury time, when Amadou Gaye grabbed his second of the day.
At  the Serrekunda East grounds, Gamtel drew two against Steve Biko in the
other  game of the day.
On Thursday, Gambia Ports Authority FC, humiliated Bakau  United by three
clear goals a the Banjul playing grounds. It took the Ports only  7 minutes to
take the lead through Gibou Drammeh who headed twice to beat  United’s keeper.
And three minutes later Hatab Badjie made it two killing off  the game. But the
humiliation was not finish until the 86th minute when teenage  substitute
David Sambou lobbed the ball over the Bakau United keeper to register  Ports’
third goal.

Gambia Win WALO Sports Competitions
By Amie  Sanneh
The Gambia Armed Forces won all competitions in the 34th WALO games at  the
Independence Stadium. The GAF football team defeated their Guinean
counterparts in the final 3-2 in post penalty shootouts whilst Abdoulie Sonko  emerged
champion in the wrestling category.
In the final of the football  category on Saturday, Abdou Darboe put the
Gambian side ahead in the 34th minute  of the first half and the Guineans leveled
terms in the 88th minute when Alsony  Bangura capitalized on a defensive error
by the Gambian defense.
GAF could  have put the game beyond the reach of the Guineans as they created
numerous  chances but their efforts shied away from goal. And when the
Guineans leveled  terms memories of their first encounter in the group stages
resurfaced when the  Guineans fought back to level the three goals deficit they
conceded in the first  half. As both sides struggled to steal the day at the last
gasp but the final  result had to be decided on penalties. And as luck seemed
to be on the side of  the homers, their Keeper emerged the hero as he stopped
two and another flew  wide conceding only two.
To wrap the competitions in style, Abdoulie Sonko  proved indomitable in the
wrestling combats, lifting the President Jammeh  donated trophy. The football
trophy was also donated by President Amadou Tumani  Touray of Mali.

Zone II Boxing: Gambia Collect 3 Medals
By  Madiba Singhateh
Gambian fighters collected three medals in the recently  concluded zone II
boxing championship at the B.O Semega Janneh hall at the  Serrekunda East
playing grounds.
Patrick John Mendy knocked out Guinean  Momodou Samba Bah to collect gold in
the 69kg category whilst Babucarr Camara  and Tijan Kebbeh took Silver. Camara
fell to Jose Correa of Cape Verde in the  64kg category. Tijan Kebbeh was
also knocked down by Senegalese Assan Faye, the  African champion in the 75kg
fight.
The three have now qualified to represent  the Gambia in the All-Africa games
to be held in Algeria in July this year. They  will also participate in
another competition next month in Madagascar.
Gold  medalist Patrick John Mendy, when speaking to Foroyaa-sport called on
government  and the general public to support boxing and in particular their
trip to  Madagascar. Mendy started fighting in 2006 is hoping for an early
preparation to  put up a good showing in the far south.
Other winners also include Jose  Tavere of Cape Verde 51kg, Moodoou Serifou
Diallo Guinea 51kg, Marleye Camara  Guinea, 91kg and Oumar Jatta Senegal 91kg.
Sierra Leone will host the next Zone  II boxing competition.

Sukuta Playing Field to Go Green
By Musa Barrow
The Sukuta football  field will be grassed to transform the ground into a
standard playing field, in  an eight hundred thousand dalasis (800,000) project
by the Sukuta Youth and  Sports Association (SYSA).The project which was
launched by the SoS for Youth  and Sports Sheikh Omar Faye, will also include a
perimeter fence round the  playing ground.
In his introductory remarks, Buba Cham chairperson of SYSA  said the source
of funding for the project is gate fees donations and  fundraising activities
undertaken by the association. He emphasized that the  cardinal objective of
his association is to develop the young in order to enable  them fully
participate in nation building, and applauded the various football  clubs in Sukuta for
their understanding.
Also addressing the gathering,  Sheik Omar Faye called on the youths of
Sukuta to exercise discipline noting  that discipline is the cornerstone of success
in life. The SoS further  challenged the youths to do away with the practice
of constant “attaya” drinking  and make the best use of the playing ground.
The National Assembly member of  the area Honourable Adama Cham and the
President of the Gambia Football  Association Seedy Kinteh also addressed the
gathering.