GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
YERO MAMA <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jan 2002 14:42:56 +0000
Sidibeh,
        Brother i quite agree with the undermentioned statement from your
end! Neither was i taking the defeatist position nor the other entangling
end. Sidibeh i have been one of those who used to admire your positions in
the past so i would not be surprised if you easily understand my point after
this one(laugh).
Actually my standpoint was to define what you just said,the west has both
good and bad cases to send to us there4 blind-folded acceptance on our side
may sometimes push us towards trampling upon our fellow countrymen sooner
than later.
An independent mind is the best tool after all,whether when facing the west
or the North!
If you dig into the archives of the L you will see where i quoted Peter
Abraham's book(a south African  writer).The former said in one of his novels
that..." all whites are bad and all blacks are good is false,like wise all
blacks are bad and all white are good is equally false" The context as far
as the above quotation fits the then apparthied era,indeed it can be
borrowed for our debate thus to fit the case we are discussing right now.
Last week during our debate on the expulsion of the EU delegate from the
Gambia i did reiterate the fact that,no state or gvt for that matter can
say:" we do not need the EU!" Indeed saying that wouldn't embedd wisdom.
Hopefully my position is understood as far as dealing with the west is
concerned.

Mandela's apology Mr.Sidibeh wasn't for Abacha to clip on a shoulder as a
medal,No! he did apologise because those who presented the issue meant to
let him think of Nigerians and not Abacha.
Sanctions,expulsions etc weren't going to reduce Abacha's plate of salad!
But it was going to harm the Nigerians as individuals.I was not also
defending Abacha per se but recapitulating on a point where Africans meant
to sacrifice Africans only to be recognised by the west.There are bad eggs
as far as western leaders are concerned but the rectifications amongst them
are done with more concern than if it were amongst us brother.
Another factor is that i did mention that this was a camera session,  the
french call it huit-clos during summits.These are sessions similar to those
of the UN security council's-they aren't usually publicised.So the "wheres"
and "whens" in trying to bail you out may not be prudent for me but if u
wouldn't mind i can try and get you in touch with A diplomat from Swaziland
and a former Ambassador of that KIngdom to the UN he will surely tell you
the place and time without any delay.This is meant to let you know that the
information is factual and not "slippery".

Ndey:
    Thank you for the analysis and i know that you will tell me your
position by tomorrow so till then i will be gathering more convincing facts
for you sister.
Hope so Accra isn"t that hot?!

YEROPULLOH.

"On the other hand dismissing off-handedly, gestures of solidarity, be they
rhetorical or otherwise, from Western governments with the struggle of
African people for democracy, is utterly defeatist and self-destructive".

>But kindly bail me out here. Where and when did Mandela apologise for
>taking a principled stance against the murderous dictatorship of General
>Sani Abacha?
>
>Thanking you for your time.
>
>Momodou S Sidibeh
>(Stockholm/Kartong)

"YEROMAMA PULORI GALO HAAWA BAROGEL N'DIMOU"
"Speak the speeches and let the speeches not spit you."