GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Madiba Saidy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jun 1999 21:02:45 -0700
Why men are promiscuous
- by James A. Fabunmi

Why explain the obvious? It is difficult to be yourself when everyone
around you expects you to be different. Very often, the male species is
confronted with an assortment of accusations, among which is their
propensity for indiscriminate sexual liaisons. I am speaking in averages
now. There are women who are every bit as promiscuous as men. But then,
why does the law of averages tend to place men at a higher risk of being
unable to resist promiscuous behavior? The most faithful husband (on the
surface), faced with a gorgeous bimbo on an isolated tropical island,
has no chance. Why? Well, I have always had a theory about this, and I
have articulated this theory on a number of occasions to very carefully
selected audiences. The only reason that I am able to write publicly
about this theory, is because I read the same argument in no less a
magazine than Glamour (May 1999 p.306 “Why are men so easy?”). Yes, I
read Glamour magazine. If you want to survive in this world, you need to
know the secrets that women share among themselves. A good place to find
those secrets is in Glamour magazine.

It would really be easier for me to derive a differential equation for
my theory, but I might loose out on the majority of my audience. So, I
will try to narrate the concepts, hoping that my point will come across
somehow. The easiest way to visualize what I am about to state is to
imagine two separate islands A and B. Island A is populated by women
alone, while island B is populated by men alone. Let us attempt a
controlled experiment. On island A, we introduce a pair of males. One
promiscuous, one normal (whatever that means). On island B, we introduce
a pair of females, one promiscuous, one normal. The normal male on
island A finds a mate and remains faithful to her. Over the course of
one year, they are able to produce no more than one offspring (except of
course if they have twins or triplets or whatever). On the other hand,
the promiscuous male on island A, technically speaking could reproduce
as many offsprings as he can find women to copulate with him. As you can
see, in a matter of one year, the population distribution on this island
is already infested with more people with promiscuous genes in them. Of
course there will be male and female among those offsprings. Lets now
look at island B. Over the course of one year, each of the females can
only produce one pregnancy, regardless of how promiscuous one is,
compared to the other. The growth of promiscuity within a population
does not depend on the starting ratio of promiscuous women to
non-promiscuous ones.

The picture painted above is used to establish the basis that the rate
of change of promiscuity within a population is governed by the rate of
production of promiscuous males within that population. For the simple
fact that the non-promiscuous males are not going to spread their genes
nearly as fast as the promiscuous males, it is not difficult, even for a
non-mathematician to speculate that at any given moment in time, the
statistical tendency is for the males within that population is to be
promiscuous. This brings me to the issue of morality. It is clear that
the only way to stem the rate of growth of promiscuous males within a
society is to contain their natural tendencies with laws of all sorts.
There are two components to these laws. One component aims at making the
male species feel guilty about their biological tendencies. The other
component aims at discouraging the females from cooperating with these
males. We can throw in to this mix the impact of contraceptive
technologies. The rest of the analysis is left as an exercise for the
reader.

Peace

James.