GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
yanks dabo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Nov 2007 17:23:17 +0000
"all i say is,if any gambian knows he/she cannot work with yahya's government then don't accept his scholarships". Suntou Touray

Mr Touray; in as much as i tried to reconcile my thoughts to the above phrase of yours, i couldn't bring my conscience to agreement with you on this. I think you have erred in your concept of scholarship. As far i tend to believe it, Jammeh does not give scholarship. It does not come from Jammeh's hard earned money. Instead it comes from the public money of the Gambia, which some how unscrupulously ended up getting the label Jammeh's scholarship. Just like how every other function of our state has now managed to be synonymous to Jammeh's this, Yahya's that, which ever way you put it.

My question is, if Yahya is doing all these things what is the state, he is supposedly be heading, doing for our people. Of cause, Jammeh should be commended for all things he is doing for our people; but who is to be blame for it not been done by our state? You ask me this question, i will answer you with one word name "Jammeh"! Simply; he is the head of state that is doing nothing worthy of a praise. However, that same Jammeh acts like he is some "father Theresa" bailing our government. No, this is not the case; it is more like Jammeh bailing Jammeh. The man is confuse between running a state and running a charity. He thinks he owns the Gambia and we are all living at his mercy.

Jammeh has never given a scholarship and can never do so; simply because he cannot afford it. Every thing that Jammeh claim to own even today, has a question mark over it. If you ask me; they are all proceeds of crime; i.e the crime of 1994 military coup. Nothing he is claiming to have own at present is own by him, none of them can come within his estate. You wait and see the confistication of Jammeh's properties; when he is no longer "dictator Jamus". Do you remember when Jawara left; what property of his has he left behind?

The Gambians are entitle  to have their education funded by their state; that is what happen in the United Kingdom and there is no precondition that after their studies they should work for the government of Britain. Gambians should therefore accept scholarship from their state; even though this will be translated into Jammeh's scholarship, and yet be able to exercise their freedom to choose who they wish to work for rather than Jammeh.

My father paid my school fees in the Gambia and i am working in London; if Yahya Jammeh can argue on your lines, Mr Touray, then my father has every right to ask me to go and work for him in the farm, in the Gambia at present. The premises of your argument with Karim here is fallacy that cannot work. You make it sound like one's freedom to choose where he wants to work can be bought by Yahya Jammeh scholarship; my foot!

In fact, if my facts are right; that Yahya Jammeh himself benefited from a government scholarship; a government which he did not just not work for but toppled, that is the ungrateful maniac you want others to be enslaved for!

No chance!

Don't take no offence Mr Touray!

Brethren Yanks