GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Momodou Camara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Sep 2002 12:58:40 +0200
On 22 Sep 2002 at 12:25, Fye Samateh wrote:

> Thanks Again Mr. Camara.
>
> African leaders must defend their people from such atrocities regards
> to their political conscience.What is happening in the Ivory coast is very
> unfortunate as the security forces killing people indiscriminately.The
> oppositions are targeted everywhere other African nationals including
> Gambians might be killed.I think the president is paranoid and should
> enforce law and order to protect every life.Perhaps is time we have an
> African NATO to cross any military coup and defend our people from
> dictators on the continent.Once again thanks keep up the good work and
> have nice sunday.
>
> Respect
> Fye Samateh.

Bro Fye,
We saw the launching of African Union just a few months ago and I think this
episode in Ivory Coast is a test for the union. The only reaction from the
union so far is the following press release.
-----------------------

The Interim Chairperson of the Commission of the African Union, Mr. Amara Essy,
is following with deep concern the events that took place in Côte d’Ivoire
20 September 2002(COMMUNICATION AND PUBLICATIONS)

PRESS RELEASE NO. 23/2002

The Interim Chairperson of the Commission of the African Union, Mr. Amara Essy,
is following with deep concern the events that took place in Côte d’Ivoire
involving the elements of the armed forces.

He would like to recall, once again, that peace and security were indispensable
factors for building the African Union and implementing its programme, NEPAD.

He further recalled that the African Union, through the Decisions and
Declarations on unconstitutional changes, adopted by the Algiers and Lome
Summits, adopted an unequivocal position on unconstitutional changes.

The Interim Chairperson condemned all acts that would violate those principles
and call into question the legality of the Ivorian authorities devoted to
universal franchise.

The Interim Chairperson appealed to all the active forces of Cote d’Ivoire to
remain calm and to show restraint and to be involved in the search for
appropriate political solutions in the scrupulous respect of constitutional
legality.

Addis Ababa, 19 September 2002