GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Hamjatta Kanteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 May 2001 13:26:13 EDT
[log in to unmask] writes:

> << We just cannot exhibit intellectual know how without
> sacrificing few dollars to our struggle.  These actions
> my some of the comrades clearly indicate an agency
> theory.  We are determined to maximize the profits (win)
> of the opposition, but some of us are bent of the desire
> of individualism.
>
> Dr. Saine indicated that he would call friends who still
> have not contributed to our fund drive.  I therefore want
> to borrow a page from him and call on the following
> people to send in their contributions: Messrs Lamin Manneh,
> Kebba Dampha, Sanusi Owens, Bamba Laye Jallow, Yahya
> Darboe, Momodou Olly Mboge, Hamjatta Kanteh and the rest
> of the gang.  We must match our intellectual zeal with
> our pockets.  We just cannot do the talk and don't
> do the walk.  I therefore urge the above to send in their
> contributions.  We can only be serious about our
> opposition to the dictatorship in The Gambia when we are
> willing to contribute. >>

Mr Jassey-Conteh,

Well, first of all Gambia-L is not an intellectual forum but a forum for all
Gambians regardless of how well or how they wish to express themselves. So
why do we obsess ourselves with this talk on intellectualism? Lets give it a
rest. If people want to show off, i'm pretty much sure there are forums
online where they can parade their stuff to their peers who are more incline
to be appreciative of what they intend to "exhibit".

On the question of contributing to the fund for a united opposition, i happen
to be residing on the other side of the Atlantic and here in Britain, whilst
we remain committed to funding a united opposition in the coming elections,
we also happen to be doing our own thing.  It seems to me that the difference
between us is that we don't see how we can give our moneys to people who
haven't reached agreements with us as to what we should expect from them in
return. I don't know about anyone else, but speaking for myself, i view this
contribution as an investment and would only invest provided certain
conditions prevail. Anyway, us in the UK have figured a long while that what
prevails is not constant with with hopes and anxieties in a post Jammeh and
in the event have been working on a document that will seek to rectify the
current flaws. In due course, James will be available to give an overview of
these things we have been and are still working on. Rest assured that if the
conditions that i seek prevail, there would be no question about me
contributing to the election funds.

In my opinion, you are good person but like all good human souls, flawed
nonetheless. Your flaw is unwittingly a self-righteous thing. But unlike most
self-righteous stuffy people on this List, you are a good person. And i
always feel a bit constrained to engage you when i see you go too far in your
zeal.  Mr Jassey-Conteh, we mustn't be dismissive of what others are doing
for the struggle. There are a lot of decent things that people are working on
offline and they do not go about showing off. Each must do what each can in
their peculiar circumstances. None should dictate to anyone what they should
do with their lives or the manner in which they should contribute to the
struggle.

Finally, i urge you to please drop your defence of Almamy Touray. If he is
worth defending, he will not join the APRC no matter what it is the UDP had
done to him. There are opposition alternatives to the UDP; if he is believes
passionately that Jammeh is wrong for the country in 1997, what has
significantly changed about the political landscape to warrant him to join
the APRC. After all, wasn't it the same APRC that had butchered those
innocent young souls - some of whom hail from from Touray's Niani
constituency - and to this very minute remains unrepentant? You are too good
an individual to pick the cudgel up for Touray.  Almamy Touray should have
been expelled from the UDP the moment he was criminally incriminated in human
trafficking in Belgium. At any rate, if he were a decent man, notwithstanding
his problems with the UDP, he wouldn't join a party like the APRC. He could
have joined the PDOIS or NRP.

All the best,

Hamjatta - Kanteh