GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Amadu Kabir Njie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Sep 2004 15:52:48 +0200
Hi Oko!

I have read part of your posting; not bad but I think you missed the
reporter's point by a wide margin. I always try as, practically as possible,
to separate the message from the messenger.

What the guy tried to do is reproduce what rappers in Dakar claim; that rap
(taasu and kebbetu) originated from West Africa and their rapping only means
that rap has finally returned home, to which I entirely agree. Tuut Njie,
Yamundow Jobe, etc., and those before them, are testimony to that.

Dr. Saine once wrote on Gambia-L that even the origins of jazz has been
traced to West Africa. That it is the word 'jahass' that has been corrupted
into the name jazz!

Did you know that in present-day Cuba there is still 'Kankurang' with
'jafoo' and cutlasses, danced the same way we do in The Gambia? Or that
Yoruba dances and songs are still alive there centuries after being brought
there by kidnapped Africans?

So though rap in its present form may have originated in New York, the fact
still remains that Africans have rapped for centuries.

Regards,

Kabir.

"Oko Drammeh" <[log in to unmask]>