GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ebrima Ceesay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Mar 2003 23:34:59 +0000
Greetings "Koto" Badou Jobe:

My belated condolences to you, on the passing away of your good brother and
childhood friend, Paps Touray. I should have sent you an e-mail message
earlier, but I hardly find/have time to write on the Internet these days,
due to a very tight academic schedule this term.

Anyway, thanks for the instructive piece on Albert Harb. I enjoyed reading
it, and hope you'll write/send more. Send my regards to Irene.

Njok Malick: In the UK, there is indeed a very rich and diversed literature
on "Gambian Studies"; and apart from politics and economics, the literature
on Gambia does cover other important aspects of Gambian life/society,
including our music.

The invaluable contribution(s) to African music of people such as Badou
Jobe, Paps Touray, Albert Harb, Jali Lalo Kebba Drammeh, the late Soundiolou
Cissokho, Amadou Bansang Jobarteh and others might have been
ingnored/undocumented by Gambians in the Gambia, but that is not the case in
the UK. Some of these people's contributions and achievements in African
music are very well documented in Britain.

In fact, next time I am in London, I'll introduce you, God willing, to the
works of the well-respected ethnomusicolist Dr. Lucy Duran, who is one of
the world's leading scholar/authority on African music.

And since you are living in Britain, I would also recommend that you
regularly listen to her radio programme entitled "World Routes" aired on BBC
Radio 3, and also available on the Internet. (Check the BBC Web Page)

Dr Lucy Duran, an American, is a lecturer in African music, Department of
the Languages and Cultures of Africa, at the University of London's "School
of Oriental and African Studies". Her expertise, among other things,
includes the music of the manding culture, the development of popular music
in post-independent Africa and the interconnections between African and
Carribean music.

Lucy, who did live in The Gambia for some time learning HOW to play the
Kora, has written extensively on Gambian music, especially our traditional
music.

She is also an expert on the "Wassalou" sound - the kind of music played by
Oumou Sangare of Mali. In fact, if my memory serves me right, Lucy was among
the first researchers to document the history and evolution of the Wassoulou
sound from Mali.

She has recently edited and contributed a chapter to the book, "Sunjata,
Gambian Versions of the Mande Epic" on penguin classics.

Regards,
Ebrima

Surf together with new Shared Browsing
http://join.msn.com/?page=features/browse&pgmarket=en-gb&XAPID=74&DI=1059