GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Yusupha C. Jow" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 May 2002 11:07:02 EDT
Haruna:
I wouldn't necessarily describe the ghastly suicide bombers as 'soldiers of
conscience.'  After all, how can anyone who claims to have a conscience
engage in the act of blowing up innocent civilians.  It is 'un-Islamic' to
kill innocent folks.  The grand Ayatollah has condemned it as being 'an
antithesis to the teachings of Islam.'  The grand Imam of Mecca has also
condemned it very recently.

Not only is suicide bombing morally wrong, it always serves to set back any
efforts at negotiation.  For example, the attack of yesterday cut short
Sharon's visit to the USA and therefore put on hold any progress towards a
peace settlement.  In such instances, I don't blame Israel for deploying
their forces to the problem areas where these acts are planned.  These folks
who plan these acts are simply against peace.  How else can one explain the
timing of the attack yesterday; it happened right when Bush and Sharon were
meeting.

I abhor suicide bombings primarily for the two reasons outlined above; i.e.,
it is a morally reprehensible act against the teaching of Islam and also
because it constantly hurts the Palestinian cause by creating a situation
which is untenable for any negotiations towards peace and a Palestinian
State.

Brother, since I've given you reasons for my abhorrence of the suicide
bombing tactics, could you tell me why you view these killers as heroes?
Does this means that you also view the Sept. 11 attackers in the same light?

I hope to hear from you soon and please give my kindest regards to the family
both in The Gambia and here!

-Yus