GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Feb 2001 15:17:22 -0500
I hope that even if we (on G_L) are not paying too much attention on the
coming by-elections, the opposition back home (especially UDP) is on full
alert. I remember seeing a few days ago reports stating that Ousainou Darboe
was questioning the decision by the IEC to count the ballots away from the
polling stations (let someone please correct me if I am wrong). I can
certainly understand the opposition's concerns and I respectfully urge them
to be on the watch. What Roberts is trying to do, should be obvious to a six
year old. If the opposition blinks for one second, this corrupt Yaya crony
will steal the elections for Yaya. They want to mess with the ballot boxes.
Simple as that.

For starters, the opposition should insist that the ballots are counted at
the respective polling stations, with IEC officials, APRC supporters and
opposition supporters, present. After the votes are publicly counted and
tabulated, the IEC officials can come together and give a final tally. In
this scenario, we avoid the phenomenon of missing ballot boxes and tampered
ballot boxes.

Plan 'B' for the opposition should be to ensure that they have their own
trusted and armed representatives in any vehicle that is used to transport
these ballots to God knows where. These armed guards should be ready to kill
anyone that wants to steal the elections. This is war. Do not for one moment
trust Roberts to do the right thing. Any opportunity he has, he will do like
he did in 1997 and steal the elections for Yaya.

The opposition should not give these vermin any opportunity to tamper with
the ballots. The ground rules have to be agreed upon right now and the rules
have to ensure a level playing field. If Yaya or Roberts are trying to give
APRC an advantage, the opposition should be ready to pounce on Yaya and
Roberts.

These seats are for UDP to keep. Under no circumstances should they allow an
impotent like Yaya to collude with cowards like Roberts and steal these
seats for APRC. If the opposition sense foul play, they should blow the
whistle forthwith. We should take steps to monitor the elections and make
sure that it is fought on a level playing field. Let Roberts also know we
have our eyes on him. The rapidity with which he called these elections, is
noted. The press should ask him to explain why the IEC is dragging its feet
on Local Government elections.
KB