GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
momodou olly-mboge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Oct 2000 17:17:32 GMT
YUs,

Your analyses of Kofi Annan's role on  African issues is quite apt.  In as
much as we understand the constraints of his position given the bullying
tactics of the west(notably the U.S and the U.k), Annan could have used his
position to champion African issues more vigorously.

As you mentioned in earlier postings that part of his brief is being a
provocateur, one would have expected more from him.  However, the role of
the U.N in Rwanda of which Annan happen to be directly responsible then as
the head of Refugee Issues demonstrated a very feeble attitude towards
African problems. It is a fact that he never acted on reports coming from
Rwanda.  He even went to the extend of silencing the then Canadian General
responsible for U.N troops in Rwanda. It is saddening whilst Rwanda was
sinking Annan was busy with the problems of the former Soviet satelites(
Yuguslavia and he rest).  His indifference to African issues was profound
when he visited Gambia.  He could have highlighted the issue of governance
with the irksome moron we have the Gambia.

The former Unesco Director, the Senegalese Historian Amadou Makhtarr Mbowe
stood up to the bullying of the Reagan and Thatcher govt.  During his twelve
year tenure he was able to initiate a lot of positive projects on African
Culture and Education.  He was faced with all form of negative propaganda.
He was accused of corruption and being extravagant.  His wife was not even
spared by the media.  An attempt to sully the integrity of the lady was made
by the Reagan and Thatcher acolytes in the press.  In the end all they could
do was to withdraw their subscriptions to UNESCO.

Whatever, the short-comings of Mbowe, his legacy demonstrated a proactive
role by an African in the running of a world organisation.

Africa needs a more proactive voice in the U.N and any other organisation.

We should also review  the role of the our own organizations(ie OAU) whose
record is rather unremarkable.

Regards,

MBoge

regards,