GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 14 Feb 2000 17:28:30 -0000
Saul,

We have been out of touch these days because of the interruption of the
telephone lines by Gamtel who are engaged in some form of installation.

I have seen that you have not disposed of your elasticity in drawing crude
conceptions without the slightest attempt to rely on facts. You want people
to believe that you hate lies but you do not hesitate to fabricate what is
essentially crude falsification of situations.

Take the first paragraph of your posting.

You wrote:

+ACI-I have to begin by congratulating you for exercising good judgment by
refusing a post in Yaya Jammeh's cabinet. If you had accepted his bait, I
have no doubt in my mind that by now you would have been one of the +ACI-has
been+ACI- (the group of used, dejected, and disgraced professionals who fell for
Yaya's patriotism Bs.) Some people have called you honourable for that. I
prefer to use +ACI-good judgment+ACI- 'cause honourable is normally reserved for
doing the opposite of what you did. Maybe, it's my inquiring mind, but I
wonder why you're trumpeting your refusal to serve Yaya. You rejected a
position, which if you had taken, would lead to your discredit. Smart move+ACE-
But unless you want people to read more into it than there is, why should
that be evidence that you did see something wrong with Yaya's presidency. My
whole contention hinges on what you said (as oppose to every other
politician) when Yaya started feeling the waters regarding his true
intentions at the time.+ACI-

Saul, Saul, Saul+ACE- you are making an increasingly rapid progress in becoming
a master in substituting what is relevant for what is frivolous+ADs- what is
factual for what is a fiction. What do you hope to gain by throwing about
all this empty phrase?

Clearly, anyone has the right to interpret situations as he or she pleases.
There is, however, an honest and dishonest way of interpreting situations.
You have chosen the dishonest way in the face of abundant facts to prove
that I did not accept a cabinet post because of the principle that the
Jammeh government cannot build the type of society that we have always
devoted our lives to construct.

Only a person who is capable of closing his or her eyes to the truth when
they see it can come to the conclusion that you have reached that the
refusal of a cabinet post is just a smart move.

Facts are very stubborn, Saul. The facts are already before the members of
the L. I hope you will go back and read our letter of 24 July 1994 addressed
to the coup makers. These fundamental principles are engraved in that letter
as thus:

+ACI-In our view, it will be a fatal mistake to hold that power is vested in the
barrel of a gun. Power really resides with the people. Without the people
there can be no country to lead. There can be no government. There can be no
economy. The people are, therefore, worthy of respect no matter how ignorant
they are of their rights at a given moment.

+ACI-This is precisely the reason why PDOIS has established five fundamental
principles so as to ensure that it is ever loyal to the interest of the
people.

+ACI-First and foremost, we are committed never to take power at the back of the
people.

+ACI-Secondly, we are committed never to participate in a government that is
taken without the participation of the people.

+ACI-Thirdly, we are committed never to participate in a government that is not
serving the interest of the people.

+ACI-Fourthly, we prefer to resign instead of using force against a people to
retain a manner of government that is no longer wanted.

+ACI-Fifthly, we prefer to resign instead of using force against a people who
are dissatisfied with the economic policies of our government.

+ACI-These are the fundamental principles which will make PDOIS never to be
indicted as an enemy of the people. You may wish to commit them to memory.
Of course, we know that history does not develop as we wish. Hence, we do
understand your concrete realities. We are, therefore, willing to contribute
our quota in an advisory capacity so as to build an electoral system which
can enable the people to determine their representatives freely and
fairly....+ACI-

In a letter conveying my position on the non-acceptance of a ministerial