GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ngai Jobe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Sep 2001 17:43:55 -0500
From Foxnews:
President Bush moved to reinforce his message of religious tolerance and
religious freedom by holding another high-profile meeting with Sikhs and
Muslims Wednesday.

   "We're all Americans, bound together by common ideas and common values,"
Bush said as he met with a group of American Sikhs in the White House
Roosevelt Room. He planned to meet in the same room later Wednesday with
Muslims, and wants to ensure that everyone is treated with respect,
"particularly during this time."
"These citizens bring their hearts with them," Bush said. "I can assure them
that our government will do everything we can ... to treat every human life
as dear, and respect the values that made our country so different and so
unique."

Bush has made a determined effort to stand watch over the principles of
religious liberty, tolerance and an open society as hallmarks of America —
the very principles he believes came under attack two weeks ago by suicide
terrorist bombers.

"The president believes there are certain American principles that are
enduring, and have guided us throughout war and peacetime before,"
Fleischer said. "He wants Americans to be cognizant of those."

Afterward, Bush toured the Central Intelligence Agency to encourage
employees who are working on the terrorism case. He said he is satisfied
with the intelligence the CIA provides and defended CIA Director George
Tenet.

"I've got a lot of confidence in him, and I've got a lot of confidence in
the CIA," Bush said. "And so should America. It's important for America to
realize there are men and women spending hours on the task and making sure
our country remains free."

Much like his visit Tuesday to FBI headquarters, Bush was touring the CIA to
encourage employees who are working on the terrorism case.

"He wants to express his appreciation," Fleischer said. "They have a hard
job to do."

Bush started his day with phone calls to Dutch Prime Minister Wim Kok and
President Nursultan Nazarbayev of Kazakstan. Fleischer quoted Nazarbayev
as telling Bush that Kazakstan would support his anti-terrorism coalition
with all available means.

Kok expressed Dutch solidarity with the effort "and stressed that solidarity
means deeds, not just words," Fleischer said. The Egyptian foreign minister
was stopping by Wednesday afternoon to talk with Bush about U.S.-Egyptian
cooperation. Still pending were Bush decisions on an airline security
package from Transportation Secretary Norman Y. Mineta, and on the need for
an economic stimulus.

Aides say they don't expect a decision soon on the stimulus. Fleischer noted
that Federal Reserve Chairman Alan Greenspan has said it would be more
prudent to wait.

The Associated Press contributed to this report