GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jungle Sunrise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Jun 2002 15:23:27 +0000
While I feel a bit disappointed about the lack lustre treatment of the
abject poverty of Africans, I cannot but put the blame squarely at the feet
of our leaders and so-called intellectuals. It is only in very few countries
that you find a straight leader and an honest following. In most cases,
people are just downright greedy and corrupt; not caring for anybody else
but themselves.

Imagine just a few days ago, while African leaders were lobbying the G8
leaders for support for NEPAD and by extension begging for more money to
squander, Kenyan MPs were busy voting to award themselves almost an
eleven-fold salart increase. It was absolutely disgusting hearing one Mp
trying to justify their almost 11 fold increase of salary from UD $5,000 per
month to US $54,000 per month, making them better paid than US president
George W. Bush, by claiming that as MPs their constituents expect them to be
attending funerals and naming ceremonies throughout their constituenecies.
While they are finding it difficult to pay their teachers a few hundred
Dollars a month, they want to award themselves salaries of tens of thousands
of Dollars. Are Africans really serious about finding solutions to our
abject poverty?

Have a good day, Gassa

There is a time in the life of every problem when it is big enough to see,
yet small enough to solve.    -Mike- Levitt-