GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Momodou S Sidibeh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Feb 2002 23:28:25 +0100
Hi Brothers Buharry and Karamba,

As usual, it is always inspiring to read both of you, and this short
exchange between the two of you has adressed some of the appropriate
questions necessary in order to find a common way forward. However, brother
Karamba's disarming eloquence, his answers nothwithstanding, is one
important reason why he should be read critically.

I fully agree with him, and I think his best answer is that which states his
readiness to work with the Coalition (or what remains of it) in order to
bring about the  short of change it claims to represent. This means to work
within the legal provisions of the Constitution in order to effect change of
government, i.e working towards the next general elections five years hence.
In such circumstances he, like the rest of the opposition, will have to
convince a majority of the population that the present regime's record of
appalling abuses of democratic rights are so horrendous as to warrant not
only a disregard of all  good that it may legitimately claim, but to change
it with another group of politicians on the bases of their promise to do
better.

As for Brother Karamba's option of lobbying solidarity from Western
governments in our struggle to overthrow by democratic means a recently
elected government in Gambia, I should like to opine that it should make
sense to me if indeed that solidarity entends to concretely address
practically the entrenched institutional barriers the West has deliberately
created to block the entire continent's struggle for economic emancipation,
and therefore true liberation.
A number of weeks back, I rhetorically asked why PDOIS inspite of 15 years
of propaganda is able to convince less than 3% of the population that its
Presidential candidate is the best for the job. Brother Karamba's answer was
that the people are to blame. A few days ago in an exchange with YERROPULLO
brother Karambaopined that Africa's leaders are to blame, citing the verbal
initiative of Canada's prime minister at the Economic Forum in NY.  Even if
there is no inconsistency here, perhaps we can all agree that a lasting
solution is that which should rely on Gambians to project their own history
peacefully; and that  must proceed from addressing current realities: the
intolerable abuse of the basic rights of Gambians and commending the
government for doing a damn good job, so far, in developing the
infrastructure.

A good evening to both of you.

Sidibeh