GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Musa Amadu Pembo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Apr 2002 13:34:49 +0000
CSID Statement on Civil Rights & Program updated for CSID 3rd Annual
Conference this weekend

Assalaamu alaikum.

NEW AT THE CSID WEBSITE:

1.)... CSID Statement: "American Muslim Civil and Political Rights in
Jeopardy"

2.)... Updated program available for CSID 2002 Conference

1.) CSID Statement: "American Muslim Civil and Political Rights in Jeopardy"

WASHINGTON, April 3 /PRNewswire/ -- The following was issued today by
Professor Ali A. Mazrui, Chair of the Board of Directors, on behalf of the
Center for the Study of Islam & Democracy (CSID):

The Center for the Study of Islam & Democracy (CSID), a Washington-based
think-tank, is concerned about the serious erosion in civil and political
liberties of Muslims in America. Despite the repeated statements by
officials in the Bush administration, including the President himself, that
"Islam is a religion of peace" and that "Islam is not the enemy," the
American Muslim community has been under siege since Sept. 11. The March
20th raids on several Muslim businesses, organizations, and homes in
Northern Virginia by agents of the Justice and Treasury departments
represent yet another threat to the civil, political, and human rights of
Muslims in America. These raids were especially shocking because they
targeted some of the most moderate, progressive, and peaceful voices in the
American Muslim community.

We wish to emphasize the following points:

1. Civil rights in this country, and in fact around the world, are
indivisible. Once they are violated for a segment of the population,
they are weakened for all.

2. The American Muslim community supports our government's effort to uproot
terrorism in this country and around the world. Our community
should be a major ally, and not a victim, of this effort.

3. Those who are trying to isolate or damage the Muslim community, Muslim
organizations, and Muslim leaders in America are doing a great
disservice to our country, to our values, and to peace, freedom, and
democracy around the world.

4. An investigation into March 20th raids in Northern Virginia should be
conducted to make sure that such abuses will not be repeated in the
future.

We hope and pray that our country will continue to be a beacon for peace,
justice, tolerance, and freedom around the world.

2.) Please note that the updated program for the 2002 CSID Conference on
"Democratization and Political Violence in Muslim Societies" in Washington,
DC, on April 6-7, 2002, is available online at
http://www.islam-democracy.org/documents/pdf//csid_conference_3.pdf

For specific times, see view the complete conference program at
http://www.islam-democracy.org/documents/
pdf/CSID_2001_proceedings.pdf.
Directions:
https://www.starwood.com/sheraton/search/hotel_detail.html?propertyID=741

Center for the Study of Islam & Democracy
Third Annual Conference
"Democratization and Political Violence in Muslim Societies"
April 6-7, 2002
Sheraton Crystal City Hotel
Arlington, VA, USA
CONFERENCE PROGRAM
Saturday, April 6, 2002

PANEL ONE:
"Islam and Political Participation: Ideals,Actors, and Processes"
Chair: Prof. Charles Butterworth

"Excellence and Precedence: Medieval Islamic Discourse on Legitimate
Leadership"
Asma Afsaruddin, University of Notre Dame

"Civil Society in the Democratization Process: A Case Study on Cairo Women's
Organizations"
Wanda Krause

"The Anti-Correlation between Democracy and Political Violence in the
Experience of the Khulafa Rashidun"
Imad-ad-Dean Ahmad

"The Compatibility of Muslims' Beliefs and Democracy: Survey Results"
Moataz A. Fattah, Western Michigan Univ. and Cairo University

PANEL TWO:
"Western Democracies and Authoritarian Muslim Regimes: Understanding the
Relationship"
Chair: Dr. Jamal Barzinji

"Sharia Implementation in Democratic Nigeria: Between Muslim popular Will
and Libertarian Concerns"
Auwalu Hamisu Yadudu

"New Democracy's Globalization and the end of Universal Democracy"
Mohamed Mestiri

"Lessons of September 11"
Fred Dallmayr, University of Notre Dame

"Exporting Democracy to the Muslim World: Relevant Debate?"
Savas S. Barkcin, Bilkent University, Ankara, Turkey

KEYNOTE LUNCHEON
Prof. Tariq Ramadan, College of Geneva, Switzerland
The Hesham Reda Memorial Lecture

PANEL THREE:
"Human Rights in the Muslim World: Meanings, Movements, and Obstacles"
Chair: Prof. Louis Cantori

"Identifying Possible Mechanisms within Islamic Law for the Promotion and
Practical Enforcement of Human Rights in Muslim States"
Mashood A. Baderin, University of the West of England, Bristol, UK

"Transparency and Good Governance in the Arab world: The Importance of
Combating Corruption"
Arwa Hassan, Transparency International, Germany

"Democratization of the Anatollian Peasants of Turkey: The AK Party
Experiment"
Avis Asiye Allman

"Hijacked Democracies: A Study of Turkey's and Jordan's General Elections
(1989-1995)"
Riham A. Khafagy, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

BANQUET DINNER & KEYNOTE ADDRESS

Charlotte Beers (Invited)
Under-Secretary of State for Public Diplomacy

Prof. Akbar Ahmed
Ibn-Khaldun Chair & Professor, American University

Prof. Ali Mazrui
Binghamton University and Chairman of CSID

Sunday, April 7, 2002

PANEL FOUR:
"Political Violence in the Middle East: Causes and Consequences"
Chair: Dr. Anthony Sullivan

"The Social & Ideological Roots of Jihadism"
Kamran Asghar Bokhari, University of Texas at Austin

"Political Islam: Inclusion or Violence?"
Najib Ghadbian, University of Arkansas

"The Muslim World: A Nation with National Security Spirit Lacking National
Security Policy"
Mohyeddin Kassar, University of Illinois

"Constructing an Islamic Vocabulary for Building Democratic Peace in
Nigeria"
Muhammad S. Umar, Arizona State University

PANEL FIVE:
"Fighting Terrorism and Protecting Democracy
Chair: Prof. Tamara Sonn

"Does Democratic Political Participation Reduce Political Violence? The
Contrary Case of the Muslim Minority in India"
Theodore P. Wright, Jr., New York State University at Albany

"Islam, Terrorism, and Global Order"
M. A. Muqtedar Khan, Adrian College

"The Fundamentalist Discourse Between the Clash of Civilization and the
Clash of Politics"
Abdellatif Moutadayene, Laval University, Canada

"Peace Through Justice in the Holy Land: The Spiritual Jihad of Satyagraha"
Robert D. Crane

* * *

For specific times, see view the complete conference program at
http://www.islam-democracy.org/documents/
pdf/CSID_2001_proceedings.pdf.
Directions:
https://www.starwood.com/sheraton/search/hotel_detail.html?propertyID=741

For more information about CSID, please visit http://www.islam-democracy.org
or call: 202-251-3036.

We hope to see you there!

Sincerely,

Svend A. White
CSID Webmaster

With the very best of good wishes,
Musa Amadu Pembo
Glasgow,
Scotland
UK.
Da’wah is to convey the message with wisdom and with good words. We should
give the noble and positive message of Islam. We should try to emphasize
more commonalities and explain the difference without getting into
theological arguments and without claiming the superiority of one position
over the other. There is a great interest among the people to know about
Islam and we should do our best to give the right message.
May Allah,Subhana Wa Ta'Ala,guide us all to His Sirat Al-Mustaqim (Righteous
Path).May He protect us from the evils of this life and the hereafter.May
Allah,Subhana Wa Ta'Ala,grant us entrance to paradise .
We ask Allaah the Most High, the All-Powerful, to teach us that which will
benefit us, and to benefit us by that which we learn. May Allaah Subhanahu
Wa Ta'ala grant blessings and peace to our Prophet Muhammad and his family
and
companions..Amen.