GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Seedy S. Khan" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jun 2004 15:47:36 -0400
All eyes, domestic and international, are now set on the Jarra West by-election slated for July 1, 2004. This National Assembly by-election is of paramount significance mainly for two reasons: First, it is a testing platform for the recently formed opposition coalition. Second, the outcome of this election will ultimately manifests the feelings of the constituents to APRC about the incarceration of Baba Jobe, former National Assembly Member for the area.

Officially, the canvassing starts today, June 16 and will last until June 29. Again, the by-election will be held on July 1. So, who are those leading the various campaigne trails? In order words, who are the candidates? Well, we learned about two: Musa Saidykhan for APRC and Kemeseng Jammeh for the opposition Coalition(Alternative). So, who are these folks?

Musa Saidykhan: I have made more than five calls to Musa's house in Kani kunda in order to get his personal contribution to this piece, but he was never available. However, I was able to gather some information from some members of his family. My findings reveal that Musa is a native of Kani Kunda. He attended Pakalinding Primary School, Armitage High School and Yundum College(now Gambia College), respectively. He rose through the various ranks of the Gambian school system until he eventually became a headmaster. As a headmaster, he served in several primary schools, including Sitanunku(Niumi), Ndemban(foni), Brikama Ba and finally Jamisa(Kombo Brikama) where he retired a few years ago. Since his retirement, he has served in The Gambia Civic Education Program. A source outside of his family informed me that Musa has intermittently shown interest in contesting the Jarra West Parliamentary seat as far back as early 1980.

Kemeseng Jammeh: I made several calls to Kemeseng's house in Si Kunda so as to get his personal touch on this piece , but to no avail. However, I spoke with one Momodou Sarr, a UDP administrative/campaigne officiaI. I made my final call at about 9:00 P.M.(Gambian time) on Tuesday, June 15. Though Kemeseng was said to be out, I was fortunate to quiz one Alagie Jammeh(a brother to Kemeseng) about his brother. I was informed that Kemeseng attended Pakalinding Primary School, Armitage High School and Yundum College, respectively. He taught in Gambian schools for several years before landing in the Ministry of Local Government and Lands as an executive officer. As an executive officer, he served in Soma Area Council(Jarra West) and Kanifing Municipal Council. In 1974/1975, he quit Local Government and joined Sheriff Dibba and NCP. In 1977, 1982, 1987 and 1992, he contested the Jarra West Parliamentary seat against Yaya Ceesay of PPP and lost in all. NCP was disbanded after the 1994 military coup. Finally, in the 1996 Legislative elections, Mr. Jammeh won as a UDP flag bearer against Baba Jobe. He served in the National Assembly as a Minority Leader from 1996/97 to 2001. In the last legislative elections, UDP chose to boycott the elections.Thus, Baba Jobe became unopposed.

Now, who has a better chance of securing the contested seat? Well, I spoke to several individuals both within and outside the camps, politicians and nonpoliticians, young and old, men as well as women and almost all indicated that Mr. Saidykhan has very, very slim chance of winning.

My consultations will continue.

Seedy